German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was a little baffled yesterday...

My GSD is 5 months old. He is really good with kids. He does the usual puppy jumping up and a little mouthing with kids but he shows no aggression at all.

Yesterday my neighbors kid came over. A little red headed cute as can be toddler. She is very mellow. My dog freaked out when he saw her. I had to separate them. I tried to reintroduce and he freaked out again. Barking and showing aggression and lunging towards her on the leash.

The girls brother showed up who is not that bigger and he was find around him????

I was pretty upset.

So later that day I take him on a walk around town. He is fine meeting kids. Licking kids. Kids of all colors and sizes. Wtf????

Why does my dog hate this little girl???

I don't want there to be an incident if she wonders into my yard.

Edit: I took socializing him very seriously. He is VERY socialized. Maybe I just didn't introduce him to enough red heads. But dogs are color blind?!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
She has Gingervitis! Gingers have no souls! LMAO!

Maybe she was wearing something that looked funny or something?

My dog gets worried around toddlers. I wans't prepared, because I'd had her around other kids, but when I think about it they were just a little bit older and it makes a big difference to a dog.

Toddlers don't behave like normal people. They squeal and squeak, they are erratic in their movements. One once ran squealing up to my dog as a puppy and tried to grab her it really scared her. Nothing happened thankfully, but my dog flew backward on the leash. I'm VERY careful with her around kids after that. She hung out with some about a week ago and was fine, but they were leaving her alone too.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
She has Gingervitis! Gingers have no souls! LMAO! Gingervitis - YouTube

Maybe she was wearing something that looked funny or something?

My dog gets worried around toddlers. I wans't prepared, because I'd had her around other kids, but when I think about it they were just a little bit older and it makes a big difference to a dog.

Toddlers don't behave like normal people. They squeal and squeak, they are erratic in their movements. One once ran squealing up to my dog as a puppy and tried to grab her it really scared her. Nothing happened thankfully, but my dog flew backward on the leash. I'm VERY careful with her around kids after that. She hung out with some about a week ago and was fine, but they were leaving her alone too.
I agree. Toddlers are like aliens to dogs, unless they are in the dog's immediate family. I know you said she was mellow, but their brains have not matured to go with their body actions, and maybe deep down inside she was feeling fear, dog's can sense this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. Toddlers are like aliens to dogs, unless they are in the dog's immediate family. I know you said she was mellow, but their brains have not matured to go with their body actions, and maybe deep down inside she was feeling fear, dog's can sense this.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The above makes sense. He does get more excited around little kids but like I said he has never shown aggression. Maybe she was scared? She sure didnt act like it though.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
My kids use the term. I had not heard it before they started throwing it around. They are 15, 19, and 23. It is a recent "new" term from them. I'll have to ask what's up with that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
"Ginger" is a term that has been around for quite some time. I believe it originated for the show South Park several years ago. Its a great episode too!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
The term ginger to describe redheads is common with British & Australian folks. Nothing new:)

There was a report a couple of years ago that said redheads would be no more by the year 2060.....I think that was debunked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts