German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna get myself a GSD pup real soon.

I, for one, do not believe that pups should spend their first night outside of its new home. However, I'm afraid that the pup will make a mess indoors... My parents won't allow that... I don't have the heart to chuck the pup outside and spend its first night there either... What am I to do? He's still too young to be toilet-trained...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm new to GSDs, but I just introduced one to my home. I put him down and let him learn the place on his own pace. He is going to have accidents the first few days! I hope you have a crate, they are a lifesaver.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
IMO dogs should always be inside at night.

Your puppy will need a crate.

Crate the puppy at night so he/she cant potty around the house or get into something that could harm him/her.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Freyja has slept in my bed from day one. For the first couple of weeks she had a nest made out of old blankets on top of puppy pads. After 2 weeks of her not having an accident in the bed she got to sleep on the pillow next to me. Don't forget that puppies need to go out several times a night. Our schedule was in bed by 10, and potty breaks at 1AM and 4AM.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Coming from someone who has been wanting a puppy for about 16 yrs, and done tons of research, here are a few tips

1) Don't keep the puppy outside, this should seem painfully obvious
2) Puppies are babies, all babies have tiny bladders and therefore puppies need to be let out every 3-4 hrs, EVEN AT NIGHT (one of the reasons why i've waited to get a puppy, since i literally fall into a dead sleep at night)
3)Puppies WILL make the occasional mistake indoors and if your parents can't handle the occasional pee puddle, it's gonna be hard on you and the puppy for the first few weeks at least
4)Get a crate, don't let the puppy wander around freely, especially when you can't supervise him/her, you wouldn't want him/her getting into say rat poison or detergent etc while you sleep

I think the key point you're missing is that sleeping indoors vs sleeping outdoors aren't the only two options, the BEST option you have is to let the pup sleep indoors, but you need to wake up every 3-4 hrs to let him/her out to potty...

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
one word,,,crate :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wait until you're old enough to move out of your parents home, and then consider getting a puppy.

·
2,967 Posts
I just noticed this poster is from Malaysia...

To the OP- Crate training is the way to go. An 8 week old puppy is capable of starting to learn how to go outside if you are consistent. With crate training my pups had 5 accidents? Most of them where my fault for not sticking to the schedule and taking the puppy out.

Leerburg | How to Housebreak A Puppy

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you're getting a dog to protect your home, what good will it do you for the dog to be locked outside in the yard?

Also, like other people have mentioned, puppies do NOT have any protective instinct. Not until they are at least 1.5 - 2 years old, possibly older if the dog takes longer to mature. And even then their idea of protection may just be barking, not actually attacking.

I can't imagine throwing a 2 - 3 month old puppy out in the yard to live by itself. And location is not an excuse. I have relatives in Asia whose dogs are well-loved members of the family and live inside 100% of the time. If you're worried about messes, potty train the dog, or set up paper for it to potty on in a corner until it is old enough to be toilet trained to go outside. Making the puppy live outside to avoid cleaning up messes is just pure laziness. Anything is better than subjecting a dog that is bred to live and work with its people to living outside by itself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too have a 7.5 week old GSD at my house now (we've called her Maya) and she is doing wonderfully in her small travel crate. After asking about advice here, we also bought an ex-pen for our kitchen that has also worked great. She hangs out in the ex-pen and then goes right into her crate that we keep in the pen when she wants to nap or hide (doesn't like the vacuum too much yet).

It seems like there is a lot of advice posted (including the one from the Leerburg site) under the title of "housebreaking" that would seem to be more appropriately be called "crate training."

I'm curious to hear from members about how they made the transition from strict crate time to letting the dog roam in the house without mistakes and having the dog actually tell the owner they needed to go out (roughly what age did this start to work). I'm trying the bell method and have hung a set of noisy sleigh bells by the door we always use to take her outside and during the day, we always take her paw and show her how to knock them before we exit the house. We are also using baby gates to limit free supervised access to only two rooms in the house where the family spends much its time. I suppose it's largely a waiting (and lots of watching) game, but would like to hear more success stories on this aspect of house breaking.

·
Registered
852 Posts
IMO dogs should always be inside at night.
I definitely agree. I would never leave my dogs outside for an extended period of time, even if it was day time, unless I was there with them playing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts