German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a six month old (Beautiful) GSD. I have noticed a few things in the last couple of days. Gunner is scuffing his hind nails when walking and this morning I noticed him bunny hopping as he was running. So- I took him to the vet and they sedated him and took some xrays. The X-rays look normal, however, the doctor also performed a Ortolani test. The Dr. says Gunner is Positive in both hips especially his left hip which popped out twice. Once when he directly did the test and then when he did the test on the right side. Additionally, they said it is obvious that his left leg isn't gliding normal, like his right. All tale tale signs of HD. He says that he is fairly confident that I will have a pretty lame dog when he is about two... What are your thoughts and what should I do??? - so distraught.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Can you contact the breeder? I know you are already in love..very hard situation..There are many really knowledgeable people on this site...They will help...I am sorry for you

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
best thing you can do is exercise, not necessarily running, but walking keep the muscle tone up, and joint supplements

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I have not heard of the ortolani test. X-ray appear normal. I would probably just do regular exercise to strengthen the muscles, and keep the dog lean and fit.

Puppies can be loosey-goosey. I don't know if this will be a problem down the line or not. But I think clear x-rays at this point are actually a good thing. And, some puppies that do not have HD do bunny-hop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts