German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm the owner of a sweet almost six month old GSD male and I LOVE him to death! Best dog I've ever owned.

He has never had too much of an issue with his crate, albeit he doesn't love it. He goes in there when I ask him too. Sometimes when I leave after crating them, he makes no noise. Other times, he cries like I've just committed the worst crime against him. You never know how he is going to feel about it. But he is always fine when we get back.

Just recently (as in last night), my husband got home before I did (we had taken two separate cars), and he said when he opened the door Turbo was sitting right by the door staring at him.

This was strange because I had crated him before I left. He did no damage, but we still prefer him to stay crated.

It happened again this morning.

Our crate is the metal kind with a tray in the bottom and sliding bars for locks (no catch underneath to secure them though). He seems to be undoing to top one (I imagine by bumping it repeatedly though I've never seen him attempt the escape) and then squeezing through, because the bottom lock stays locked. Unless he is locking it back haha!

So it seems like we have some separation anxiety going on here. What should I do to secure the crate and make him less anxious about it. If I cover it with a towel he just pulls it inside and rips it apart :surprise:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I've had a couple escape artists. I use little locks at the breakout points and no problems since. I did leave a key in the lock once and one of them got the key out of the lock(luckily did not swallow). No more keys left in there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good idea! I didn't have any locks in the house, so I used a carabiner to secure it before I left for the store and came back to him still in the crate :) I think this should work.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Kane is a complete escape artist...had to give up on the metal crate eventually. You might already know this, but a word of caution to take his collar off when you put him in the crate. If there is any gap that he can try to squeeze out of, he'll probably try....and his collar can get twisted up pretty easily.

I had a huge scare when I found Kane still inside his crate, but his collar was off and twisted up & stuck in a tiny gap he was trying to wiggle out of. It was terrifying to see and happened in 10 minutes while I was in the shower. There are stickies on this site about the dangers of collars...that I read after the fact, of course.

For Kane, it didn't seem to have anything to do with separation anxiety & he has always loved his crate(s)...goes in and stays in without any issue. He just seemed to enjoy the challenge of escaping.

·
Registered
95 Posts
you can lock the latches with caribeeners...(Sp?) Caribieners... you know those clips climbers use?!? good grief.

Those are great for locking latches on crates.

Also covering the crate may make it more like a cave and will maybe help the dog feel safer and less exposed than an open top/side crate.
I couldnt cover mine with blankets or sheets because they would pull them through the bars and eat them.
But maybe a piece of plywood or something like that just to make it more den-like.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I have just used leash-snaps. Whenever you break a leash, keep the snap/clip. You can buy them from the store. Usually you can just snap the latch to the crate, since you usually have to lift the latch into a different position to let it slide open and open the crate.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mine used to do the same exact thing, to the point where he would break out everyday. I second the carabiners, that's what we used and it stopped. We had to use 5. 1 on each corner of the cage, and the 5th on the door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts