German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my year old GSD started limping last Saturday (April 27) and has not improved. Now I assumed she pulled/strained something and she just needed rest (no working, fetch, tug of war, etc.) and she would get better. I haven't seen an improvement I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what may be going on. I've checked her paw for thorns or cuts and found none, she has no problem me pushing on her paw, there is no swelling that i can see and i dont feel as if anything is broken. She runs and jumps and digs and all of these things still but will then pause and pick up her left paw and if she starts to walk its a limp again. I have called my vet trying to get her in Friday, but does anyone know of any home remedies or solutions to try to get her to rest or maybe even a home diagnosis? Anyone see an emergency in here? Once again a very active pup...Any comments/suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would go to the vet asap, just to be sure the cruciate isn't ruptured yet. If you caught it early enough it will save you some serious cash. I picked up my dog from the trainers last november and she was limping a little bit and then later that night she popped something. The surgery was $4500 to repair the damage.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! Thank you! Now my dog doesn't really act as if she is in pain, does that matter? I mean other than favoring her left leg she isn't phased by anything...just wondering if maybe she be expressing more discomfort if it was serious

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My dog was limping on the front leg. The vet said it looked like panosteotis and to change his food. He was growing to fast. That worked he has been fine since the change, but I did go to the vet.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Not to freak you out, but I just started a thread on my dog who has been limping on his right fore on and off for 6 months with no known cause. If anybody replies there I'll let you know.

·
Registered
156 Posts
GSDs are pretty tough. Mine did not even wimper when the cruciate popped. When the vet was moving the leg around she just looked at him with an irritated face as he moved around her knee. If they aren't putting weight on a limb, there is a reason why.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: took Sadie to the vet today and upon doing an x-ray found that the had fractured an metacarpal in her foot!! Never would've known! Vet out her in a soft cast (ace bandage) gave us Metacam (already give to my greyhound for her joints) and told us to come back in two weeks...glad I took her in and glad I know what is going on.
My vet said she should heal fine, does anyone foresee us having future issues, potential surgery, permanent limp, etc? Any comments welcome, thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts