German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what some of the more knowledgeable people on this board thought of my pup. I was reading the growth chart links and noticed that my girl really isn't on track with it at all. Here are her stats...

When we got her she was inbetween 6 and a half and 7 weeks old. She weighed 5.5 lbs

About two or three weeks after that she was 13.4 lbs

This last Monday she weighed in at 22 lbs at a week over 3 months old.

Is she underweight? Just right? She seems small compared to the pictures of other puppies of her age. Just wondering so I can have some peace of mind. Thanks guys

Jeremy

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sounds to me like she is in good shape. I just got back from the vet and Mack weighed in at 27 1/2 lbs. He will be 3 months on the 18th of March. My vet subscribes to the slow growth for large breed pups school. He says you should be able to feel the ribs with a little pressure on the sides and as you look down on them you should be able to see a waistline between the ribs and hips. I think the gals are going to trail the guys at all stages in their lives.
Maybe she is just going to be on the small side but as long as she is not skinny for her size, ie the rib thing. Mack's daddy is a real "Hoss. He's probably scaring 100 lbs to death but according to the vet test, he's likely a little overweight.
Are you still letting her eat all she wants? Mack has sort of settled in at 2 cups of Purina One Large breed puppy chow in the morning and two at night. Pictures will fool you a lot of times. Camera angle etc. Those charts are simply a guideline, obviously taken from averages. As long as she's healthy, and I know you do, love her for whatever size she is. She doesn't know whether she's small or big. I'll wager she has a big heart.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Our pups can grow at different rates, but we all do worry! Also the charts are just for a guide, nothing in stone.

What I always do when I have questions like yours is contact the breeder. They can tell you about the past litters so you can compare, as well as updates on the littermates.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My dad had a male pup that was always at the bottom of the growth chart scale for instance when the chart said at 3 months the a male should be 31.3 lbs he didn't reach that until about the end of the 3 months almost going into 4 months. This happen every month too, but he matured at about 80 lbs so he turned out beautiful. He's the dog in my sig.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts