German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I hope that someone will know about my dog problem. He is 6 months old, he was very energetic while we played together. But know he don't care about anything, he just chase and bite his tail like for 5 minutes, until he gets tired. As i said he isn't interested anymore for anything including his food. I took him to the vet but he don't know what the problem is. He though that the fleas were the reasons. We did all the things that the vet has told us to do to get off the fleas but nothing, he still chase his tail. I am so desperate, every time when I see him chase his tail I start crying because I don't know what to do. I love my GSD so much, and I hope that isn't something serious problem.

So, please help me.

Hope for your support.

Jona

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Tail chasing is usually a sign of boredom. What kind of activities were you doing with your dog before?

·
Registered
25 Posts
He's 6 months old, This is a common age for GSD's to get really bored real fast.

You need to be challenging your dog more, Provide mental stimulation, LOTS OF IT.
Play, Play and more play, Go for walks. Have plenty of training sessions, Engage your with your dog!

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
This is a very serious behavior- do whatever you can to get him to stop.
Have you ever used a laser light to play? If so, stop.
Do whatever you can to redirect his behavior when you see that he is about to start chasing. Try to stop it before it starts. Redirect his attention and do some mental work - training tricks, etc.
And I agree, give him more mental stimulation in general.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's 6 months old, This is a common age for GSD's to get really bored real fast.

You need to be challenging your dog more, Provide mental stimulation, LOTS OF IT.
Play, Play and more play, Go for walks. Have plenty of training sessions, Engage your with your dog!

Good luck.
Hey Chib

Thanks for posting. I start training him some tricks, but know I can not train anything. When I take him for walk he stops and don't walk. So I have to take him back with car at home. Sometimes when hi chase his tail, is like he has a pain in the tail and make a really sad voice.
How to make him listen or stimulate to do other things? Anyway thank you.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Is he locking down on walks because of nervousness? Is he fearful of his environment outside?

You could try to bait him a long with little slices of steak. If the dog isn't taking steak to move forward on a walk its more than likely fear that is causing the dog to shut down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is he locking down on walks because of nervousness? Is he fearful of his environment outside?

You could try to bait him a long with little slices of steak. If the dog isn't taking steak to move forward on a walk its more than likely fear that is causing the dog to shut down.
I took my GSD, when he was 6 weeks. He loved to go for a walk and run after me until he stared to chase his tail. But since he started to chase his tail at home, even when we go for a walk he tries to chase it at the park. So, he gets tired and I have to get him back at home with car. Every time when I went for a walk when he was little I took his preferred food to stimulate to walk. This behavior started this week, and he is doing all the time from morning until he goes to sleep.
This is my first pet that I have, and of course my experience with dogs is 0. But I am going to try to make him leave this behavior.
Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The first issue is that you took your dog away from its mother too early. The first 8 weeks are critical.

I suggest you enrol in some puppy classes. It will socialize your dog and help you as a first time dog owner in training.

Be patient , your dog will likely grow out if this if you take steps to train him and keep him engaged.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
You said it just started this week. Have you checked his tail thoroughly to make sure he doesn't have fleas or an injury on it? If he is chasing and yelps sometimes it could be something painful/itching/bothering him for some reason. It could be boredom but I would make sure there isn't something physical going on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You said it just started this week. Have you checked his tail thoroughly to make sure he doesn't have fleas or an injury on it? If he is chasing and yelps sometimes it could be something painful/itching/bothering him for some reason. It could be boredom but I would make sure there isn't something physical going on.
Sincerely, i don't know what to do anymore. When he is alone at home, he chase a little whith his tail. When i go and see him what he's doing he look at me and start doing that. I don't think that it is injury or fleas, the vet didn't say that. He thought that the reasons are fleas, but no. I took for a walk today, he met some other dogs, but he didn't care. He chase and chase his tail. I tried to stop but nothing. He isn't interested anymore for anything.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
He sounds very obsessive about his tail. He might be making crying sounds because he can't catch it. When mine starts fixating on shadows, sometimes she will yelp because she can't get them. I would tell him no every time he chases his tail,and pretty much force him to do something else. If he stops on a walk to chase his tail, say "come on" and RUN the opposite direction, giving a gentle tug on the leash, he will have to follow you eventually. Don't give up and just let him do it, it will make it worse

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
What have you been doing to correct him when he does this? You have been correcting havent you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What have you been doing to correct him when he does this? You have been correcting havent you?
while he was trying to do that, I forced him to sit or I catch his rope and didn't let him do. But he gets very concerned because he could not chase or catch his tail. But he don't give up. Even if I take his food, toy when we are walking. I have felling, every time that me or my family member go and see him or take for a walk he does that more often!! Any suggestion, what to do?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts