German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wrangler (Non-GSD) is getting a little on the "chubby" side. (Not obese(sp) be any means, but he DOES need to loose a few lbs.)
This is also a dog that will vomit bile if not fed "enough".
I know some folks substitute green beans for some of the kibble for dogs that need a "diet" but he will NOT eat green beans
.(Not that I can blame him as green beans make me GAG too.) Any other suggestions?

More exercise isn't really an option either as it is too hot (90+) during the day, and he is NOT a swimmer. We do walk at night when it is cooler but it is NOT helping.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
How about splitting the food into 3 meals instead of two. Same amount - just spread out over time. Then you can sloooooowly decrease the amounts. That way he'll be less likely to have the empty tummy urps.

What kibble is he currently eating?

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
When Morgan got a bit on the pudgepot side, I started taking away a 1/4 cup a day, every week decreasing it until she was where I wanted her. I give her carrots and broccoli for substitutes - lol - ok those are leftovers the kids didn't eat.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangHow about splitting the food into 3 meals instead of two. Same amount - just spread out over time. Then you can sloooooowly decrease the amounts. That way he'll be less likely to have the empty tummy urps.

What kibble is he currently eating?
I thought about trying that. (3 meals)

He eats Canidae ALS.

I thought about changing to one of the Natural Balance foods that is lower in calories but I am DEATHLY afraid of Natural Balance. Several years ago I fed it and one of my dogs puked right after eating, some of the food came up in a SOLID CHUNK almost as big as a tennis ball! (And the "chunk" was HARD.)

I guess I just need to "get over" (I know a LOT of folks that feed N.B. with great results.) but that REALLY freaked me out!

Canidae and N/B are the ONLY better quality kibbles I can get without driving 150 miles round trip. (And I have to drive 85 miles round trip to get those.)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i had pretty quick results with my senior with wellness core reduced fat. its only 9% fat, i think.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Here's two threads I started a few days ago for my 'Fatso'.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=738567&page=1#Post738567

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=738556&page=1#Post738556

Rudy lost quite a bit of weight a couple years ago when I switched him to a lower calorie food (Fromm's Four Star), but gave him the same amount as the old food.

If it weren't so inconvenient to get I would do it this time, as well. Right now I am cutting back by half a cup, adding pumpkin and yogurt. No more canned. I'll let you know how he is doing at his next weigh in. We need a "Biggest Loser" show for dogs and ther owners. I need to drop a good 15, as well. Oy.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I'm also thinking of going with Wellness Core Reduced Fat for a while.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I switched mine over to California Natural Low Fat and I can tell the difference. I also reduced their total food intake by about 1/3 a cup a day. They were on Nurto Natural Choice prior to the switch.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Canidae platinum is for both overweight and senior dogs, isn't it? You may give that a try.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
The NB foods are low in fat. I like that about them (I mix about 1/4 NB fish/sweet potato in with my senior's Instinct to bring down the fat content). If your pup doesn't need a higher protein content, NB can be a good food for weight loss. I'd stay away from the duck/potato myself. Potato is barely one step above sugar on the carb scale; at least rice and sweet potato need to be processed a little!
If you can toss in some boiled chicken breast and cut back the kibble even further, that's great.

My senior also gets wee hours of the night/early morning barfs. I give her a 1/8 cup of kibble right before bed. It comes out of her day's rations. (The other kids get a bit of a snack for running into the bedroom and hopping into their crates. The kibble is her snack). This tides her over perfectly. No more neon yellow spots my carpet!

Instead of walks at night, can you jazz up your exercise routine a bit? Fetch, light jogging, romping on the grass at the park? At 9:30pm, it's still light, but usually cool enough that we can move around a lot and not get overheated. The more we move, the more calories we burn. Walks, unfortunately, don't burn a lot of calories unless you're walking uphill. Both ways!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone.

As I said, I an only get Canidae and Natural Balance products. (Of course I can also get Pro Plan, S.D., Euk and Iams, and RC. But I WON'T.
)
I just can NOT afford to drive 150 miles to get any of the other brands. Nor can I afford to pay the $75+ it would cost to get something like Wellness CORE Reduced Fat shipped since not only am I feeding 3 dogs, and misc cats. But also 11 horses!

I think I will try a slow reduction in quantity first and go from there. If that doesn't work I can always try Canidae Platimun.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally Posted By: 3K9Mom.

at 9:30pm, it's still light,

Not here! It is blacker than the inside of a COW by 9:30!

When he got a little "round" a few years ago. Walking helped. The walking we are doing at night isn't something we have always done.
Jogging would be nice. But I have bad hips (and knees) so that is OUT! But we can add some playing/fetch in the mornings early before it gets too hot.

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
Shipping on 50 # of Foster & Smith Light is $10. This is on their pampered pet auto reship program & 2 big bags shipped at once. You can have delivery adjusted, too, if you need to.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
The best and easiest diet is the Pumpkin Diet. Works well, you can use the same kibble as usual, and your dog eats the same volume of food. Every dog I've known LOVES the pumpkin too.

Quote:Corpulent Canines? by Chris Zink, DVM, PhD
Ruptured anterior cruciate ligaments (often both legs), severe degenerative arthritis in dogs in their prime, degenerative disk disease, and many more conditions that are caused by, or exacerbated by, excess weight.
Includes the famouns "Pumpkin Diet." Reduce your dog's regular food by 33% and replace it with a 67% volume of canned pumpkin (not the kind with sugar and spices, ready-made for pies). For example, if you are currently feeding your dog 3 cups of food, you would instead feed him 2 cups of food and a whole cup of canned pumpkin. Dogs love the pumpkin—it has the texture of canned dog food, it provides vitamins and roughage, it makes them feel full (so they don't forage in the yard for leftovers), and they lose weight!
http://www.stkc.org/pumpkin_diet.htm

http://www.dogpatch.org/Forums/Thread.cf...=1#Message29785

1 - 15 of 15 Posts