German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just put a deposit down on my new gsd pup. ill be choosing a specific pup in 2 weeks , puppy will then be 4 weeks. I was wondering how you would tell a long coat from a short coat at that young of an age. i have seen a few things about long ear hair but i need all the help i can get. neither mom nor dad have long coats. TIA

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would say that most people on here would recomend picking a puppy based on temperment first then let color and coat type come next. If you really wanted a long coat then you should put a deposit on a litter where both parents are long coats. Temperment based on your desires and the breeders recomendation should be the priority..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My preference would be short coat and personality would absolutely be the deciding factor as to which pup I would choose. I was just curious about methods of telling the difference between the 2 coats.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
The thing is, it is hard to choose based on temperament at 4 weeks. I sometimes let people see 4-week-old puppies, but usually, I expect people to choose which pup around 7 weeks, their personalities are much better defined by then.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
This pup is a coat:

This one is plush (if there is a such thing -- typical show coat):

The other two are standard coats, you can see the coatie next to a smoother coat:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts