German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bruce (my king shepherd) is doing really well, thanks to help we got on here but I'm here today to ask some questions about one of my dachshunds - sorry, all the dachshund groups that I was part of and liked are now defunct.

Sadie is a 6.5 year old miniature longhaired dachshund, black and tan, who has epilepsy (among other problems - IVDD, allergies, etc). As a result of the epilepsy, she doesn't get to go to as many places with us as Fynn (the other dachshund) and Bruce, because she gets too excited and will have a seizure. She is also terrible to walk, so rarely goes on walks. She's very happy to get her exercise from running around the house and yard with the other dogs.

On Sunday I was at my parents visiting for most of the day. My s/o had to go somewhere, so when I got home it was just me and the dogs. I went to let the dachshunds out of the crate they share and noticed that there was quite a bit of diarrhea in the crate at the opposite end from the dogs. I let them outside and cleaned it up - no blood or mucous, just diarrhea. I figured they had just eaten something that didn't agree with them and one of them got the runs, but I couldn't tell which one. I was going to withhold food for 12 hours to give their system a break but when I texted my s/o I found out that they hadn't eaten in about 12 hours anyways (he fed them just after I left). I decided to give them a small meal but Sadie would not eat anything, she'd just look at it and stand there (she's fed in the crate because she'll try to steal from the other animals). I let her out so I could observe her and she proceeded to throw up a small amount of bile. I checked her gums and they were nice and pink, she felt normal temperature wise and wasn't dehydrated so I decided to just monitor her for the night. She would be fine for an hour or so, then would have diarrhea and vomit bile again. This happened about 3 times through the night. I had her packed up and ready to go to the emergency clinic each time, but then it would stop for a few hours and she'd be fine. I also couldn't get in touch with my s/o to get our credit card # for the emerg clinic. I decided that I would stay up all night with her and then take her to work with me in the morning. The next morning, she was fine - no vomit, no diarrhea, ate a small meal and was sleeping in the crate. We had a bad thunder storm the night before, even though she has never had a problem with them before, I figured she was just having some major anxiety due to that and decided to monitor her. Everything was fine until last night. My s/o stayed up later than I did and woke me up to tell me that Sadie had vomited and had bloody diarrhea but that he had cleaned it up, he just wanted to let me know. So unfortunately, I couldn't see it or get a sample of it. I brought her in with me this morning but the doctor isn't here unit much later in the afternoon and I will only have a short period of time with her (the doc) before my shift is done and they get busy. I'd like to have some ideas to investigate further before she gets here so that I can be better prepared to make a decision about testing when she tells me what she thinks it is - does that make sense?

Symptoms:
Diarrhea (now bloody)
Vomiting bile
Excessive vocalization
Some inappetence
Possible seizure (she had the confused look on Sunday that she gets after she's had one but I didn't see her actually have it)

Her abdomen is soft and squishy, everything checked out fine at her physical at the start of the month - back/bladder xrays looked great and overall her health is good for an aging dog. We did not do bloodwork because she had it with her HWT in April and it looked good then. She has not started HW prevention yet. She was dewormed in May and her fecal from earlier this month was negative. She is on phenobarbital again and laxatone a few times a week (I have not given it since last Friday though). No ticks or fleas have been found on her, but our neighbours have "wild flowers" (and extremely long grass) all through their backyard, so a tick could have bitten her and then fell off - I check them but I don't think my s/o does. The dachshunds eat Lifetime Chicken and Oatmeal right now and have been on that for a few months. Bruce eats a mix of Lifetime and Development Large Breed Puppy, but she's locked up when they're fed so she couldn't have gotten to his food. We have a garden, but it has a small fence around it so the dachshunds can't get in. They don't get table scraps. I don't think there was anything in the yard that she could have swallowed, I keep it pretty clean back there. She's up to date on a reduced vaccine schedule - no vaccines this year.

Any ideas? She's in the isolation room right now incase it's something another animal could catch and I can still hear her howling through three doors!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Ask about Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis. Get the bloodwork done - it is highly important.

They give fluids, typically (if no heart issues) at a pretty high rate, something to stop the vomiting (Cerenia here) and antibiotics.

Hope she's okay. You can search for those words on this forum for more threads if that is it. It is commonly known as HGE.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I snapped a quick xray when I first got in, when the vet got there she mentioned that there was a lot of gas in her stomach so we ended up doing a barium series which seemed to show she was blocked. We did give her fluids because she was dehydrated. I took her home for the night and the first thing she did was have a bit of diarrhea, followed by a normal, formed movement, followed by projectile diarrhea. We didn't feed her that night in case she was blocked and was going to have surgery the next morning. The solid BM she had was not hard at all, so I don't know if that's what the problem was or not, but the next day she was more normal and hadn't vomited again since the night before. We decided to give her more fluids and introduce a gastro food to see if she could handle food and/or if she would have diarrhea again. She was fine on Saturday, so I decided to just monitor her for the weekend. The vet said gastroenteritis, so we're keeping everyone in until it clears up in case it was/is contagious (she was in isolation at the clinic though). So far she's been good, no vomiting or diarrhea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts