German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Misha just hit six months. She's been eating her own poo.
I'm having to watch her and clean up every time now.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Previous posts have said that this is just a phase. Watch her when you can. Call her inside after she poos and then when she can't see you, remove it.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You should be teaching a general command for not eating stuff, leave it, phooey, eew, or whatever. Just keep at it, I think my girl is growing out of it finally at almost 7 months. It was bad at snow melt when teh ground was covered in goose poop.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My baby did the same thing, I tried to clean up after her straight away and if I caught her trying to eat her poo I said "no" and she got it. She's 9 months old now and doesn't seem to be doing it much anymore, once in a while she'll sniff it and I say "no" before she has the chance to do any more than that. Hope yours grows out of it, it's pretty disgusting and doesn't do much for their breath!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona still eats her poop. She is 13 months. She can only eat it if she poops after I have fallen asleep. You can add Accent or pineapple to her food to make poop yucky. Switching to raw really cut down on the poop eating. There is also a pill called potty mouth. It turns poop to pudding, so harder to eat.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ripley did that for the first six months of her life, and ugh was it disgusting. Putting some crushed pineapple in her food worked for about a week, then I guess she decided the poo was worth chowing down on anyway.

Randomly, for her 6 month "birthday" I bought some beef marrow bones from the store (about $6 for 7-8 of them from the butcher's section) and I give her one every couple of days. Since then she has stopped completely. Is this because of the bones or because it was just a phase? I don't know, but I can tell you I'm not stopping with the bones, just in case!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts