German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking to breed our Black and Tan male... He has a beautiful pedigree. However, we were approached by a man who says his female GSD is in heat and he would like our male to sire her pups. He sent me a photograph and called her a white German shepherd, but she looks more like a solid sandy tan to me.

Now I thought because the white gene was a masking gene if she was purebred and white, that she would be solid white. Is this correct? And if she is a purebred what would the pups from a almost solid black male (tan on his paws and lower legs) and a sandy tan female most likely be? I've requested that he send her papers to me, but haven't heard back yet. Just wanted to have my answer ready when I did.

I was wanting more of a solid black female for a better chance at a solid black puppy. (Father's mother, and father were solid black. Grandmother was a black and tan saddel). Could we get a pretty markings, pretty colored litter out of this match? TIA

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Do not breed the dogs in question.

ETA: oops, re-read that and it sounds very harsh... Sorry! Bottom line, color is a consideration in breeding, but not remotely near the top ten. At the very least, health testing must be done on both parents. Read up on the Breeding forum.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our boy is ckc and akc registered. He is in excellent health and has a good temperament. I'm just wondering if the female in question is worth our time looking into her vet records, papers, and temperament, or should I just stop at her coloring? Is her coloring enough to dismiss her as a good match/bloodline?

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Our boy is ckc and akc registered. ?

This only means that some paperwork was sent in to put the dog in a database.
Did you read the thread?

Is the dog titled?
Health screened?

What is your goal for breeding?

What will you do with the pups?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Marbury. We have done our work with our boy... I'm just wondering if I can save us the hassle of screening this female based solely on her coloring? Thanks.

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
Have you had your dog xrayed to ensure you are not passing on HD and ED to the puppies? Has the bitch been xrayed? Has she been tested to ensure she does not have brucellosis? Either tested for DM? Any EPI, Mega E, and other congenital issues in either line? Going back thru the generations, not just the dog you currently own?

http://www.cactusstatemsc.org/healthscreening.pdf

Color has NOTHING to do with a good breeding. Nothing at all. A good match looks at the temperament and health of many generations back to bring out the best qualities of both the sire and the dam.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sunflowers, yes he has been health screened, as were his parents and grandparents. Like I said, he's fine. We've done our work with him. Thanks for your concern. Do you know anything about the coloring of the female that I was asking about?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Thank you Marbury. We have done our work with our boy... I'm just wondering if I can save us the hassle of screening this female based solely on her coloring? Thanks.
Yes and she and future dogs can be excluded if 1. they don't have their hips and elbows xrayed and cleared by OFA, 2. AND titles or real life work to prove their temperament and working ability, AND 3. their combined personalities, conformation, and pedigree work well together to produce certain characteristics (besides just color). Same goes for your dog. If anyone asks you to breed your dog before they know anything about his hips, elbows (xrays not just vet says they are ok) and has seen him work, RUN!

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Sunflowers, yes he has been health screened, as were his parents and grandparents. Like I said, he's fine. We've done our work with him. Thanks for your concern. Do you know anything about the coloring of the female that I was asking about?
If she is solid sandy tan, that is a fault. Not the breed standard. I would not even bother.

I would do a lot of research on finding a bitch, if I were you.
Thing is, you may not find someone willing to use your dog as stud.
The owner of the female has the choice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jax08, as I said we don't know much about the female at this point. As I said to Marbury and Sunflowers, we've had our boy's health checked and he's fine. And looks are determined by genetics and I am looking for a rich colored and good looking patterned match, as well as good health and temperament out of this.

That is why I'm asking about the coloring. I can go through papers and vet records on my own, and can look at temperament evaluations on my own. But I do need some help with knowing if this female's coloring is true to the breed and possibly what type of coloring and pattern I can expect from this match based on genetics. Thanks for any help you may have with my question.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Also, please don't breed a dog with KNOWN health problems!

Major, when he had "uncurable" allergies as a pup to keep from giving up on him and finally found something that worked
That is something that can be passed down to the pups...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO! I thought it wasn't right, and you just saved us a ton of work and time! I was expecting the same and was wondering when they were going to ask for Major's paperwork. We are screening everyone that's asked, but when I saw her coloring I thought it would save us a lot of time if I could just excuse her right away. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I_LOVE_MIKKO, those allergies are now fine with a change in diet, and we've talked with several vets that have assured us that they aren't going to be passed down. Thanks for your concern though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Sunflower, that's what I needed to know! :) We have a couple of interested females that look good so far. We're going to do a lot more research, but I know our boy is a "good catch"! ;)

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Thank you I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO! I thought it wasn't right, and you just saved us a ton of work and time! I was expecting the same and was wondering when they were going to ask for Major's paperwork. We are screening everyone that's asked, but when I saw her coloring I thought it would save us a lot of time if I could just excuse her right away. :)
That's good, I'm glad you are screening them. Generally, when people ask questions like that they also don't know about the necessity of xray cleared hips, titles, etc. That is why we all asked, even though it wasn't your question since we all care so much about the breed.

I_LOVE_MIKKO, those allergies are now fine with a change in diet, and we've talked with several vets that have assured us that they aren't going to be passed down. Thanks for your concern though.
Yes, I saw that you said they were fixed. I don't know anything about the ability to pass on specific allergies- so that's good that they don't think he will...certainly don't need any more GSDs with allergies!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jax08, Thanks so much for the links! I do need help with that, and I'm looking forward to doing the research for it!

1 - 20 of 146 Posts