German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two choices available to adopt one puppy.. What should I get.?
Cocker Spaniel or German Shepherd.?
I want dog that loves me and my family. The dog should not too much noisy. I run for about 35 minutes but not daily. So dog should withstand (note: I will not take my dog to run unless she is 18 months old).
I also expecting the dog to protect our house from intruders.
My house does have little space out and don't have upper house. Hence there is lot more space available on top which is accessible by dog via steps.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
How did you arrive at choosing between two very very different breeds? Is it a case of where wife wants one, husband wants the other? That is needed info in order to even start to give input :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Based on time to exercise your dog, I would think the cocker spaniel would be a better fit. German Shepherds are highly active and 30 minutes is likely not enough for them. But each dog’s energy level is different. Showline GSD are less active but not sure 30 minutes walk would satisfy them.

Both are great dogs and would love you and your family.

For guarding German shepherds are known to be more effective.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I don't think I have ever even heard of a cocker spaniel guarding the house? Not in the same sense as a German shepherd. How did you come to deciding between two breeds that are so different?

I think you would be better off with the cocker spaniel. GSDs can be very vocal, and they need way more exercise and stimulation than you mentioned in your post. I'm not sure if that was just an example and you would do more than that, but if that is all you are planning, a German shepherd is not a good fit for you.

How much research have you done on these two breeds?

·
Registered
31,768 Posts
Any barking dog is a deterrent. You are better off with a security system unless the fog is specifically trained in personal protection.

Those breeds are so opposite thst the question can't be answered.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
First dog that ever bite me was a Cocker, and it was a nasty bite. So I have no great love of the breed. I believe they were the breed associated with "rage syndrome " so I would be pretty hesitant to get one, a young one, from a rescue or unknown source.
That said they are a lively and energetic breed, seem to not bark much and have a great love for their families. They are highly intelligent and seem easy to train although the few I have dealt with seemed to struggle with house training.

·
Registered
982 Posts
OP, based on what you've posted, I'd suggest a cocker rather than a shepherd. I'd also choose carefully as @Sabismom is correct; rage syndrome is not uncommon and neither is nerviness (not the same thing, btw). For that and other reasons, I suggest that you look at/for an English rather than an American Cocker which have always struck me as having a better/more sound conformation, better temperament, health history, etc.

Aly

·
Registered
311 Posts
It doesn't seem like you have the time to serve the Shepherds activity needs. I bring my shepherd to the dog park every other day for 2-3 hours and that doesn't even tire him out.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I work with spaniels (cocker, springer and sprockers). The cocker spaniel can be very needy and clingy, they can be very vocal but are good workers; they can also be very stubborn.

They can also display what we call cocker rage and can be quite nasty with it. Don't get me wrong, the cocker spaniel is a wonderful breed but the cocker rage is a concern with some of them. I have been on the receiving end of a cocker spaniel with cocker rage and it is not nice.

On the other hand, one of my favourite dogs that I work with is a cocker spaniel.

So do your research.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
You can find rage syndrome or something closely related in gsds as well, it’s not common, but it’s out there.

I think the op should redefine his search a bit and exam other breeds if he’s not sure. I agree with others saying the suggested breeds are too dissimilar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How did you arrive at choosing between two very very different breeds? Is it a case of where wife wants one, husband wants the other? That is needed info in order to even start to give input /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
I want German Shepherd and my sister want English Cocker Spaniel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think I have ever even heard of a cocker spaniel guarding the house? Not in the same sense as a German shepherd. How did you come to deciding between two breeds that are so different?

I think you would be better off with the cocker spaniel. GSDs can be very vocal, and they need way more exercise and stimulation than you mentioned in your post. I'm not sure if that was just an example and you would do more than that, but if that is all you are planning, a German shepherd is not a good fit for you.

How much research have you done on these two breeds?
I already done major research before asking out here

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If you're confident enough as a dog owner/handler, get a GSD. But I'm telling you, they're a LOT to handle. But the rewards... Can't even put it into words how awesome it is to be lucky enough to have one devoted to me. If you're not so confident, get a spaniel. Whichever you choose, remember they're a decade-long commitment.

·
Registered
982 Posts
@Aly

Autocorrect hates me!
Maybe, but it gave me quite a chuckle. My favorite autocorrect screw up happened in grad school. Working on my very first grown up, professional ms re marital relations in divorcing couples. Gave it to my mentor for a quick look over before sending it to the journal editor.

Next day, advisor called me and asked, "Aly, don't you like marriage?"

Auto correct had changed everything to martial relations....

:rolleyes:

Aly

·
Registered
199 Posts
I sent my senior thesis in for proofing before I graduated (THANK GOODNESS).

My thesis included the following sentence:
" It is recommended that further research be based on several different organisms."

Autocorrect "fixed" organisms for me....... I don't want to type what it corrected it too on the forum, but just think.........I was HORRIFIED!

To the OP:

I have never met a cocker that I liked nor that I trusted. But, I agree with the others. A GSD needs ALOT of exercise and mental stimulation. A bored GSD will drive you insane while at the same time making you feel like a total idiot. For a GSD you will need plenty of time to let the dog run and play, plenty of time to teach the dog to think, and a lot of patience. Also, keep in mind that a GSD will cause you to question if you really are the one with higher intelligence. Oh, and make sure that you have a safe place to hide your socks. (Genali is on a sock rampage today)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Okay, back on topic. OP, it sounds as if you and your sister will be sharing the new puppy. Is that correct? If so and given what you've written so far (i.e., german shepherd vs. cocker), one of you will be deeply disappointed whatever the final choice. That's not good. As long as you're sharing, why not go back to the books (do this together) and see if you can find a third or fourth breed that both of you can live with? I don't know enough about you or your situation to suggest breeds to consider (perhaps others will chime in), but I've recommended this book to lots of folks considering their first dogs and things have worked out well.

The Right Dog for You: https://www.amazon.com/Right-Dog-You-Daniel-Tortora/dp/067147247X

A final thought. I'm assuming that this will be your/your family's first dog. That being the case, I'd recommend that you not adopt a puppy (i.e., a mix) from a shelter/rescue group. Too many unknowns about health and temperament, especially for a (no disrespect) inexperienced family, and things could go very badly. Of course, things could go extremely well, but why not stack the deck in your favor?

Aly

1 - 20 of 32 Posts