German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took her to the vet around last year for a small scratch on her nose, the vet said to use neosporin which i did and the scratch went away. However, i noticed yesterday a MASSIVE red spot on her lip like she scratched it. I walk her daily and let her run around my neighborhood so i figured she scratched her nose on something but this looks awful.. does anyone have an idea what it could be? I intend on taking her to the vet but before they said it was a simple scratch but this looks like something different.

Attachments

· Registered
5,153 Posts
That's good you're taking her to the vet. I agree with you that it looks like a big scrape and cut. So best to have checked out and not take a chance on infection.

· Registered
13,674 Posts
I know when I had pet rats that it was not advised to use Neosporin on a cut because it can form a scab, which prevents draining the pus. Ask the vet about it? Or maybe have the vet do a scrape to see what's actually in it?

· Registered
6,886 Posts
I wouldn't use neosporin anywhere it could be licked. Vetricyn spray won't sting or hurt them if they lick it, and it's good for other things -- it should be in every dog owner's first aid kit. You can find it on Amazon, or at Petco. Some Walgreens stores sell a human-approved version that you can also use on dogs, from the same company called Puricyn (same blue bottle, in the first aid aisle).

I do think a vet should check it out, though.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!!! I feel a lot better knowing multiple people agree its a scrape. I got a new rug which is kind of rough and maybe she has been scratching her nose on it. Also i got her a few new toys (which she has already destroyed lol) I am going to get that Puricyn and see if it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.