German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay my GSD has been on a bland diet of chicken and rice. I want to transition her to her new kibble correctly. was thinking about

25/75 -50/50 -75/25 -100% and each transition over 3-4days

Currently her stool is very watery but still kinda loose, looks like its firming up abit though. How long does it take for a bland diet to help firm the stools back to normal?

also can eating cat kibble introduce loose stools again?

I'm struggling with trying to get her to have firm stools, any suggestions?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Cat kibble is notorious for creating loose stools.

I wouldn't transition until the stools are consistent. Have you tried using beef instead of chicken? Seems a lot of folks have been having trouble with chicken lately.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edit: sorry i meant her stool is not watery but still loose.

Ugh, i live with my parents and they have a alot of cats so they keep a bowl of cat kibble always out so my gsd always trys to munch on it and i have to always baby her and make sure she doesnt eat it.

I will give beef a try, maybe boiled hamburgers and rice.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
There is NO WAY a bowl of cat kibble would survive in my house. I suggest trying to keep their food in a place she can't get to it. I keep my cat food in a baby gated off room. btw-if I forget for a second to close the gate...that food disappears.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is NO WAY a bowl of cat kibble would survive in my house. I suggest trying to keep their food in a place she can't get to it. I keep my cat food in a baby gated off room. btw-if I forget for a second to close the gate...that food disappears.
Same thing here and i'm pretty sure that cat kibble is causing the loose stools. I will definitely have to tell my parents the cat food needs to be place somewhere where she cant reach it.

This is so frustrating and stressing me out, i cant continue with this but i dont want to give her away. Btw my pups name is Mya too :wild:

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
hi - cat kibble shouldn't affect your dog's stool , either from the cat's bowl or the cat's litter box.

watery stool is always an indicator of malabsorption or some amoebic problem such as giardia or coccidiosis.

If your dog is on a bland diet of chicken and rice are you talking about a kibbled formulation or are you talking about taking chicken breast meat (example) and boiled rice.

This may be alright for the very short term . The rice will become a mechanical binder.

The chicken and rice , having been cooked will be devoid of digestive enzymes.

That kind of diet is seriously missing minerals , without which not even enzyme activity can occur.

That kind of diet is very outbalanced in the phosphorous to calcium ratio . Ideally the ratio should be 1:1 to 1calcium to 2 phosphorous 1:2 . What you are providing is probably closer to a 1 calcium to 18 phosphorous -- which over the long term is deadly.
Hamburger meat will have the same problem .

Check the stool for parasites. Get the dog on some good kibble , preferably grain free , get the dog some probiotics and digestive enzymes to re establish the gut flora .

Dogs can do nicely on snacking on cat food , in fact some breeds notorious for heart problems MAY actually benefit from cat food snacks because cat food has added taurine. That is why dogs can eat cat food and live nicely , whereas cats would get ill and fail to thrive on dog food . Their livers can't synthesize taurine so it must be provided from an outside source.

who knew poo would be of such interest

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So your saying i should just start her on her kibble now along with probiotics and digestive enzymes? will this help with the loose stool?

What probiotics and digestive enzymes should i be giving?

I just want her to have regular firm poop!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts