German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start my allergic 7 month old on fish oil but I am a little confuse I am buying humane capsules but which one should I get they have omega-3, omega3/6, omega 3/6/9 and fish oil capsules and what milligrams to use
thanks in advance

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
There is plenty of omega 6 in their diets from their food. I'll send you a PM with the O3 information I looked up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the link, I am feeding him California natural dry food is a limited ingredient diet but they don't specified the % of O6 they only mention .3 % O3.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Just get the regular O-3 fish oils.

1000 mgs of oil per 30 pounds of body weight per day for a healthy dog

1000 mgs of oil per 20 lbs of body weight per day for a dog recovering from an illness or surgery

1000 mgs of oil per 10 lbs of body weight per day for a dog with a chronic illness
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/151910-salmon-oil-dosage.html

That's the doses I use as well. If it's a little bit "overdosed" than what is stated, don't worry. (ie. giving 3000mg to a healthy 80lb dog) As long as the skin isn't getting overly oily you'll be ok. At this point it's a little impossible to NOT overdose Eevee because she was only 4.6lb as of the 25th. Zoey is 14lb and gets 1000mg a day, she's healthy, active, good skin and still kicking, screaming and getting into trouble at 13 years old. xD She's been taking fish oil for about 2-2.5 years now. Eevee was taking 1000mg every other day from the day I brought her home at 6 weeks old and 2.6lb. Now (as of the last week) she gets 1 squirt of Nutri-Vet Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil each day. Even that is recommended "1 squirt for every 10lb". Sure, I could just give her a half a squirt but she's active, growing like a weed and very healthy. Not to mention a beautiful coat!!! So I'm leaving it as is for now. On the other hand, when I tried 5000mg (1000mg per 10lb as recommended on the Leerburg forum) to Chance who was healthy, he got yellow oily gross stinky skin. I took him back down to 2000-3000mg (depending on the season) and he did great on that! :) He got dry skin in the winter months.

I do recommend adding a vitamin E supplement WITH a fish oil supplement though. The fish oil needs the E to process through the body, over time it can cause a deficiency if the vitamin E isn't replaced. For a GSD, I'd recommend 400IU a day.

Even though neither are expensive (so long as you're using human products, the stuff for pets is expensive!!! 8oz of Nutri-Vet for freaking $13!! ON SALE!!! Once Eevee is bigger, we're going to regular capsules) I do recommend easing the pain of the wallet by trying to find buy 1, get 1 free deals. If you have a Walgreens near you, they have a BOGOF sale every week on different supplements. I used to get 750 fish oil for $15 and vitamin E I got 400 for like $8. That was getting 2 bottles of each, they lasted a LONG time! Just make sure you check the expiration dates to make sure you'll be able to use them all before they expire. :) You can also just get 1 bottle for half price if you were worried about it going bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts