German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ! I'm new here :eek: . I'm from Malaysia and I've joined this forum to learn more about German Shepherd with German Shepherd enthusiast from all over the world in this forum. ;)
I've recently brought a new German Shepherd puppy to my home. She's OK with people but not with the other dogs! This concern me as she's still 4 months old .. I'm afraid she might bump into larger dog and they will start fighting *But of course, this is my imagination :laugh: and also one of my largest concern :( *
So, should I go to the local trainer to bring her for training? But still, I'm still concern if she'll go wild and disturbed the other K9. I use to have Rottweiler before, but since the Rott gone.. I intend to get new one to be my new friend :blush: . But I didn't expected to much trouble on day 2! She's have been send to my home yesterday evening. Today, I've bring her walk and saw her ''Dark Side'' . She's pulling and charging the other dogs. *Sigh* :help:

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your new pup! Was your pup on a leash or separated from the other dog by a fence? Sometimes these can cause a dog to react this way, but it could also be a fearful response too. I would suggest you take him to class, we have one that does have some DA issues, but she does great in class.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome and congratulations on your new pup! Was your pup on a leash or separated from the other dog by a fence? Sometimes these can cause a dog to react this way, but it could also be a fearful response too. I would suggest you take him to class, we have one that does have some DA issues, but she does great in class.
Yes, we have fence. Every time she sees my neighbor dogs, she'll like to ''play'' attacking them. I'm worried if she accidentally run through the gate and fight with our neighbor dog. :( She's free to run and play with my nieces and nephew in the yard. :p So, no need to chain her up.. I won't allow any dogs of mine being chained.
Yes, I think I should bring her to local trainer to get all fixed up! But, the fees are too expensive! But I hope it's worth it to bring the pup to the class ;) .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:) Guys, here's my new trouble..
Well, I didn't have the change to bring my pup to any training courses yet. But I wonder, does every gsd pups eats their own poop ?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
:welcome:

I really think getting a trainer involved would be beneficial, hopefully you can find one nearby that's recommended and get some help

As for the eating poop, lots of dogs do it. I would discourage it right away using redirection and light corrections (a loud Ah! should suffice). Easiest solution is to clean up after them right away so they don't get the chance to eat it. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:welcome:

I really think getting a trainer involved would be beneficial, hopefully you can find one nearby that's recommended and get some help

As for the eating poop, lots of dogs do it. I would discourage it right away using redirection and light corrections (a loud Ah! should suffice). Easiest solution is to clean up after them right away so they don't get the chance to eat it. :)
Thanks Shade! :laugh:
I always bring my pup walking in a vacant space. Whenever she sniff or trying to lick poop I did said '' Hehhhhhh! Noooo! '' :laugh:
But when I'm not looking, she licked it. :eek: I've been googling around the net and found out that most new-gsd owner faces problem like this. lol
When I get home, usually I don't tell anyone 'bout these.. and the pup loves to lick my niece and nephew faces. :crazy:

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Eating the poop is a nasty phase that lots of pups go through, but thank goodness most grow out of it. Like someone else already mentioned keeping the poop cleaned up is the best way to keep the pup out of it. If it is in a field where other dogs go then that could be a problem, you will just have to look over the area carefully as you are walking and if the pup finds some and starts to eat it you will have to immediately re-direct the pup and tell it no. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eating the poop is a nasty phase that lots of pups go through, but thank goodness most grow out of it. Like someone else already mentioned keeping the poop cleaned up is the best way to keep the pup out of it. If it is in a field where other dogs go then that could be a problem, you will just have to look over the area carefully as you are walking and if the pup finds some and starts to eat it you will have to immediately re-direct the pup and tell it no. Good luck.
Thanks 1sttimeforgsd.
The path that I always bring her to walk is in the extremely huge vacant field where she can run freely and free from other dogs. That's why sometime I can't see when she's doing her ''business'' if she walked to far from me. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what's the average weight for 5 months gsd puppy? Some told me my gsd pup is thin, but the critics is not professional of course , just some dog lover!
Below is the picture of my niece and my gsd pup :lol:
Weight : 30 KG - 35 KG (Increasing due time - I can't recall what vet told me month ago)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
33 - 35 kgs is about 66 to 77 pounds - that is HUGE for a 5 month old! Every pup is different and they grow at different rates, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the numbers - rather, I'd just look at the dog and see how they are doing.

Your pup looks to be in good weight - not too heavy, and not too thin. Normal to be able to see the slight bulge of a few ribs, and a nice tucked in waist for a healthy and fit GSD. Your vet may just be used to other breeds where if the ribs are showing it means that the dog is underweight.

For an average weight on a 5 month old GSD, I would expect about 50 lbs (around 22 kgs), but that is just an average, so by definition, there will be dogs that are smaller, and dogs that are heavier. Yours will probably end up being quite a big boy!

He looks excellent in the picture - I'd just continue feeding the way you are.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. Yes, I'm just estimating the weight because the vet told me she should be around 30 KG that time. We don't get her a medical checkup but simply just 3rd vaccination. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've found the way to train her! ;)
During walk while there's other dogs, I'll ask her to sit then I put the choke collar like Cesar Millan did.. On the top of the neck. She suddenly change to much obedience puppy during the walk. I've asked my friend to help me to resolved this unwanted behavior on my puppy. Now, he walk his pack ( 1 Rottweiler & 2 Mixed ) with my puppy OFF-LEASH ! [feeling awesome] And I don't have to worry anymore! :laugh: But she still doesn't know how to introduce herself calmly .. So eager to sniff other dogs butt! :p
She currently have learned Sit , Down , Shake , Stay ( Down Position ) and recall.
Can't wait to see her get older so she can learn protection & detection from an acquaintances that I met 2 months ago during dog show (which happens to be my boss *I work there temporarily to get experience on handling dogs*). He opens a K9 School. Wish me luck with her.
As for the weight, I'll try to go the vet next month to get her checked.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
She is a very pretty puppy! I'm glad things are improving nicely. I assume she has stopped eating her poop?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Unbelievably , YES ! *WooHoo*
I just correct her when she want to lick the poop so she learn that the behavior is not acceptable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts