German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i recently got a german shepherd puppy (8 weeks old) on wednesday and ever since he came to my house hes been making some whining noises i got him to eat. but last night i left him in his kennel hes been crying all night ive read on internet someone said to ignore them when they are crying and they'll eventually stop... however today he hasnt eaten a single thing he took up a pebble of the purina puppy chow ( this is the same kind the breeder fed him) and put it in his mouth then spit it out and laid down on the ground is something wrong with him? i can bring him to a vet today as the vet doesnt work on friday's his poop is also a little watery and solid at the same time . this is :confused::cry:

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I would make an appointment with the vet, but it sounds like the little guy is just upset at being away from his littermates This change can cause all sorts of problems like not eating and the watery poop. You need to help him to like his crate and see it as a nice place. Feeding him in the crate helps, and giving him treats when he goes in the crate helps too. What I did to get my pup accustomed to sleeping in his crate at night was I said it's time for bed, and helped him into the crate. Then I sat next to his crate on the floor. I didn't look at him, touch him, or talk to him. He cried and complained for about 5 to 10 minutes and then settled down. He was asleep within 5 minutes of settling in, and I went to bed. I didn't hear a peep from him until the next morning. I did this for about 3 nights in a row, and never had a problem again. Also I wouldn't be feeding Purina anything to my dog. It's like junk food. I would find a good adult food, I feed Fromms Adult Gold, and slowly transition the pup to it. Wolfie has been on adult food since he first started eating solid food. According to my vet and to my breeder, puppy food causes them to grow too fast causing problems with their bones aching ( pano) etc.. Some large breed puppy formulas are supposed to be all right too. Good luck with your new little guy. My guess is he will be eating again as soon as he gets used to his surroundings.

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
What shots has he had? Is he drinking? Is he playing? Where did you get him? A good breeder?

Yes, it's common for a puppy to cry when first taken away from its mom and siblings. You could put the crate in your bedroom so he is close to you. I've heard of that working well.

Stress can cause loose stool and purina is not a very good food. So look at the other factors to see if you think he is sick. Puppies dehydrate really quickly so make sure he's drinking.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Agree with all that's said, but please don't leave him crying all night. You want to make sure he thinks his crate is his safe haven not a punishment place to be. He'll adjust, but you may have to take "baby steps". When my puppy came home (4 weeks ago) I had her crate next to my bed and played the radio or TV (which soothed her). I did speak to her sofly so that she knew I was around but let her whine for 5 min. Actually it took about 2 min and she stopped (she was already used to the crate by the time I got her at 8 weeks old!). Anyway, also transition slowly to a better quality food or you may see yourself with lots of problems later on. Hang in there! It's like having a baby but the advantage is that they grow out of this stage quicker than kids :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the vaccinations he has gotten so far are the one which prevent distemper hepatitis parvovirus and parainfluenza. he has also gotten a shot to prevent worms and heart worms. Atm he is sleeping i havent seen him drink so far , he has a container with purina puppy chow, milk and water. he was playing yesterday but now all hes doing is laying on the ground and when i leave he folows me then when i stop he lays on the ground and crys. the breeder is a good one and the puppy's parents are very healthy i havent gotten the vacinations for caronavirus and leptospirosis . the last thing i fed him was purina puppy chow mixed with some tinned puppy food which was last night i left my brother to feed him it my bro said the tin was opened in the refrigerater its been open in their for a day could he have caught the leptospirosis??? the breeder says its his seperation from litter mates etc that caused it but i want to be on the safe side

·
Registered
394 Posts
Make sure your puppy is drinking water. No milk please (it will give him diarrhea). When did he go to the vet? Did the vet say he was healthy? If he doesn't drink water, you may have to call the emergency vet for their opinion. You certainly don't want a dehadrated puppy!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
My dog did the same thing when I got her. Didn't pee or poop or eat for at least 24 hours. But nature eventually won out and she came around. Same with crying in the crate.
You took him away from all he knew and it will take a while before he trusts you.

Patience and kindness.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the vet doesnt work on fridays so i caqnt bring him today this problem occured today and last week he went to the vet for his first shot and he was very healthy occurding to the vet

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
I wouldn't get the vac for Lepto. It has some bad side affects. Lepto is caught thru contaminated water. Highly unlikely unless you've exposed him to wild animals, places where other animals urinate such as contaminated water.

If here were sick, I would suspect Parvo or distemper long before Lepto.

how about cooking some chicken and rice for him to temp him?

If you try to engage him in play, does he want to play or does he just lay there? Is he lethargic?

I would not give a puppy milk. That can cause diarrhea and give him a belly ache.

here is what I would do...

Call a vet and make an appointment for at least a wellness exam. You should always do this when getting a new puppy anyways to make sure he is worm free and UTD on shots.

Pick the milk up and don't give him anymore for the reason above.

Try to engage him in play. :) He is probably just lonely and wants attention.

Watch his water intake. This is crucial.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Do you have an emergency number for the vet just in case things get worse? If this vet doesn't have an emergency number, IMO I would look for another vet. It's a relationship that you will establish for a very long time and you want to make sure he/she can be available if needed in case of an emergency. Good luck and just make sure to play a lot with your new friend and establish a relationship with him. He'll adjust; just might take some time

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
And what other vets are in your area? You should have a list of vets, including and emergency vet, for future use. I don't think a single one of us hasn't ended up with an emergency visit at some point.

If you suspect he is sick then you need to find a vet before Monday. A young puppy will go downhill really quickly and can not wait.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i took the milk away from him so lepto cannot be caught through a open tin of dog food that was left in tin for a night or so? thats what im mainly worrying about this is my first german shepherd pup and he barks whenever he sees the cat thens runs off hes been. i called the vet and he said he would have a look at the dog tomarrow

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I would give him some lots of attention. No crate for now he is lonley and in a new place. Keep him with you until he gets more comfortable. At least thats what I did the movie him over to the crate into your room. Don't let him out of your sight. Please no milk that does give them diarrhea. You need to look for a LBP food. The food you have him on now isn't good for him. If you are really concerned please check and see if you vet has an after hours number or emergecy vet.

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
No. he didn't catch Lepto from that. The food left overnight is fine unless there was something wrong with it to begin with and then you would have probably seen vomiting and diarrhea.

Canine Leptospirosis

Modes of Disease Transmission. Leptospira thrive in spring and autumn when wet soil conditions and moderate temperatures support their otherwise poor environmental survivability. Infection by contact with infected urine or ingestion of urine-contaminated water is the most common means of transmission of the disease. Less common modes of infection include transmittance of the organisms during breeding, gestation, or through the membranes of the eyes, abrasions or bite wounds, or ingestion of the flesh from infected animals such as rats, raccoons, skunks or opossums. A serovar infects the dog as a maintenance host, using the dog to carry out most, if not all of the organism's life cycle. Under these conditions, the kidneys of the infected dog become the "breeding" grounds for the serovar, some of which will be shed in the urine where they may gain access to other dogs and continue the infectious cycle.

My advice is to not give the Lepto vaccine. Most vets will not give it to small animals because of serious side affects. Jax had it when she was about 16 weeks and her whole shoulder swelled up. My friend's corgi's throat swelled shut. Before giving any vaccine, other than the core vaccines, please research them. Lyme's vaccine can have been side affects also. You really need to weigh the risk of them catching the disease to the risk of the vaccine.

This is NOT to say to not complete the core vaccines for the puppy shots. These are really important! Look up the AAHA vaccine guidelines so you know what vaccines are available and what should be given when.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm not familiar with Lepto so I can't give you any input on this but until tomorrow, keep a log of what's going on with your puppy so that you can tell the vet everything. Sometimes the smallest observations are the ones missing from a proper diagnose. Is he drinking water at all? As Jax08 said, puppies can go downhill real fast so make sure to have an emergency number handy just in case and record how many times he's drinking, playing, etc. Puppies sleep a lot but when awake they love to play. Keep us posted on how he does and what the vet says. Welcome to the forum too! There are a lot of good stuff here especially if this is your first GSD. You will love having him around, trust me! They are the best dogs! And make sure to read the nutrition portion of the forum too for good ideas on good food for him!

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
That's great that the vet can see him tomorrow! Make sure to take a stool sample in and all of his prior vet records.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That's great that the vet can see him tomorrow! Make sure to take a stool sample in and all of his prior vet records.
Excellent idea! ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea im gonna bring him tomarrow another prob i noticed with him now is when i try calling him he just stays there and crys then when i lift him up and placed him on the ground he he stands for a sec or 2 and lays down and crys again

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
I don't think that is normal. Can you get him into another vet today? Will he drink anything? When was the last time he went the bathroom?

Where are you located? There is probably someone on here who can suggest a vet if we know your general location.

Try to temp him with some chicken or real meat to see if he will eat at all.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Take him to another vet today, don't wait; that's not normal. Also if the breeder is close by maybe you can take a blanket or something to get the smell of the litter mates so that he can have the scent at your home? I would also call the breeder to see if there are any other puppies with the same problem...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts