German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Thank you Jax08 for the question.
If I could define my new family member with one word it would be a "gentleman".
A family dog, no necessarily t a guard dog (of course he still would be GSD with all that this entails)
Friendly with people and animals ( I do have a 10 yr old shitzu).
Trainable and obedient.
He will be my companion and walk buddie.
No offense but what you just described...sounds like every other pet dog: "family dog, trainable and obedient, friendly with people and animals, companion and walk buddie." We all want these things for our dogs. A Retriever could be those things. A Poodle. What exactly about a GSD do you want? Do you want a high drive dog? Or a high energy dog? One that has very strong protective instincts? One that you can do sports with? One that you want to do Schutzhund/IPO with? If you can answer some of these questions, then maybe the other more knowledgeable members can help you better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No offense taken and thank you for your response. However, having had two GSD myself, read several books on the matter and being around some others, I know GSD can be everything I mentioned and more including those other things you mentioned. I also know that other breeds do have those great traits but I would like to have my third GSD instead.
Jax08 and others gave me very good advice and I have contacted some of the breeders he recommended.
Thank you again for taking time to answer my query.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You might want to look thru pedigree database to see WL conformation. You'll see variations among celebrated working line dogs. Some have accentuated back lines, some are quite straight. See below:

If you know anyone who owns a working line, you might also take them with you to look at your new prospect in person. Hope you find a good one!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You might want to look thru pedigree database to see WL conformation. You'll see variations among celebrated working line dogs. Some have accentuated back lines, some are quite straight. See below:

If you know anyone who owns a working line, you might also take them with you to look at your new prospect in person. Hope you find a good one!
:)
Thank your for this excellent source
I am looking into it.
:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Greetings everyone,
In keeping with my budget, knowing that I wont be competing at all and as suggested by Hollow Hills breeder, I am considering a long stock coat GSD. Besides not conforming with the standard, I am not familiar with this type.
I have read a few things in the internet and a couple of books that I have.
Can someone share some information,
Do they shed more than normal (which we all know is plenty)? How about grooming? Other than their hair, what else is different compared to the norm?
Thank you for your help

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
There are three recognized coats in German Shephereds. Normal Stock Coats have an undercoat. Long Stock Coats have an undercoat. True Long Coats do not have an undercoat, which is a disqualification in the breed. There is very little difference in shedding, other than the actual length of the hair itself. They will still shed 24/7/365 and blow coat twice a year. They do require more grooming, as they need to be brushed pretty much daily so they don't get matts, which would then require shaving, which you shouldn't do to a double coated breed.. Long StockCoats should still conform to the breed standard, and can be shown in German Style Conformation Shows in their own separate classes.

Reactions: rrodriguez

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
There are three recognized coats in German Shephereds. Normal Stock Coats have an undercoat. Long Stock Coats have an undercoat. True Long Coats do not have an undercoat, which is a disqualification in the breed. There is very little difference in shedding, other than the actual length of the hair itself. They will still shed 24/7/365 and blow coat twice a year. They do require more grooming, as they need to be brushed pretty much daily so they don't get matts, which would then require shaving, which you shouldn't do to a double coated breed.. Long StockCoats should still conform to the breed standard, and can be shown in German Style Conformation Shows in their own separate classes.
Thank you for your response. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,490 Posts
although the amount of hair may technically be the same... you’ll sweep/vacuum more with a stock coat, brush more with a long coat.

i never had issues with matting until the senior years.

Reactions: rrodriguez

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
If you just want a nice pet dog and have budgetary constraints, you might reach out to Char-Wills German Shepherd Rescue in PA. For folks who just want a good family dog and don't mind a pet line dog of unknown heritage, you might find what you're looking for in an easy-going adult that lost its family due to unfortunate circumstances. There are a lot of those right now with people losing jobs and financial security (and people dying). Pandemic puppies are also starting to trickle into rescue. Char-Wills has pulled some pretty wonderful dogs I'm familiar with in the Deep South and transported them to PA for adoption -- including some young ones. Char-Wills German Shepherd Rescue | Pennsylvania

If you don't mind a white dog, you might also check out Echo Dogs White Shepherd Rescue -- they've got fosters in PA, as we just helped facilitate transport to there for a WONDERFUL dog -- he's a little older, but a perfect gentleman with an A+ temperament (with the trifecta temperament: good with dogs, cats, and kids). If you can find a dog named Cloud with them, fostered in PA, that's him.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If you just want a nice pet dog and have budgetary constraints, you might reach out to Char-Wills German Shepherd Rescue in PA. For folks who just want a good family dog and don't mind a pet line dog of unknown heritage, you might find what you're looking for in an easy-going adult that lost its family due to unfortunate circumstances. There are a lot of those right now with people losing jobs and financial security (and people dying). Pandemic puppies are also starting to trickle into rescue. Char-Wills has pulled some pretty wonderful dogs I'm familiar with in the Deep South and transported them to PA for adoption -- including some young ones. Char-Wills German Shepherd Rescue | Pennsylvania

If you don't mind a white dog, you might also check out Echo Dogs White Shepherd Rescue -- they've got fosters in PA, as we just helped facilitate transport to there for a WONDERFUL dog -- he's a little older, but a perfect gentleman with an A+ temperament (with the trifecta temperament: good with dogs, cats, and kids). If you can find a dog named Cloud with them, fostered in PA, that's him.
Thank you for the advise.
I am also looking into adoption but haven't yet found a good match.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts

I’m curious about pandemic puppies. We all predicted those given up would be mostly untrained and out of control. Is that true or are people giving up well trained and socialized dogs due to health or finances?

·
Super Moderator
8,490 Posts
I’m curious about pandemic puppies. We all predicted those given up would be mostly untrained and out of control. Is that true or are people giving up well trained and socialized dogs due to health or finances?
all of the above.
but, myself, having a preference for rescues around the 8-10 month mark, it’s really not that bad (blanket statement, yes) all mine have taken to training very quickly! eager to learn after living with no rules or boundaries.
main concern i’d have with this new batch is potential separation anxiety.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
The white dog I know in PA (Cloud) isn't posted with Echo yet as he's going through HW treatment (I checked on that for you, as he's such an easy companion). Every volunteer who touches that dog says "if I only had room for one more, I'd keep him" -- he's just that kind of dog (older than OP is looking for, but this dog he is who he is...which means no temperament surprises).

I agree with Fodder. The one difference might be that we're seeing them come in even younger than usual. Around 18 months seemed to be the common "I give up" age before. Now it's under 6 months because people are so on edge that they've got no patience left for an unruly young dog. I know of multiple young puppies given up to rescue in the 12-14 week range by people whose stress level was off the charts due to the landsharking. Most years, the week after New Years is a big week for surrendering dogs, so this is likely to be an interesting year. For anyone who used to foster and got out of it to do other stuff, this would be a good year to get back into it -- lay some basic OB and house manners on a young dog, and send them on their way!

·
Registered
32,397 Posts
Many of the puppies were getting training. People out here were training outside all summer. The rescues in the northeast pull Shepherds from the south. It's always been that way. We only have pittie mixes or lab type dogs in our shelters up here. I don't think the load from the shelters has changed much.

·
Registered
32,397 Posts
@rrodriguez _ Char-Wills is an excellent option. They have some very nice dogs there and are dog trainers themselves. Echo is a nationwide rescue. I've done home visits in my area for them a couple of times. Very reputable. I would doubt that you would get any that you currently see on the website. Typically, there is a list of approved adopters who will have first choice. However, you can apply, go thru the approval process, and if approved, wait until the right dog for you is there. You can do that for any rescue.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
I like fostering because you get to test out a dog and usually have first option to adopt. I have given up fosters for a similar reason, they were not a match. It’s much easier to hand a foster off to someone else than to adopt and return a dog if it doesn’t work out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The white dog I know in PA (Cloud) isn't posted with Echo yet as he's going through HW treatment (I checked on that for you, as he's such an easy companion). Every volunteer who touches that dog says "if I only had room for one more, I'd keep him" -- he's just that kind of dog (older than OP is looking for, but this dog he is who he is...which means no temperament surprises).

I agree with Fodder. The one difference might be that we're seeing them come in even younger than usual. Around 18 months seemed to be the common "I give up" age before. Now it's under 6 months because people are so on edge that they've got no patience left for an unruly young dog. I know of multiple young puppies given up to rescue in the 12-14 week range by people whose stress level was off the charts due to the landsharking. Most years, the week after New Years is a big week for surrendering dogs, so this is likely to be an interesting year. For anyone who used to foster and got out of it to do other stuff, this would be a good year to get back into it -- lay some basic OB and house manners on a young dog, and send them on their way!
I looked at the current list and did not find a good match for me. However, I will definitely will keep an eye for Cloud.
Thanks,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
@rrodriguez _ Char-Wills is an excellent option. They have some very nice dogs there and are dog trainers themselves. Echo is a nationwide rescue. I've done home visits in my area for them a couple of times. Very reputable. I would doubt that you would get any that you currently see on the website. Typically, there is a list of approved adopters who will have first choice. However, you can apply, go thru the approval process, and if approved, wait until the right dog for you is there. You can do that for any rescue.
Thank you for the advice.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Greetings, Continuing with my saga of finding our new family member, I have another question:
Is anyone familiar with 4pawsnj.org
I am interested in one of their dogs and put an application about 3 weeks ago (including $10 fee) and only got an automatic email form the site acknowledging receipt. I also wrote an email with specific questions but got no answer yet. I know it is a volunteer run group and imagine they must be very busy.
Thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Yeah, this time of year, the volunteer help evaporates as people tend to have holiday plans. That leaves a one or maybe two folks trying to do everything for everybody, and answering non-emergency emails asking for info just falls way down the list in priority. Everybody in rescue wishes they could do a better job! If it's been that long, I would send them a friendly email letting them know you're still interested and would love to talk with their adoption team -- sometimes that nudge gets noticed amid the pile of other stuff to do.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts