German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I replied to a post below that identified what I thought to be separation anxiety in my shepherd as actual true herding instinct. I need immediate help, which is why I’m creating a separate post.

My GSD is calm at home, but when we are in public and a member of our pack takes ONE step ahead or out, she cries and barks so LOUD that people get startled and become cautious. Everyone literally has to walk behind her, except for the person holding her leash. I am extremely concerned as I’m afraid she will throw herself in front of a car if she sees us cross the street (she has almost done this). She is 6 years old. I really need help with this. Please. It’s as if she thinks we’re abandoning her. I do not want to lose my baby.

She also experiences anxiety in the car until we get to wherever we need to get to and my husband struggles to keep her in check because she is very strong. She is 78 pounds.

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
True herding instinct?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How long have you owned this dog and what training has she had?
I’ve had her since she was 3 months old. She’s done puppy kindergarten, level one obedience, and knows sit, down, high five, leave it, some other commands and when we go out to the backyard with my three month old and I say ssh and tell her not to bark, she obeys. But when it comes to this, it’s always been extremely difficult.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
The behavior that you describe sounds to me like bad manners and its something that should have been corrected immediately. It has nothing to do with herding and may have started as anxiety but now it's just rude.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts