German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing help on figuring out the age of my Shepherd I do not think he's a full GSD. He was abandoned in my neighborhood a couple of weeks ago and I've taken him in and had him ever since. My guess is that he's 8 mths old and he is a mix with a Doberman. Much appreciated with any answers or replies

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
looks more mature than 8 months to me.... possibly no GSD or dobie at all, or he’s a bit of both with a few more things mixed in too. a weight and standing photo to see his build and tail would be more telling.... along with his markings and your location.

kelpie and basenji come to mind...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
His behaviors are he's mischevious and curious very energectic hes very human loving but on other dogs hes confrontational he likes playing with Sticks, football's and a puzzle game I made for him with a plush doll and card board boxes

·
Registered
31,107 Posts
Not purebred but awfully cute. I wouldn't try to guess a breed. I know a dog that looks exactly like a mini border collie whose primary breed came back as pitbull mixed with boston terrier. Looks Exactly like a Border Collie.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Thank you for coming to his rescue! I wouldn't worry about the breed, but if you really want to know you should consider getting a DNA test on him

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
How much does he weigh? I also go with Kelpie and something else. They can look remarkably like small GSDs, but have different personalities.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Wow he looks so much younger than my dog!

I would definitely guess, he is younger than 2...maybe between 9 months to 1.5?
But would have to watch him run around to see how crazy he is... :)

I like his white markings!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You for the responses. I may get a DNA test done Down the Road, I havnt spent to much money on him yet waiting to see if someone is going to claim him.

He is partially trained he knows hand shake,roll and sit. He loves giving hugs.
He can be disobedient especially finding football's in other ppls yards he expects to be chased and he is very fast.
He has lots of energy especially on the loose.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Before you get any more attached to him, I'd take him to a vet to see if he's microchipped. Most vets check any new dog that comes in. But he's certainly a cutie and I hope no one is looking for him. I can tell you I had a founding and I called all the shelters to see if anyone was looking for him, one suggested I take him to local vets to see if anyone recognized him. I put him online and in the newspaper. As to breed, if you care about him, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Knowing what breed a dog is mixed with can help with how you approach their training. He does seem to resemble a kelpie. You could look that breed up and their characteristics/traits to see if he fits the bill.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts