German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

We went to Bruneau Dunes State Park to hike and climb the giant sand dune mountains/hills. After going off trail a bit near the water, we passed through an area of mosquitos. Once away from the water, I thought I saw a mosquito stuck in Beowulf's fur, so I went to get it off him. That's when I realized it was a pretty large tick. After searching Kaze and Beowulf's fur, we found a bunch more. I was able to get off every one I found as the ticks were still trying to get through the thick fur. None of them reached their skin. I've had all of the dogs on Springtime Bug Off Garlic, but Beowulf doesn't seem to eat his supplement meal when I add the garlic, so I'm most worried about him. All 3 other dogs gobble up the garlic, so I'm hoping they're safe. Paw Paw and Nara stayed home. Beowulf has the thickest fur that the ticks couldn't seem to find their way through. I'm not sure if the garlic is working, as it seemed the ticks were staying near the surface of their fur in plain visibility. Was this luck or do the ticks smell the garlic and they're purposely staying away? If so, that would be amazing. I will have to write to Springtime to tell them.

I'm wondering what else I should do to ensure none of these ticks implant their head. Even as we were driving home and the dogs were in a crate, the ticks were crawling out of the crate to the outside. Maybe the garlic really IS working and the ticks are fleeing for their lives. I hope so. I've checked over both dogs multiple times and find a tick every now and then. I don't want them to transfer ticks to the other dogs or our children. I've only ever seen 1 tick at a time in my life, never 10+ at once. We were only off trail for a few minutes. Where did all of these ticks come from? It's a good thing that these are the largest ticks I've ever seen. If they were any smaller, especially on Kaze's fur, they'd disappear and blend right in. Any other recommendations? The dogs are not on any flea or tick medication.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doing some quick research. It looks like these ticks are Dog Ticks. I'm also reading that the only ticks that carry Lyme disease in Idaho are Deer Ticks and Black Legged Ticks. So we are hopefully safe there. I just don't want any creepy crawlies on my children or pets.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
A bath might be a good idea -- if you have Wondercide's REPEL soap (with neem and cedar oil), that's what I'd use.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I've never tried garlic, but if you found that many ticks on multiple dogs I'd be inclined to say it isn't working for that particular species of tick. Might be time to revisit a topical or tick collar as Jax08 suggested. Glad you got 'em before they'd latched on!

·
Registered
128 Posts
The bad thing about dog ticks is that they can actually live in/infest your house or car, so I would recommend giving the dogs a bath with shampoo that kills ticks asap! You also do have to worry about Rocky Mountain spotted fever as well.
Ughhhhhh I am currently freaking out about ticks in my area. The ones here have all been deer ticks so far. Trying garlic and wondercide repellent this week and hoping it will make a difference on our daily hikes!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I use the garlic and Scalibor Collar. For added protection in the woods, I also use cedar oil on them.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Dog ticks seem to be the only ones my dog has picked up on the springtime

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Called the vet to see what is local to this area. They said I don't have much to worry about. I found an 11th tick, still stuck in the fur and not biting the dog yet, so that's good. I'm really wondering if the garlic is working. None of the ticks are at the skin. This 11th tick had over 24 hours to bite, and it didn't. Weird. I'm still looking for more ticks just to be sure.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Your pics just say missing image :( I pulled a tick off wick last week (a deer tick-the tiny ones) gross little buggers! Do you have the tick twister in case they do embed ? I've never used one but the vet said they work great on people and dogs. We bought one for the future just in case 5$.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your pics just say missing image :( I pulled a tick off wick last week (a deer tick-the tiny ones) gross little buggers! Do you have the tick twister in case they do embed ? I've never used one but the vet said they work great on people and dogs. We bought one for the future just in case 5$.
Weird. The pics are working for me.

I've always been able to get ticks out by using my fingernail or tweezers to just put pressure on them and push them out the way they came in. I make sure not to rip the heads off. I've heard about touching them with a hot needle which burns them enough that they back themselves out of the hole. Never had to try that method though...at least not yet. We've also never been THIS infested! Ha. Just glad none of them have bit the dogs yet.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I feel your pain! These ticks are really ticking me off! Hee hee

Since the spring I have pulled 15 ticks off of Dinozzo. A couple days ago I pulled four all from just behind his ear. When I pulled one I thought it was one big one but turned out to be three little ones all grouped together. It was so gross. I know this is in the holistic forum so I don't have much help as far as that goes. I did pick up Nexgard from the vet though as I was sick of dealing with the ticks. So far I haven't seen anymore luckily!

·
Registered
965 Posts
They are showing up now! Must have been my phone or something :( sorry! Great pics.... What a gorgeous family trip!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Ticks have been predicted to be awful this year in my area. I got a tick repelent from the vet that promises to repel ticks before they get on your dog Let me go see what it's called-----Vectra 3D. It doesn't wait to kill them after they attach but keeps them from attaching. It's kind of a pain to apply. You have to drizzle it all the way down their back on the skin.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Counter,

Looks like your ticks live in pretty classy surroundings. Beautiful pictures.

I just pulled 4 off Traveler shortly after this was taken. First of the season for us. We actually had almost 4 months of no ticks. Brown dog ticks are the bane of my existence.

Lynn & Traveler

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts