German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my pups name is allee she is a beautiful fullof energy gsp. she started obedience training at 9 wks and we are still in classes. she has her CGC. she was well socialized early and loves people and animals.
lately she has turned into a monster. i take her to work with me every day and she looks forward to that. i work on a behavioral unit she is great therapy for the residents. she is not kenneled at home unless we go somewhere. she is "air biting", cannot be caught off leash, omg so impulsive. i have had shepherds before but it has been a while.
she is fed TOTW . very rarely is she rewarded with treats.
we walk and play several times a day, but since then she has stopped fetching and wont return with her ball she is becoming a brat.
dont get me wrong she can be very loving, and is very attached to me. this is a age thing right lol.....
thanks in advance.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think it's a training thing.

Hello my pups name is allee she is a beautiful fullof energy gsp. she started obedience training at 9 wks and we are still in classes. she has her CGC. she was well socialized early and loves people and animals.
lately she has turned into a monster. i take her to work with me every day and she looks forward to that. i work on a behavioral unit she is great therapy for the residents. she is not kenneled at home unless we go somewhere. she is "air biting", cannot be caught off leash, omg so impulsive. i have had shepherds before but it has been a while.
she is fed TOTW . very rarely is she rewarded with treats.
we walk and play several times a day, but since then she has stopped fetching and wont return with her ball she is becoming a brat.
dont get me wrong she can be very loving, and is very attached to me.

>>>>>> this is a age thing right lol..... <<<<<<<

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
this is a age thing right lol.....
Sounds like age appropriate to me. :) You're in classes, so definately doing the right thing. Are you going to get her TDI?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i would like to. she is in novice obedience BUT will she behave and do what she is suppose to??? everyone tells me im too hard on her but im not very big, and she walks me at times...she is playful all the time and not mean.
i think im just frustrated....not sure why i even posted it i guess...
she likes feet and her teeth hurt lol i have a nylon buck collar on her and didnt really want to put anything else on her since she is still a pup but if she acts inappropriate i cant take her to work...i was just wondering if i could be doing something different with her to help.
the off leash things is incredibly annoying...she looks at me like..."catch me if can" lol

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I don't have much advice - others will - but I can tell you every month gets better. These early months are very frustrating. Panzer is 9 months and I just posted a frustrated post about today's visit to the groomer. :)

Make training as much fun as you can - better for her and for you. Set her up for success and if she's not getting something, go back to lesser command and work back up. Some day all the early training work will pay off. Do you have pictures of your girl? We love pictures.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I'd definitely recommend a prong collar for walking her. It's worked wonders with Shasta. We're hoping it's short term. We've found that walking her daily with the prong collar reminds her who's in charge and her behavior improves for the rest of the day.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
And I would also start training with treats - you have to motivate her to want to come to you. Play a lot of games where you call her to you, she gets a treat, you throw a toy, she chases it, you call her to you, she gets a treat, and so on, every day, lots of times. It will set her up to have a more reliable response to coming. At first, don't even try to catch her, just get her coming to you. When she does that reliably, start asking her to come in closer, then just brush her collar with your hands, Let her go back out and play. Then you move to getting her to sit, take a hold of the collar, release her and let her play.

You work on this everyday, then when she sits for you reliably, start hooking the leash on, and taking it off, and letting her go an play. Do this a few times a day, but not too much so that she gets bored with the game of coming to you. Basically, you don't want her to always associate coming to you with being put on leash and fun times are over. She is still a baby, so of course she wants to continue playing. And if you get angry and frustrated, even more reason for her to avoid coming to you.

Whatever you feelings are about treats, her coming to you and allowing you to put a leash on her is a safety issue of paramount importance, and if it takes treats to get her to come to you, so be it.

Also second the prong collar for walking - walking should be a fun and relaxing activity for the two of you, and it is no fun if you are always fighting each other for control

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well we were initially doing treats and she just got really bratty so now we only use when we are learning something new. today was better lol we went and got new toys today and are trying a martingale collar. so far i feel like i have more control. didnt want to go to the prong yet.
thanks for the vent i know she is a baby....but wow some days are trying esp when you know she can do and knows ...
trying to figure out how to post a pic

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
She only gets bratty because you allow her too. Use black and white consequences and rewards until she figures it out: behave and offer the right behaviours, she gets a treat. Get pushy, nippy, bratty, treat withheld, ignore her, game over!

Glad the martingale is helping.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I agree with going back a step and using treats. Make sure she's hungry. Make sure you are using teeny REAL treats (not what YOU think are treats, but what she will 'work' for).

Chances are the treats weren't working cause either

1) you weren't treating frequently enough so pup lost interest

2) pup wasn't hungry

3) weren't using a treat the puppy felt was worth it

4) were training way to fast for the puppy and they got confused and gave up (more fun to run off and play then stay with the crazy angry human :) )

Big thing to remember is FUN FUN FUN. If you aren't fun to be with, and training is hard work for the puppy, then they will shut off, avoid and run away. You can't train if they aren't near you. And if you have to 'make' them you end up with reluctant partners in you training team.

Watch this following video and it's the attitude you want to work for first. Look how close that puppy stays to her and how they interact. How PLAY is key whether on the swim or in training. Fun, fast and frequent treats with tons of tugging play in between.

There's no real difference TO THE PUPPY between play and training!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts