German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apollo is almost 5 months old. I wake up at 4:30 AM and originally I was letting him out right away, but then I realized that he was still asleep so I’ve just let him be in his crate while I shower and get ready for work until about 5:30.

I let him out to potty and play fetch with him for awhile. I was taking him for a long walk in the mornings but realized that he wasn’t long walk ready yet. So now after fetch we do a training sort of walk where I turn around any time he pulls.

We come back home and I feed him, then let him out. Then I have to get my kids up and ready for school, etc. I know that it’s frowned upon to leave your puppy in the yard alone but it’s fully fenced and free of any danger (and I can see him from the kitchen- he just runs and runs and barks some)

When I let him inside, he goes bezerk. I put a leash on him while inside but he tries to leap and run and pull and it’s nearly impossible to do anything.

This has been going on for the two months we’ve had him. I want him to get used to our morning routines so I don’t want to just crate him (especially since he’s crated while we’re at work) and I don’t want him just making his own entertainment outside by himself since I know that’s not the right thing to do.

So... tell me. What am I doing wrong? What can I do to make the mornings calmer? Should I get him up when I get up at 4:30? What is the best thing to do with him while I’m trying to get all the crazy morning stuff done?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,302 Posts
When our kids were still home I had the following schedule with pups and dogs any age. I get up at a humane time (6.30 AM). Get the dogs outside to pee and poop, feed them, back in their crates until everyone is out of the house. Then it was doggy time. You have to do what works for you. They easily adapt as long as you are reasonable.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mornings here are hectic, too. Create your routine within reason and pup will adapt.

I am up at four am. I immediately potty Genali, and back in the crate she goes for breakfast while I dress. About 4:45, we go back out, potty and play a minute before I leave for work at 5. Hubby is up at 7:00, he dresses and takes Genali out for potty and play until he leaves at 7:30. My son is up at 8 am, he lets Genali out of the crate where she can play on her own, but if she gets overly dramatic, she goes back in. He dresses and gets grandchild up, they eat breakfast, and then its potty and play until he leaves at 9:30. THen ,she is in the crate until noon. Hubby gets home for lunch at noon, its potty and play until 12:45. Genali is put back in the crate with her lunch. Son is home at 1:30. Lunch is taken out of the crate, and its potty and play until 3:00. THen its in the crate until 5:30. Hubby gets home at 5:30, and its potty and a walk around the yard until I get home at 6:30. In the crate for supper at 7 and supper is taken up at 7:30. Potty and play until 10 pm. Genali goes to the crate, I go to bed. Hubby takes her out for potty again at midnight.

On my days off, she is out of the crate except for eating from 4 am until 10 pm, with the exception of feeding time, and the (rare) occasions that we "forget" to potty while we are outside.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Haha, if you're playing fetch at 4:30am no wonder. :grin2:

I would do humans first. Shower, breakfast, kids. Let him wake up slowly and have slow start of the day. Once your morning routine is over then is his time.

I spend 24/7 with my 6 months old girl. But she knows that before 2pm I will be just sitting infront of computer. So she sleeps inside, goes to check out garden, sleeps some more inside, spend time with wife... . And at 2pm her adrenaline starts pumping, since she knows now it's our active time for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
We come back home and I feed him, then let him out. Then I have to get my kids up and ready for school, etc. I know that it’s frowned upon to leave your puppy in the yard alone but it’s fully fenced and free of any danger (and I can see him from the kitchen- he just runs and runs and barks some)
If it isn't bothering the neighbors, I'd put him outside. You can see him, so if he's getting destructive, digging or eating any plants you can stop it. But I'd put him out there and quit worrying about you keeping him entertained. Let him learn to deal with it and settle down.

·
Super Moderator
6,224 Posts
Yes, what Steve said.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Zeus is 8 mos old and I have had the same routine since we brought him home at 8 weeks. I am up at 5:30 am and he comes out of the crate to go potty I also let our other dog out at the same time. He comes in and both dogs get fed. Zeus is fed in his crate and stays their while hubby and kids get up and get ready for work and school. If I let him out it’s just total chaos. When everyone leaves around 7:00-7:15 Zeus comes out and goes potty. Then we play and train for a little while. Around 9:30-10:00!am he goes back in the crate so I can get a few loads of laundry done and he takes a nap. When he gets up from nap it’s back out potty and more play time or just chills with me for awhile. He know what the routine is and has adapted. Weekends are different because everyone is home. We will be adding another puppy sometime in November and I am wondering if I am crazy?. I will probably keep the same routine.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I think if he is safe in the yard and you can see what he is up to there is nothing wrong with him being out there on his own.

I get up at 4:30, Kaiser wakes up with me, we go to the kitchen, I feed the cats, he lays down on the rug and watches me. I give him a small treat and go to the gym.

I'm home at 6:00. Kaiser is still asleep but is now more enthusiastic about seeing me.
I make the kids breakfast
I make Kaisers breakfast
We all site down and eat... Kaiser goes outside to have his breakfast
He comes and lays down on the mat and waits till the kids have finished eating and then one of us will go outside to play with him... we then rotate... everyone has 10 - 15 minutes of playing with Kaiser in the morning before we leave.
The kids are 10 and 12 so old enough to have a good game with him. They play soccer or hide and seek or tag... Kaiser loves it all.
Some mornings he gets frustrated waiting for us to finish breakfast and then will come over and start barking at one of the kids... he gets put outside then on his own until someone is ready to go play.
The mornings before work/school are all about play and fun. I might throw in a little bit of training but not much... its all about the games.

Apollo is still really young, he will get there, it just takes time... Kaiser is now 16 months and he is sometimes still a pain in the morning.

·
Registered
942 Posts
You could buy an Ex-Pen and put it in place like the kitchen, where he can have a little room to play with toys or chew a bone, without going crazy in the house. The only thing is you will most likely have to secure the ex-pen so he cannot move it if he jumps up on it!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
We also have a "humans first" morning...
Well, it actually starts the night before, when Rumo has last potty late, at 10pm and we all go to bed right after.
We wake up by 7, have breakfast and do our morning stuff, while he lays around watching us.
At 7:40 I leash up Rumo and we walk my daughter to the busstop, & then we continue on morning loop (1hr+).
Get home and Rumo eats, goes out in yard for awhile while I clear up kitchen.
Around 9am, I start work and Rumo settles down for his morning snooze.

So, maybe getting humans out door, and then a long walk/playtime after, will settle him down for the day?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts