German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this is my first post and I am doing so because I have a little worries about my newly adopted German Shepherd. Her name is Izzy, she's 1 year and 31/2 months old. Was adopted from the San Francisco SPCA. I noticed when Izzy is on my bed she gets a little verbal when I touch her. When I pet her she is very calm and submissive. When I lay my hand on her, or if she leans against me in my bed or her bed, she will get snappy, make like a yelping whining noise and jump away. At first she would just snap at her but I made her know my bed is MY bed, like i would just push myself in the spot and tell her that it was my spot and tell her lay down in her bed. I NEVER hit her. Ever. Period. I don't know her history too well unfortunately or how the other owners treated her. Amazing dog but doesn't know too well on what she is capable of.

When I chill with her, I tap on the ground and she acts like she is playing... sometimes give a little nibble. The problem is she is a big dog and nibbling is a little much for her... sharp teeth, and a stronger bite these days.... how do I sway her from NOT doing that. She goes crazy when I tap on the ground and is starting to bite. I problably shouldn't tap on the ground if that is associated with aggression?

Ask away if you need more information or feel free to shoot me a message (easier for me.)

This could definitely be a problem in the future and I would like to know how to correct her behavior. I'm aware she won't be "fixed" tomorrow but I am down to work with her every day until we see progress.

Thanks for reading,
Jeremy

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
You are right since you don't Lizzy's history and you haven't had her long, I would take it slow. I would not allow her on the bed. Lizzzy can have her own dog bed . I would not do the floor tapping either. But what I would do is make sure Lizzy gets plenty of exercise, playing (tug - make sure she ends up winning as that helps form a bond with you and gives her an outlet for her prey drive), obedience work. If you have classes in your area, you may want to sign up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts