German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a black and white shepherd not BC of the color I thought he was nice in picture and the sellers said he is very gentle . so I drove about 4 hrs to get him. I wasn't going to take him BC bubbles doesn't like him. But I noticed he had a sore spot from a collar being to tight. They said they just got him a new collar. When I petted him and felt into his fur I felt little bumps . I think he has a bunch of ticks. He has a scar on his nose. He is also overweight I think. He is 4 months and almost 50-60 pounds they gave him regular food not puppy food. I decided to take him. But I don't think I can keep him BC bubbles doesn't like him. This puppy in 4hrs l is super protective of me and loves me to death.

I'm not sure what to do now that I got him other then to take him to a vet for his medical issues. I feel bad for taking him just to maybe give him to an adoption place. Idk if him and bubbles can ever get along.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
First thing you need to do is have that puppy seen by a vet. Do you have his vet records from the previous owner?

How did you introduce the two dogs? What happened when they were introduced?

For now, I'd keep them separated. Don't let them interact without a gate in between the two for now. Bubbles may just need a little time and space before she's ready to accept the new puppy. Don't rush anything and try to let it happen gradually and naturally. Don't force it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing you need to do is have that puppy seen by a vet. Do you have his vet records from the previous owner?

How did you introduce the two dogs? What happened when they were introduced?

For now, I'd keep them separated. Don't let them interact without a gate in between the two for now. Bubbles may just need a little time and space before she's ready to accept the new puppy. Don't rush anything and try to let it happen gradually and naturally. Don't force it.
He has no vet records. I feel so upset about this.

The dogs met in a grass area. Bubbles was barking and grouchy from driving so far. The puppy didn't do anything he just laid down. I've never seen bubbles so angry. She pouted the whole way home she was whimpering and making funny noises all the way home and showing her front teeth.

She tried to play with him after she took a nap then went back to growling mad.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Was this the same dog you so adamantly wanted a friend for? It doesn't sound like she really wants one. Why not re-home the puppy and just keep it to you and Bubbles?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So bubbles made a 360. I'm going to keep the little guy. Bubbles is in love with the little one. :) I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out my new phone.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
So bubbles made a 360. I'm going to keep the little guy. Bubbles is in love with the little one. :) I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out my new phone.
Sometimes it takes some time to adjust. I'm glad it worked out!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got all His ticks cleaned of and is on tick medicine. He has ointment for his neck.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
good to hear, do you think the kennel is an AC issue? as i said glad it is going well;

" But I noticed he had a sore spot from a collar being to tight. They said they just got him a new collar. When I petted him and felt into his fur I felt little bumps . I think he has a bunch of ticks. He has a scar on his nose. He is also overweight I think."

choosing a dog because you want to save it from a bad place just reinforces bad human behaviour (seller) and puts money in the hands of those that would neglect an animal while trying to make profit as it seems if as you described.

doesn't matter now, glad you got the pup and bubbles is warming to it. best of luck.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good to hear, do you think the kennel is an AC issue? as i said glad it is going well;

" But I noticed he had a sore spot from a collar being to tight. They said they just got him a new collar. When I petted him and felt into his fur I felt little bumps . I think he has a bunch of ticks. He has a scar on his nose. He is also overweight I think."

choosing a dog because you want to save it from a bad place just reinforces bad human behaviour (seller) and puts money in the hands of those that would neglect an animal while trying to make profit as it seems if as you described.

doesn't matter now, glad you got the pup and bubbles is warming to it. best of luck.
Yeah I was upset about the whole situation. It was a bad situation and I had to make a decision. I didn't make the ideal decision but the puppy is going to have a better life.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Is he mixed with border collie? He is pretty, reminds me of my oldest dog.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Totally thought it was a Karelian bear dog at first. Had to go back and read what you thought he was. Def mixed with border collie or something. He's very cute. Glad things turned around for the better.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
capone that was my first thought as well!!

He is very cute, and BIG for 4mths, maybe they aren't being truthful on his age? Vet should be able to give an age estimate.

I'm glad things are going well and Bubbles has a new friend

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Love a story with a happy ending :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
So glad its working out! That was really good of you to take that dog to make sure it got the vet care it needed. I've bought animals before when I didn't 100% want to give the owner/company my money, but the life of the animal was more important.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
capone that was my first thought as well!!

He is very cute, and BIG for 4mths, maybe they aren't being truthful on his age? Vet should be able to give an age estimate.

I'm glad things are going well and Bubbles has a new friend
I think the age is right. He still has his puppy teeth. I think he's part corgi or black bear. I think he is cute everyone thinks I'm walking a bear. Lol his paws are so big he falls on his face a lot and bubbles pushes him over too. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts