German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 month old has started eating my 14 month olds poop. She doesn't eat her own, just my other dogs poop.

We took in a stool sample for her and it did test positive for coccidia so she is getting medicine for that.

Anything else I can do to stop this?

Thanks!!!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
There are products that you can feed your dog that is supposed to deter them from eating poop. You would have to give it to all your dogs because your dog is eating everyone else's. I haven't used them. What I do is to prevent it, by picking up the poop right away and by watching the dog. So when my Sting went thru that stage, I was out there while he pottied, I had his ball to redirect him. After he pooped and went to take a nibble - I immediately said "no - leave it" and tossed the ball. He went after that. I cleaned up the area. After a while, I just use the verbal command and he left it. I did notice it started when I gave him sweet potato treats . So I stopped that also.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I agree with Mary Beth, easiest solution is to immediately pick it up.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Add pineapple or accent (meat tenderizer) to your other dog food. Make poop super yucky. Fiona ate it anyway. Tried potty mouth. Made her poop into pudding, harder to eat. Switching to raw help cut down on her poop eating.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My pup is doing it too, I noticed she does it a lot more when she is nearing her next meal, and probably getting 'hungry' lol! GROSS! I have been feeding her more frequently and it seems to be helping. Have you noticed any correlation between the poop eating and her last meal? I am also wondering what is causing this.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
While picking up immediately after the dog is a good idea, it doesn't keep the dog from finding and eating poop on a hike or at the the dog park. My dog goes off leash on my property to the back of the woods. One benefit is that I don't ever have to pick up after her. If she were to eat it, I would look at the WHY...medical, malnutrition, anxiety, etc. Hopefully that would result in a root cause that I could fix, rather then a band aid approach. If I couldn't find a root cause, I would put the shock collar to good use till she got the point.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I think that part of it may be the nutrition. We are currently feeding her Purina Pro Plan LBP (that's what breeder gave her so that's what we bought) I'm going to switch her food. The dog whose poop she eats is fed Fromm Gold. Maybe that's why she eats it.

We have started putting canned spinach on both of their food for the time being.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There are products that you can feed your dog that is supposed to deter them from eating poop. You would have to give it to all your dogs because your dog is eating everyone else's. I haven't used them. What I do is to prevent it, by picking up the poop right away and by watching the dog. So when my Sting went thru that stage, I was out there while he pottied, I had his ball to redirect him. After he pooped and went to take a nibble - I immediately said "no - leave it" and tossed the ball. He went after that. I cleaned up the area. After a while, I just use the verbal command and he left it. I did notice it started when I gave him sweet potato treats . So I stopped that also.
What products do you suggest or I can buy? Our dog just started doing this nasy thing yesterday, or even before. This only happens in our back yard and back driveway. I tell her no or drop it or even leave it. Most of the time she does but other times she wont. Most of the time it seems to be the neighbors dog's mess.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
If it is the neighbors dog's mess, then the products won't work, unless you can give them to the neighbors dog. If she is eating her own mess also than there are supplements you can add to her food that is supposed to make her mess very bitter tasting. Drs. Foster & Smith has one - here is the link Dis-Taste for Dogs | Stop Dog Stool Eating with Extra-Strength Dis-Taste That may be worth a try, as once she finds out her own mess tastes bad, she may be turned off of eating the other dogs.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Well I think that part of it may be the nutrition. We are currently feeding her Purina Pro Plan LBP (that's what breeder gave her so that's what we bought) I'm going to switch her food. The dog whose poop she eats is fed Fromm Gold. Maybe that's why she eats it.

We have started putting canned spinach on both of their food for the time being.

Yes, nutrition is key! GOOD quality ingredients.
Also a Digestive Enzyme and Pro-Biotic for all of your dogs to help them assimilate their food. Hope the following helps!:)
This is a great one b/c it has both in it AND its made from REAL food! The Wholistic Pet "the majority of which are not only Certified Organic but are whole, unprocessed foods. These raw food ingredients provide essential nutrients for pets’ optimal health. Enzymes are inherent to all life processes and are integral to the proper functioning of all body systems. Your pet could actually be missing out on the nutrients from the food he eats! Without important enzymes that would normally be replenished by eating wild prey, your pet may be unable to properly digest food. "

You may want to choose something without grains like Acana, Nature's Variety or Fromms. There is barely ANY meat in the Pro Plan!
Here is what's in it: Purina Pro Plan LBP Ingredients: Chicken, brewers rice (Filler: processed rice product with no nutritional value), corn gluten meal (Filler:left over from choice part of corn, used to boost protein numbers in food, little to no nutritional value ), whole grain corn (Allergen to some pets), poultry by-product meal (Not Named - Could be ANY animal with feathers), whole grain wheat (Allergen to some pets), animal fat (Not Named- Could be any animal even road kill), pea fiber, fish meal (Not Named), dried egg product (Rejects from Human food chain and processed with chemicals), fish oil (Not Named),

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I feed Earthborn Holistic kibble to Raina and she would still eat poop in a second if I let her get away with it. She only tries to eat her own luckily. I do stop her by watching her like a hawk and picking up immediately after she goes. Scooping right away is the only for sure method to keep her from doing it. She isn't hungry because she usually poops a few minutes after eating. I don't know why she does it. She doesn't seem interested in leavings along the path from other animals when we walk other than to smell deer scat or something but not to eat it. Then there is the problem of cat poop. I scan the yard every morning before she goes out and scoop up any cat piles I find or she will search them out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts