German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 5 month old GSD (50lbs) has been limping for about 2 weeks vet says there is nothing wrong but hes still limping what could it be growing pains or what should i start bone and joint supplements he eats natural balance deer and sweet potato thanks in advances

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Has your vet x-rayed the dog?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Could be Pano, or a soft tissue injury. I'd rest him and limit his activity for a week or two, and if it doesn't improve/go away, i'd get some xrays.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Berlin had a soft tissue injury and would randomly go lame in his paw, and cry. It was brief though, would come and go..and he didnt have any pain when I felt his legs (or the vet)...I rested him for two weeks and we haven't had problems since. If you are worried (I was) go get x-rays then. Any chance he could have fractured something? If he is limping though, i'd definitely not let him play as normal, rest him, so he can heal.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Could be Pano, or a soft tissue injury. I'd rest him and limit his activity for a week or two, and if it doesn't improve/go away, i'd get some xrays.
After what we've been through with our dog recently, this is what I'd do. Then if no improvement, see the ortho vet. Ours was able to detect inflammation in the knee just by palpating the area. Regular vet missed a couple things.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Could also be an ACL injury. This is the most common orthopedic injury in large breed dogs. My female GSD shredded her ACL just by chasing balls in the yard...was an on/off limp but she didn't complain if you manipulated her legs. Something to keep in mind if the x-rays are normal...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts