German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you have his pedigree, it would state it on his certificate you received from the breeder.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
what colour did the breeder say he was?
what colours were his sire and dam?

what is the pedigree - IF there is any champion (bloodline) it would
not be WG show and it would not be woring - leaving American bred as the
remaining category.

His pigment appears poor --- lacking strong pigment --- no mask .

but he liooks like a big old friendly pup -

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Breeder stated he is grizzle with blue markings. But I cannot find a grizzle category - so maybe he meant brindle? But I don’t think he is brindle either. Mother is red and black, father is sable.

I just like that he’s very sociable and smart (Not too noisy or aggressive). Breeder assured his history has no ED or HD and willing to give me a new pup (without returning him) if there is any findings within 10 years.

I don’t plan to put him on show just train him for fun and enter some agility competitions- but I want to correct his papers on his coloring when I re-register him under myself.

Yes he has champion bloodline in Europe both sire and dam so I know he is purebred.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Would this be considered a faded black/tan with reverse mask? To the OP, do the long guard hairs have color banding?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This is his pic when he was younger. The color change was drastic. I couldn’t tell it was the same pup. He looks sable when he was younger but how he looks now is unlike any color I’ve seen on a German Shepherd dog.

I got him for his temperament but having trouble in properly identifying his color. But chuck94 might be right that he is still a sable (like his father) but just a light colored one.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Breeder stated he is grizzle with blue markings. But I cannot find a grizzle category - so maybe he meant brindle? But I don’t think he is brindle either. Mother is red and black, father is sable.

I just like that he’s very sociable and smart (Not too noisy or aggressive). Breeder assured his history has no ED or HD and willing to give me a new pup (without returning him) if there is any findings within 10 years.

I don’t plan to put him on show just train him for fun and enter some agility competitions- but I want to correct his papers on his coloring when I re-register him under myself.

Yes he has champion bloodline in Europe both sire and dam so I know he is purebred.

Fortunately you have a pup that can be a great pet and companion . Do enjoy him and have fun with agility.

now to the breeder ---
there is no grizzle with blue.
sounds like they don't have a clue.
his colour's very faded,
maybe I'm jaded
but I think they took advantage of you.

actually the colour looks like what you get when there is a white dog somewhere in the near background .
Saw pups like these when white and black gsd were bred .to each other.
(US breeder that ran a security company and would come up to train . They didn't breed for colour -- just that the combination that they had was exactly what they wanted )

one thing those dogs had was ears with a red tone to the ear leathers .

Are you sure that the dark sable male is the sire of this pup?
Did you see him, or , like the hips and elbows , were you just told.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you sure that the dark sable male is the sire of this pup?
Did you see him, or , like the hips and elbows , were you just told.
Yes the breeder also owns the father. He is very big and aloof. I didn’t check him or his hips and elbows as I wouldn’t know how. Frankly he’s intimidating. I just asked to see the parents.

I just stated that I want an older pup (beyond his biter stage) with no family history of ED/HD and a sociable one.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
did the OP see this male and this female.

it has been known to happen that an image of a male has been used to
sell a litter , stand in for the real sire.

some images now have a "watermark" a phantom image of kennel or photographer

pictures of these two together?

any names for these two dogs.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
you did get a nice social dog . Lucky .

that gives you lots to work with .

So my post above was before I read your new information.

hips and elbows --- the breeder would have had OFA or prelim or x ray on file at the Vet's which
could have been sent to your Vets to have a look at .

·
Super Moderator
6,286 Posts
For some reason this conversation is getting long...

OP, your dog is sable.

You don’t have to specify light or dark, wether he has a mask or not on any registration, nor do you have to mention that he’s a patterned sable (which he appears to me)... so, sable. That will never be incorrect ;)

Grizzle is a color, typically used in other breeds (Saluki come to mind). In the GSD, the equivalent would be sable.

ETA: yes, looks dilute/blue as a baby

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It sounds to me like this breeder has no idea what he is doing and he's just trying to sell puppies. Grizzle? Champion bloodlines? Blue?? And he can guarantee HD and ED for 10 years?? I doubt those clearances are in place.

Regardless, he looks like a very sweet boy and I'm sure you will enjoy him. Agility can be loads of fun! Why was this puppy held back, do you know?

I also think he is a sable. I'm not sure how he could be anything else given his puppy stages and the father was sable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thank you. Good to know he is definitely sable.

I didn’t ask why he was still available. Perhaps asked too high a price or didn’t want to sell when he thought the pup was a rare blue color?

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I was going to say that your pup is a patterned sable, probably with some whites in the background. Now white is NOT a color like black or sable, but a masking gene that "covers up" the genetically inherited color. But it seems to me, that for some reason, dogs with whites in their pedigree often end up with very faded colors (not always).

A blanket black and tan and a sable often produce patterned sables: the puppy has the markings of the black and tan, but the black areas end up sable.

But to be honest, I doubt the picture of the dogs posted are your puppy's parents. Both have strong pigment, nice masks, and no way, no how do anyone of these dogs have whites in their pedigree, especially if they are from "champion" bloodlines, as claimed by the breeder.

If these dogs do have champion blood lines, the owner must have pedigrees for them. Can you post the pedigrees, or the registered names of the parents? It could help us look into a few things.

But as Carmen said, you pup looks adorable and fun-loving. First thing I thought when I saw the video is "Aww, what a cute, sweet dog!" Most people are just curious and want to learn more about their dog's background, I know it won't change anything if it turns out that your dog is none of the things your breeder said he was - it just rankles to hear about dishonest, clueless breeders who go around lying and deceiving people, and all the while taking their money. :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts