German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a leather or ASAT lead because the nylon is beginning to hurt my hands, especially when wet (UGH).

This will just be for basic obedience and walking outside, no agitation or anything.

Deciding between:
5' (1/2 in or 3/4, not sure) ASAT elite k9 lead:
ASAT Lead 5 L-Elite K-9

and the 4' or 6' (1/2 or 5/8, not sure) leather from all k9:
Ultra Leather Dog Leash - $16.50 : Dog Equipment, Police Dog, Schutzhund, Service Dog, Dog Agility

which one do you guys like better, or if there's a different leather/ASAT leash you swear by or suggestions for what size to go with feel free to chime in :]

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have an ASAT and a leather lead and the synthetic is by far a favourite for everyday use, it's grippy enough even when wet yet soft and strong :)

The leather looks nicer but after getting the synthetic leads I don't use them much anymore :)

For a GSD I'd always go at least 3/4" too :) Bit more substance and grip :)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I like leather leashes, I have a 4' and 6' both 1/2" and I like the 4' better for everyday use

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
I have many leads in both materials...both widths...what works best is what feels best to you....a 3/4 or 1 inch is too wide for me with a dog...horses, I use a 1 inch leather shank, never owned nylon

the length and width for obedience frankly is dependent on the dog's size & strength and level of training...I use a heavier leather weight lead on a bigger, stronger dog during training, and actually prefer a braided lead....mostly a 1/2 inch 4 foot floor tag (ie no handle so you can let it drag and not worry about it getting caught)...

so if you are only getting one lead (yea, right ;) ) I would suggest a 5 foot 1/2 ASAT inch all around lead

I get these custom made by an Amishman - leather and ASAT in any length and width so I have tons of them

Lee

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have many leads in both materials...both widths...what works best is what feels best to you....a 3/4 or 1 inch is too wide for me with a dog...horses, I use a 1 inch leather shank, never owned nylon

the length and width for obedience frankly is dependent on the dog's size & strength and level of training...I use a heavier leather weight lead on a bigger, stronger dog during training, and actually prefer a braided lead....mostly a 1/2 inch 4 foot floor tag (ie no handle so you can let it drag and not worry about it getting caught)...

so if you are only getting one lead (yea, right ;) ) I would suggest a 5 foot 1/2 ASAT inch all around lead

I get these custom made by an Amishman - leather and ASAT in any length and width so I have tons of them

Lee
I have a 3 month old Black Czech Shepherd we have had a month and since she was only 8 weeks my wife got a Martha Stewart leash with a Lobster clasp lol! I am going to need an upgrade soon

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
I have a 3 month old Black Czech Shepherd we have had a month and since she was only 8 weeks my wife got a Martha Stewart leash with a Lobster clasp lol! I am going to need an upgrade soon

a LOBSTER clasp???? Cute! you want to transfer it to a leather or Beta (ASAT) custom lead, that can be easily done....I wanna see a Lobster clasp!

LOL

Lee

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input all!
I plan on buying more when she's older, but she's only 15 weeks old right now so I don't wanna go too crazy :p

Lee
Is this a person you know personally or do they have an online shop? :]

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I have one of this guy's leads and I plan on buying some more

Biothane. I like the hand. He uses a nice grade and quality fasteners. Sewn not rivited. I know a number of SAR folks who buy their tracking lines from him but he does all sizes.

index

1 - 9 of 9 Posts