German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had 2 wonderful GSD, one when I was a teenager many years ago and another one who passed when he was 9 yr old about 3 years ago. I am currently looking for a reputable and affordable breeder near Philadelphia, PA.
I am considering Shadowbrook Shepherds in Sylvania PA but do not know enough about this breeder.
Does anyone know them?. I am open to suggestions,
Thanks,

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
Would not recommend them.

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
What exactly are you looking for in a dog?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What exactly are you looking for in a dog?
Thank you Jax08 for the question.
If I could define my new family member with one word it would be a "gentleman".
A family dog, no necessarily t a guard dog (of course he still would be GSD with all that this entails)
Friendly with people and animals ( I do have a 10 yr old shitzu).
Trainable and obedient.
He will be my companion and walk buddie.

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
I would suggest a showline then. And I would suggest you adjust your price rage from the $1700 the above charges. Showlines are typically more expensive. Hollow Hills in Clarks Summit. Kysarah in NH. Both have American show lines. There are several WGSL's around you as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would suggest a showline then. And I would suggest you adjust your price rage from the $1700 the above charges. Showlines are typically more expensive. Hollow Hills in Clarks Summit. Kysarah in NH. Both have American show lines. There are several WGSL's around you as well.

Thank you very much, I will look into those breeders.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

One more question, do you have an idea on the price range for their puppies?

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
No. You will need to ask. As I said, show lines are typically more expensive and you will need to increase your range. But what you describe for what you are looking for is absolutely not a working line so I won't recommend any WL breeders to you. And I do NOT recommend the breeder you asked about.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. You will need to ask. As I said, show lines are typically more expensive and you will need to increase your range. But what you describe for what you are looking for is absolutely not a working line so I won't recommend any WL breeders to you. And I do NOT recommend the breeder you asked about.
Thanks.
It appears that Hollow Hills is not too far. I will contact them.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I have had 2 wonderful GSD, one when I was a teenager many years ago and another one who passed when he was 9 yr old about 3 years ago. I am currently looking for a reputable and affordable breeder near Philadelphia, PA.
I am considering Shadowbrook Shepherds in Sylvania PA but do not know enough about this breeder.
Does anyone know them?. I am open to suggestions,
Thanks,
Cross Keys K9
Williamstown, NJ.

Jacqui n Steve are great people with a great WGWL program. I’ve got two.

Best to you and your search.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This was Campeon, my previous GSD. I am not sure but I believe he was no showline. He had a more horizontal and round back, probably a workline.
Could someone confirm this? He was an amazing family dog.
The reason I asked, is since some of you have recommended going with a showline, which seems to be more appropriate for a family dog.
I now understand the differences a bit better between showline and workline GSDs, but I back when I got Campeon I didnt know any better
I am learning and doing my homework this time, hence the question above.
Thank your everyone who has responded to my query, :)

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
he was not a working line. There is nothing about that dog that says "working line". Just because he doesn't have an extreme slope doesn't mean a dog is a working line. He was most likely an american backyard bred dog. If anything, he probably has American lines in him. German Shepherds are not supposed to have a "horizontal" back. They are supposed to have angulation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
he was not a working line. There is nothing about that dog that says "working line". Just because he doesn't have an extreme slope doesn't mean a dog is a working line. He was most likely an american backyard bred dog. If anything, he probably has American lines in him. German Shepherds are not supposed to have a "horizontal" back. They are supposed to have angulation.
thanks for the info and your prompt response.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This was Campeon, my previous GSD. I am not sure but I believe he was no showline. He had a more horizontal and round back, probably a workline.
Could someone confirm this? He was an amazing family dog.
The reason I asked, is since some of you have recommended going with a showline, which seems to be more appropriate for a family dog.
I now understand the differences a bit better between showline and workline GSDs, but I back when I got Campeon I didnt know any better
I am learning and doing my homework this time, hence the question above.
Thank your everyone who has responded to my query, :)
View attachment 567429 View attachment 567430

1 - 20 of 53 Posts