German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, i was under the impression getting your pet spayed would not alter their behavior one bit, especially in a female.

but about 3 weeks ago i got my 7mo old puppy spayed. Thought it was a good idea and what every responsible pet owner should do. Now 3 weeks later, she got her stitches out about 2 weeks ago and now she isnt bursting with energy like she was. Did i traumatize her, or does she just need more time? Are these dogs supposed to get spayed if you want an active/trainable dog because I would like to train her in personal protection and i hope i did not just mess that up. Right now her behavior is very very complacent and all she wants to do is sleep. Don't get me wrong when she sees her favorite toy(a frisby) she perks right up and wants to play but not as long as she wanted to to begin with.

From getting her spayed i can tell that behavior is different but the only good thing that has came of this is she has become EVEN MORE clingy and dependant on me and she eats more... lol...

Is this just my immagination or did the surgery really change her attitude/behavior?

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
What I have found is with some females it takes them a while to get use to the difference in hormone levels.

One thing is don't let her over eat, she will put on weight if you give her too much food with the decreased excercise.

Keep incouraging her to play, she will come around, but if you just let her be a couch critter, then that is what she will become.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i feed her twice daily in the morning and afternoon. 4 cups of puppy chow and a half of can of wet dog food. When i got her back from the vet she was half starved and has been eating great since. Before the surgery she had eating habits worse than a cat now she eats fairly decent. Is that too much food or what? Im kind of new with large breed dogs especially GSD's, AND I DO NOT WANT A COUCH CRITTER! lol...

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Have you had her checked by the vet to make sure nothing else is going on?

If so, then I'm sure she will come around. Spaying and neutering has never had any lasting effects on my pets. Her hormones are probably out of whack and she just doesn't know how to feel about that. lol

Give her a little more time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: mamagooseHave you had her checked by the vet to make sure nothing else is going on?

If so, then I'm sure she will come around. Spaying and neutering has never had any lasting effects on my pets. Her hormones are probably out of whack and she just doesn't know how to feel about that. lol

Give her a little more time.
yea vet said shes fine ill just keep trying to encourage her to play more.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: BlacknRed4 cups per meal, is that too much? I give her purina proplan puppy chow
That sounds like a LOT to me. Have you considered changing kibble?

How is her weight? Can you feel her ribs EASILY?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: BlackGSD
Originally Posted By: BlacknRed4 cups per meal, is that too much? I give her purina proplan puppy chow
That sounds like a LOT to me. Have you considered changing kibble?

How is her weight? Can you feel her ribs EASILY?
Yea i can feel her ribs, and she's not overweight. Im goin by the chart on the side of the bag.

Says 8 per day for a dog at 100lbs @ maturity

·
Registered
964 Posts
100 pounds is high for a female at maturity. I thought more between 70-80.

I do not know where you live nut the heat is taking its toll on my dogs. They sort of lay low until the sun goes down.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
If you chose a higher quality kibble, you could likely be feeding her a lot less, she'd get more out of the food, and she'd likely poop less! Win/win situation.
8 cups per day is crazy; I'd be worried about too much weight and too much growth too quickly. Also, this is about the right time to switch her off puppy food and onto adult food (could have even switched sooner).

Why do you think she'd be 100 lbs at maturity? That's HUGE for a GSD, let alone a female GSD. Is she oversized already or from oversized parents? Bigger is NOT better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted By: DianaMIf you chose a higher quality kibble, you could likely be feeding her a lot less, she'd get more out of the food, and she'd likely poop less! Win/win situation.
8 cups per day is crazy; I'd be worried about too much weight and too much growth too quickly. Also, this is about the right time to switch her off puppy food and onto adult food (could have even switched sooner).

Why do you think she'd be 100 lbs at maturity? That's HUGE for a GSD, let alone a female GSD. Is she oversized already or from oversized parents? Bigger is NOT better.
well her daddy was HUGE, i would say as a guess over 100lbs. In his kennel he would put his paws on the fence and they would be over my head. Her mom was no small lady either, she weighed in at around 80lbs i think. Her head would be up to my thigh.

But as far as food, i thought purina did some pretty good food.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally Posted By: mjb03100 pounds is high for a female at maturity. I thought more between 70-80.

I do not know where you live nut the heat is taking its toll on my dogs. They sort of lay low until the sun goes down.
i live in alabama, its about 85* right now but i try to run her when the sun goes down. when she wants to play its usually about 10PM at night.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: BlacknRed

But as far as food, i thought purina did some pretty good food.
A lot of people think that. For the ingredients (not that great) it is EXPENSIVE. There are kibbles out there with BETTER ingredients and a CHEAPER price. That is a "win/win" situation. You would pay LESS per bag, feed LESS, and the bag would last LONGER.

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
If you are feeding her 8 cups a day, that is WAY TOO MUCH. I feed puppies 4 cups a day total (2 in the morning, 2 in the evening). Then as they get older I reduce to 3 and eventually when they are a lot older and less active to 2. I do feed a high quality/human grade kibble.

Spaying her should not have any permanent effect on her when it comes to energy and desire to play. If she is not feeling well, that would be different.

·
Registered
913 Posts
That seems like an excessive amount of food. My growing guys are 9 months old and they are on adult dog food. They get 1 1/2 cups 2x per day, so that is a total of 3 cups. They also get a few RMBs and one rawhide chew per day.

I am curious to see what others here have to say, but I think 8 cups of food a day is a lot! With decreased activity, I would definitely cut back. WHat are the recommended feeding amounts on the bag of dog food?

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Purina is generally thought of as lower quality. Some people have good luck with it, but many find much better results (on the dog, in the pooper scooper, and in the wallet) with the higher quality brands. There is no one best food, your dog will tell you which is best, but these are signs to look for which will tell you if you're feeding a great food:

-No "flabby" carb weight on the dog
-Shiny coat that doesn't shed much (but remember, this IS the German shedder dog)
-Clean, white teeth
-Good breath
-Low or no doggie odor (doggie odor isn't really normal/desirable)
-No flaky/itchy skin
-Small poops that typically DON'T stink to high heaven
-Even energy (not hyper "sugar/carb high" energy)
-Overall health and vigor

Better kibble brands include (in no particular order) Innova, Canidae, Timberwolf Organics, Solid Gold, California Natural, Royal Canin, Chicken Soup, **** Van Patten (Natural Balance), Blue Buffalo, the list goes on. You'll find that these are foods you will NOT find in the grocery store. Grocery store foods tend to be the low quality foods. Learn to read the ingredients lists, too! Look for specific protein sources like "chicken" and "chicken meal." Avoid foods with lots of grains at the front of the list. A good food will have a list that reads like "Chicken meal, fish meal, turkey, rice..." A not so good food will read "Corn, rice, chicken, corn gluten meal,..." A lot of people prefer corn-free food, some believe corn is an acceptable source of energy. You'll have to research and experiment and let your dog tell you what is best. Bottom line, you want the highest quality kibble that your dog does best on. For some people, it's Innova EVO, for others, it may be Royal Canin. Check out the Diet sections on this board for further information.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally Posted By: DianaMPurina is generally thought of as lower quality. Some people have good luck with it, but many find much better results (on the dog, in the pooper scooper, and in the wallet) with the higher quality brands. There is no one best food, your dog will tell you which is best, but these are signs to look for which will tell you if you're feeding a great food:

-No "flabby" carb weight on the dog
-Shiny coat that doesn't shed much (but remember, this IS the German shedder dog)
-Clean, white teeth
-Good breath
-Low or no doggie odor (doggie odor isn't really normal/desirable)
-No flaky/itchy skin
-Small poops that typically DON'T stink to high heaven
-Even energy (not hyper "sugar/carb high" energy)
-Overall health and vigor

Better kibble brands include (in no particular order) Innova, Canidae, Timberwolf Organics, Solid Gold, California Natural, Royal Canin, Chicken Soup, **** Van Patten (Natural Balance), Blue Buffalo, the list goes on. You'll find that these are foods you will NOT find in the grocery store. Grocery store foods tend to be the low quality foods. Learn to read the ingredients lists, too! Look for specific protein sources like "chicken" and "chicken meal." Avoid foods with lots of grains at the front of the list. A good food will have a list that reads like "Chicken meal, fish meal, turkey, rice..." A not so good food will read "Corn, rice, chicken, corn gluten meal,..." A lot of people prefer corn-free food, some believe corn is an acceptable source of energy. You'll have to research and experiment and let your dog tell you what is best. Bottom line, you want the highest quality kibble that your dog does best on. For some people, it's Innova EVO, for others, it may be Royal Canin. Check out the Diet sections on this board for further information.
Yea ive been lookin at the food section on the board now that we got on this topic and i saw some of that. The only thing alex does that i can see of the things you list is she takes GIGANTIC slams that stink. But ill try looking at the pet store for some of those.

I have thought about doing what my parents do with their cockerspanial is feed her cooked food like green beans, rice, and boiled meat. But i dont want her to turn into a princess like their dog.

but i appreciate yalls help, glad i found this board.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts