German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Any advice on training puppies out of whining/barking/crying to ensure there aren't endless noise complaints? Also, do your dogs bark when people pass in the apartment hallways when you aren't home? Suggestions on avoiding?

Was thinking of a camera system and training it by recreating the situation and slowly working it.
I simply warned neighbors when I had them that a new pup was arriving and it would be a couple of probably noisy nights. Offered to buy then a pizza and some beer to make up for it and asked what nights were better for their schedules. Kind of planned it so pups first nights crated were their days off.
IF you do it right puppies settle in easy and seldom create much disturbance. It's that so few people set themselves up for success.
I either put the crate right next to my bed or had the pups right in bed with me. I very rarely had much disturbance. We started the daytime routine in short sessions when neighbors were at work, so not there to hear any ruckus.

People walking by: if you ignore it the dog probably will as well. If not just discourage and distract right from the start.

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
I agree with the high-volume piece, it's a bit concerning.. how can they provide genuine love and care if they have so many dogs all over the facilities? When I called her, she did know the dog names, pedigree, and traits/coloring + birth schedules immediately though. She seems to know whats going on, but I do question whether or not each puppy gets the TLC it needs?
I believe they have a staff. And i believe the daughter (who is most likely who you talked to) rears the litters in the house and manages sales. All hear say.
Any advice on training puppies out of whining/barking/crying to ensure there aren't endless noise complaints? Also, do your dogs bark when people pass in the apartment hallways when you aren't home? Suggestions on avoiding?
I don’t. My apt raised GSD was 10 months old when i got her and not vocal at all. Those who came after followed her lead.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Any tips or tricks for training them out of barking/whining as puppies to ensure I don't get evicted due to noise complaints?! lol

Was thinking of a camera system and training it by recreating the situation and slowly working it.
You need to train from Puppyhood a command to turn the barking off and on. Whining shouldnt be a problem. Train to ignore other people during a walk on and off leash.

The working lines are a bit too hard to handle. Which gender are you getting? Female should be less vocal then males in most cases. Also a working line need a job to do e.g. maybe go for a tracking scent training so keep him/her busy.

A few blocks around here is a sable female gsd working line in my neighbourhood and she rarely barks. The owner only told me to give plenty of mental stimulation.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
If a person is diligent about checking sometimes the perfect dog falls into your lap.
The guy that adopted Brigit from me had looked at several of the litters I fostered. He wanted a puppy. Brig was about 4 and came with a broken leg. He visited her 5 times and actually wanted Morri but fell in love with Brig and has never looked back. She is nearly 12 now and he emailed me pictures of her and his 6 year old daughter splashing in the kiddie pool.

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
My older dog wasn’t very vocal, so it wasn’t a big issue. The one I have now isn’t too bad either. As long as you keep the dog mentally stimulated and you aren’t encouraging them to make a lot of noise, it doesn’t come up. As for crate training, I start by working with the door open and then transition to door closed. I’ll guarantee you get some crying in the crate. I take time off in the beginning to help them adjust and work on crate training when everyone is awake/working. Don’t take them out or give treats while their making noise. I will open the door when the whine, but I don’t actually let them out. That has worked for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Hi All,

Wanted to open this discussion up to importing dogs internationally, ie: czech/germ. Does anyone have experience importing? Prices, pre/post-COVID factors, questions to ask, differences compared to picking one up domestically, etc?

Anything other than the typical below, please let me know if I am missing anything here?
  1. Both parents OFA certified hips/elbows?
  2. Both parents 18+ months old before breeding? 24+ months?
  3. Both parents have Elbow Dysplasia certificates? OFC issued?
  4. DM testing for parents? No recessive/positive genes?
  5. How often is the Dam bred? Once per year to allow for recovery?
  6. Breeder willing to provide phone #s of those who have purchased puppies from them so I can reach out? Same bloodline?
  7. Spay/Neuter contract?
  8. On what basis was the sire/dam pairing chosen?
  9. Will the breeder take back the dog at any time, for any reason, if I can’t keep it?
  10. Written guarantee against congenital health or temperament problems?
  11. CH, CD, CDX, UD, TDX, V, VA, BSC1, BSC2 before or after names of first two generations? Champion/titled pedigree? BH, Schutzhund, 1,2,3, IPO 1,2,3?
  12. Both parents have Endurance/AD title?
  13. Puppies raised at home or in backyard, kennels?
  14. What does socialization/exposure look like until I receive it?
  15. How many dogs does the breeder own/manage? More than 1-2 litters at a time doesn’t enable sufficient attention for each litter

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
imo, you’re over complicating things. with so many breeders, rescues and clubs within a couple hours of you, especially since it seems you’re no longer set on a light sable.... at some point you’ve really gotta get off the computer and go hang out with some dogs.

eta:
breeders—
tyson
cooperhaus
kreative
sentinalhart
truehaus
t17
aus dem tal....

rescues—
(if you just want to go familiarize yourself with a bunch of “types”, get your hands on some dogs and see what’s important to you)
bay area shepherd rescue
northern california gsd rescue
second chance
golden state

clubs—

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
imo, you’re over complicating things. with so many breeders, rescues and clubs within a couple hours of you, especially since it seems you’re no longer set on a light sable.... at some point you’ve really gotta get off the computer and go hang out with some dogs.
  1. I've narrowed it down to a few breeders, all are domestic - but one has connects to import. It would be unwise of me to take any option off the table without researching
  2. A light-sable GSD is still 100% my only choice
  3. Have met with a few breeders/dogs in the past two week
Don't know where you're inferring the above from?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #96

eta:
breeders:
tyson
cooperhaus
kreative
sentinalhart
truehaus
t17
aus dem tal....

rescues:
(if you just want to go familiarize yourself with a bunch of “types”, get your hands on some dogs and see what’s important to you)
bay area shepherd rescue
northern california gsd rescue
second chance
golden state

Thanks for editing your post. If it helps,

Witmer Tyson - I have a deposit down and am on the waitlist though it's lengthy
SentinelHarts - sables are taken, nothing until October, though I've been in close contact with them and will continue to check in

Kreative Kennels - seems a bit commercialized? they have a lot of dogs on the property

Cooperhaus, t17, aus dem tal, - not sure about these, but if you're suggesting them, I'll check it out.
Truehaus - Their waitlist is lengthy, not likely I'll get a pupp anytime soon

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
  1. I've narrowed it down to a few breeders, all are domestic - but one has connects to import. It would be unwise of me to take any option off the table without researching
  2. A light-sable GSD is still 100% my only choice
  3. Have met with a few breeders/dogs in the past two week
Don't know where you're inferring the above from?
i suppose “light” is subjective... i’m basing it on some of the breeders you’ve asked about and the original photos you posted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
i suppose “light” is subjective... i’m basing it on some of the breeders you’ve asked about and the original photos you posted.

Definitely, if it helps - light-sabling where the grey/tan is the predominant color versus black. If at first glance you'd call it a black-sable, definitely too dark. I'm on the t17 fb page, beautiful dogs - mostly black-sables but I see a few lighter ones.

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
well hopefully you find exactly it is what you’re looking for and can handle all the sable puppy color changes with minimal anxiety, lol. i would call jeremys dogs (t17) sable..... i’d call the majority of randy’s dogs (tyson) sable.

i can almost guarantee however that if a breeder breeds a (light, med, dark or black) sable to a (light, med, dark or black) sable, they’re bound to produce a range of shades whose final color will be determined at maturity.. if you’re on the list for a “sable”....they (the breeder) isnt going to be taking take shade into account.

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
also...
same dog different season. buckle up.
79B3A6C3-8F5D-4D1D-8634-DE26F3810419.jpeg

(photo from IG)

81 - 100 of 104 Posts