German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We get to bring out little ones home in just about two weeks.

For our girl we have it down to two name, Lady and Layla. She’s the runt of the litter and also the calmest. She’s so gentle and loves to be held and overall acts like a little lady. She doesn’t nibble and if she does it’s the softest thing. But we also like Layla, because it’s sweet just Lady, but also I feel like will be a good strong name for when she no longer a little puppy. I am open to more suggestions as well.

Our boy, he’s a a little bit of different story. When we visit him, it’s harder to put a name to him. He’s the biggest of the litter and is feisty. I can already tell he will acquire a little more attention and work. The land shark phase is already in full force with that one. We liked Spartacus, but felt it was too many syllables. I am open to any suggestions for a strong name. We don’t have any we are set on.

I’ll include pics of both. The chunky one behind the fence is our boy. The one walkimg toward the camera is our little princess. She’s the only pup with both ears up at just a little over 5 weeks. Our boy has one up and the other is looking like it’s ready to spring up anytime.

Disclaimer: I am fully aware of the challenges of raising littermates. This is a decision we did not take lightly. These dogs are my main priority and I wouldn’t have decided to take home two if it wasn’t something I knew I couldn’t handle. This has been a decision me and my husband have thought about for over a year. My work schedule allows me to spend 90% of my time at home to train and care for our little ones. And our fianances are in check. We are dedicated to this decision and have put in place the needed tools to succeed.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
:wub: they're so adorable! Yes, I agree with you that Lady or Layla for the pretty female. The feisity male looks like a Bruno to me.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I like Draco for the boy, though it may be over-used these days. Frodo and Ender, I also like, though, if that is him, he looks more like a Pippin.

I like Layla for the girl. You can always call her Lady if you like that better, as she grows. Lady Jane.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stanley (and Stella) from A Streetcar Named Desire. Because, you know, greater conflict in the household :grin2:

Me and the husband actually really like Stella. It’s between Stella and lady for our girl and King and Spartacus for our boy. I’m still not sold on Spartacus.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
King seems like a very common name for GSDs, but maybe that isn't a big deal to you. It does suit them well. I agree that Spartacus is a bit long. You would probably call him "Spart". :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
King seems like a very common name for GSDs, but maybe that isn't a big deal to you. It does suit them well. I agree that Spartacus is a bit long. You would probably call him "Spart". :D
You’re right. King is a very common name I feel for a dog, even though my husband looked it up and it’s the 94th ranked dog name. We decided not to go with lady just because we feel like it’s not a strong enough name. So now we’re stuck between Stella and Layla. My has been stuck on Spartacus, but I still feel the names just a tad too long. Literally just one syllable too long. I’m not really sold on the name king either, I personally like Kato (Kay-toe).

We should be visiting with the pups soon, so we’re going to try a couple different names with them. We may just end up waiting until they finally come home to finally decide what we name them.

·
Registered
942 Posts
For male, I like the name "Archer" yes from the show "Archer" haha or..."Pauly D" from Jersey Shore *not serious*

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You’re right. King is a very common name I feel for a dog, even though my husband looked it up and it’s the 94th ranked dog name. We decided not to go with lady just because we feel like it’s not a strong enough name. So now we’re stuck between Stella and Layla. My has been stuck on Spartacus, but I still feel the names just a tad too long. Literally just one syllable too long. I’m not really sold on the name king either, I personally like Kato (Kay-toe).

We should be visiting with the pups soon, so we’re going to try a couple different names with them. We may just end up waiting until they finally come home to finally decide what we name them.
I was actually just saying yesterday that I like the name Kato. I prefer Layla, but the name Stella makes you think of a dog with a lot of personality. Either one is good!

I always have a list of names ready when I bring my puppy home, and so far I have never once used a name on my list! I'm not sure why, but it seems like none of them fit so I think of something new. It may become obvious to you which ones fit when you bring them home.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My husband is stuck on the name Spartacus because of who Spartacus was. He wants him to have a tough name... We both love Layla, so we are going with that for our girl. Our little lady Layla.

What was the inspiration behind your pets names?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
My GSD puppy's official name was Black Forrest, after the Black Forest in Germany. We just called him Forrest though. My golden retriever's name is Brooklyn, after Brooklyn, NY. You'll have to ask my mom why she wanted to name her that though. I still haven't figured that one out.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I once had a couple of cats named Isis and Osiris but yelling Isis out the back door nowadays might be not the best thing, lol
Too bad the name is ruined because I loved that combination :(

1 - 20 of 35 Posts