German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to decided to board Ruby at either of these 2 options for 3 nights.

A) Doggy daycare she plays there during the day sometimes, knows the staff and the dogs. I checked and they would do a morning feeding and then an "evening" feeding at 3:00pm and then let her run around some more until 5:00pm to give her a chance to potty. Then all dogs are kenneled by 5:00pm with a cookie. Then the staff leaves for the night. There are fire and burglar alarms, and web cams set up to beam to the director's home office with a view of the kennel room. Staff returns at 8:00am the following morning and routine starts again.

B) 24 hour full blown veterinary hospital with specialized "suites". Suites are 8x8 (for large dogs and if you request a deluxe). They get a window. Feeding is whatever time you instruct. Walks are 15 mins each 3 times a day. Last walk is around 6:00 or 6:30pm. Breakfast is 7:30am. Techs and vets on site 24 hours. (Ruby has stayed here 1 night once before).

I can't decide because in one option she gets to run around all day but no one is on site at night. In the other she safes as can be, but no running around. If it were one night I would say B. But it's gonna be 3 nights.

What would you guys pick? BTW Ruby is 1 year 4 mos. old.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'm paranoid and like to have someone living in or next to the kennel where I board the Hooligans. The day care sounds great but if it were me I'd go with option number two where there is someone around all the time.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I'd go with the 24hr facility. Especially since you aren't going for long.

I'd rather someone there than the exercise.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Honestly, I would afraid if I knew there would be no staff all night. 15 hours is a long time without somebody around. If one of the staffmembers was close by, then it might be a differant story. Just a personal preferance, but I also like my dog segregated from the others. I would go with B, for peace of mind, unless Ruby really needs to run around.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
whats her pee and poop schedule like now - will she be able to hold it that many hours over night? i'm leaning towards b because if she's whining/barking/scratching to be let out - there is someone there who may let her out to pee. and/or if she does happen to go pee in her kennel, it could be cleaned up immediately.

my boy is the same age, and although he's used to lots of daily exercise, i personally think he'd be more uncomfortable holding his pee for 12+ hours. he's one of those dogs that refuses to pee inside, even if its in a far corner he wont do it.

are these really the only two options? nothing with an indoor/outdoor run? or a later evening walk?

it sort of boils down to which place is closest to her usual routine.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
also, a 15min walk is 45mins of guaranteed exercise, where as when she's out in the play yard - they play then rest then play then rest... mostly rest, but she'd have company.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'd definatly chose option "B." I think 15 hours is too long of a time to be unattended.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 24 hour vet is closest to her schedule. She only goes to daycare 1 time a week (expensive) and the rest of the week days she hang out at home in her run until we get home, feed, walk, hang out. Bed time is around 9 or just after.

Ok- I feel better about option B.
I thought I was being paranoid mama duck. Plus I've never boarded for 3 days. Only 1. Plus I didn't think that someone at the Vet would here her whine to go potty at night- good thinking!

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
its a good thing dogs dont have a concept of time... 1 hour... 1 day... 3 days... a week... once mamas back, they're thrilled and all else is forgotten.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Originally Posted By: RubySlippersI have to decided to board Ruby at either of these 2 options for 3 nights.

A) Doggy daycare she plays there during the day sometimes, knows the staff and the dogs. I checked and they would do a morning feeding and then an "evening" feeding at 3:00pm and then let her run around some more until 5:00pm to give her a chance to potty. Then all dogs are kenneled by 5:00pm with a cookie. Then the staff leaves for the night. There are fire and burglar alarms, and web cams set up to beam to the director's home office with a view of the kennel room. Staff returns at 8:00am the following morning and routine starts again.

B) 24 hour full blown veterinary hospital with specialized "suites". Suites are 8x8 (for large dogs and if you request a deluxe). They get a window. Feeding is whatever time you instruct. Walks are 15 mins each 3 times a day. Last walk is around 6:00 or 6:30pm. Breakfast is 7:30am. Techs and vets on site 24 hours. (Ruby has stayed here 1 night once before).

I can't decide because in one option she gets to run around all day but no one is on site at night. In the other she safes as can be, but no running around. If it were one night I would say B. But it's gonna be 3 nights.

What would you guys pick? BTW Ruby is 1 year 4 mos. old.
option B.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Option B.

Personally, I would never leave my dog in a place that has no human staff on site from 5pm until 8am. There's just so much that could happen. Fire alarms and web cams are great - but how quick can someone be on site if a fire breaks out or something else happens? What if a dog gets sick during the night? Someone breaks in and steals dogs?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I would pick the vet's place also. At my office we have had dogs need emergency surgery a couple of times and a couple have bloated on us. The staff will be trained to spot certain things where the daycare will not. Hope all works out.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I would certainly pick the vet's office. We have always been lucky enough to have someone stay at our house (to house sit and dog/horse/cat sit when we are away). That is the ideal situation if you can arrange it.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Sounds like you have two good choices. I board at my vets but they don't have 24 hour staffing. I board there because I don't get grief about vaccines, they feed what and when I ask, they are good with meds and they can do any health requirement that comes up. And my two are 10 & 13.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for your input. We have decided to for sure board her at the 24 hour staffed vet office. They are nice, she's happy, and I won't worry. Plus we already had a reservation for her, I was just given the doggie daycare option last minute. But I'm more comfortable with the vets- ya just never know what could happen.

Thanks again!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts