German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got back from taking my 8.5 year girl to the er vet-she has bloat. We take every precaution we have read about, and she still got it. I am a wreck waiting for that phone call. Vet said I caught it early-and it saved her life. But, I am still a wreck.. Any suggestions -advice or just prayers please...

·
Registered
397 Posts
oh my god I am so sorry. Im so happy they say you got her there in time. Im definitely thinking of you all *hugs* what were her symptoms? I have never dealt with bloat but it scares the heck out of me.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Oh no I am so sorry. I haven't dealt with bloat with any of my animals but as a vet tech I saw a lab, GSD, and a mixed breed all come in with bloat. The one that caught it early had a successful surgery though they experienced some infection after the fact. The other two sadly didn't make it, but again their owners had no clue what was happening until it was too late. Good job catching it and getting help fast- I hope all goes well and your pup is home in no time:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Codi came to lay down next to me like normal, but started this weird cry. Then the baby shepherd Jackson came by her, and was acting really weird around Codi. SO Codi got up and walked out. A minute later, she did the same exact thing, and then Jackson came by her again, and was trying to lick her face-which he never has done before. Codi then jumped on my bed, and i was rubbing her head, and noticed her gums were discolored, and mouth was dry. I called for my dh right away, and he rubbed her belly cuz we read about this, and saw her belly was distended. We stopped everything and she threw up foam. We literally threw her in the car and went right to the nearest vet. They xrayed her and sent us to the ER vet who was called ahead and had surgery prepared, we got to the ER Vet and they immediately took her in for surgery-but of course told us about the end bill that needed to be paid upfront.. $5000.... She ate dinner at 6pm, and I noticed this at 7pm. They started surgery at 8.... We are now at 10pm, and they are still in surgery....

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sending prayers Codi's way! So glad to hear you caught it early - there's absolutely nothing else you could have done.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
OMG! I'm sorry you're dealing with this but its good you caught it when you did!!! praying hard for you guys!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, that is what I said $5000.... URGH!!!! But they just called and said she is doing ok. They had to remove her spleen, and they did attach her stomach so that this won't happen again. The only concern was her low blood pressure during the surgery, and still after. So, she is being monitored right now. But, he said everything else looked good considering her age-and he feels confident that she will be ok. It will be a pretty long recovery for her, so he suggestion we figure something out with the puppy. We also have a 5.5 month old GS, and he is pretty spunky-so he might be visiting Grandma for a period of time so Codi can try to recoup in some peace and quiet.
Does anyone have any first hand experience with Bloat, that might be able to give me some advice???? I would so appreciate some help. In all these years, this is the first real horrific thing she has had happen. I am nervous and scared.
TIA

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Did it end up totaling 5K?

I'm praying for a quick recovery and an early bounce back to a once happy pup. Titon sends licks, howls and crossed paws for a quick recovery to his friend.

-E

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I think my Max's surgery was about $3,000, but that was in '04 and also before the clinic was sold to big business. If the money is a problem, there is always CareCredit that might help, you can apply on the spot.

Wishing the best outcome for the surgery. There is a sticky at the top of the page, if you haven't already seen it. LOTs of folks on the board have been through this, and having caught it early, this is very good! The first couple days after surgery are still critical, as they monitor heart function, etc.

best of luck, hoping for the best :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
32,364 Posts
I have not dealt with bloat, so no advice. I just hope your girl does well and recovers quickly.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Good news from the vet, hope she continues to get better. Bloat just scares the crap out of me!

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
Glad to hear she is doing ok. When I brought Sam back from surgery, I put a big crate in my bedroom, next to my bed and let him stay there for 2 or 3 days away from the other 2 dogs. I would only let him out for potty breaks. Once he started feeling a little better and his incision was no longer leaking, I would closed the bedroom door and would let him free in the room for a little bit. Increasing time day by day as he felt stronger and stronger. She will let you know when she is feeling better, trust me.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
So pleased the surgery went well. Sending lots of healing thoughts her way :hugs:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all so much for your prayers. I just talked to the dr, and they said they took her off the blood pressure meds and she is doing great. She has gotten up to go potty couple times. They said she is very lucky we caught it so quickly, and that is probably why she is doing so well. PHEW!!! I am so glad.
:wub:

·
Registered
485 Posts
YAY!! So glad to hear she is doing well. Hope her recovery continues to go this smoothly. Good for you guys for catching it so quickly, many others wouldn't.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I caught it early thanks to this website and all the information I have learned by being on here so much. I am very greatful for that. :hug:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.