German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Our vet finally stopped all meds for Giardia when three rounds did not work, and told me to find a quality food. I used FortiFlora after reading about it here. There is also something called ProPectalin gel but it’s hard to find and gets expensive. I switched the dog to Fromm, kept up probiotics and a little pumpkin in the kibble and it eventually went away on its own. Dogs can get rid of Giardia on their own as their systems mature. I’m not sure all those meds are good for them or necessary.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Our vet finally stopped all meds for Giardia when three rounds did not work, and told me to find a quality food. I used FortiFlora after reading about it here. There is also something called ProPectalin gel but it’s hard to find and gets expensive. I switched the dog to Fromm, kept up probiotics and a little pumpkin in the kibble and it eventually went away on its own. Dogs can get rid of Giardia on their own as their systems mature. I’m not sure all those meds are good for them or necessary.

Glad that worked for you but it definitely depends on the case, I felt the meds weren't good either and tried letting it run it's natural course but my puppy ended up on deaths door. Trifecta antibiotics of (panacur,metro,&albon) for a few weeks, then an ELSA test to confirm it was irradiated, mercolas probiotics, glutamine, pancreatic enzyme and then ultimately switching raw as he had Giardia for 8 months and developed allergies from his immune system attacking food molecules is what finally did the trick for us. If you give him a drop of pumpkin or slippery elm he gets explosive diarrhea since I gave that to him for months during the Giardia. In my opinion the quicker you get rid of it the better that way he doesn't develop food intolerances. Now we have to buy him special food and it's very expensive... getting better everyday though!

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
You are right, each case is different. We tried three rounds of meds first and the vet finally said they could not continue them without serious side effects. I believe it caused food allergies, but it may have been due to the parasite. The breeder treated it unsuccessfully but the vet said partial treatment is worse than none and caused resistance to any medications. It was a fluke thing, we think something got into her water supply temporarily and our dog was unlucky enough to get it. Only a few dogs did. He was a big scavenger as a young puppy, so it’s possible he drank out of puddles when they were out exploring too. One of my fosters came with it, but that cleared up with one treatment, and it was a long time ago.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Natasha Giardia can be extremely hard to cure if you've never dealt with it before and have a vet who is inexperienced with it. We went through the same thing with our 8 week puppy and spent over $5,000 and it took 8 months to cure (explosive diarrhea every single day of those 8 months we literally never got a break). Being in an apartment is even more difficult since you can't do anything about the yard... and traveling up and down stairs throughout the night. I recommended reading all the threads you can on here about Giardia including mine and how we managed to finally get rid of it. We were also recommended Royal Canin for GSD, it's not a good food and your puppy's immune system is a wreck right now.
What’s interesting is that we went for another check up this morning at the vet and they ran a recal test and said that he doesnt have giardi. So they think its just from his food.. I’m getting confused

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
What’s interesting is that we went for another check up this morning at the vet and they ran a recal test and said that he doesnt have giardi. So they think its just from his food.. I’m getting confused
A fecal test won't tell you if there's Giardia always since it does not continuously shed. Please read more on it. That's why an ELSA blood test is necessary.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
What ultimately helped instantly was Koccifree (herbal). I have it on hand for Griff if he starts showing symtoms.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I might try that Vector stuff...

When we got him he was on Royal canin for puppies...has had diarrhea since...Has now been on meds from the vet and a change to some GI sensitive food from the vet, but still have the diarrhea. Its getting expensive and exhausting lol

My previous GSD went through about 4 different brands (and did terrible on them) in the beginning until I settled on a 50-50 mixture of Royal Canin GSD and TOTW Pacific Stream. That was when his system normalized and he thrived. He also had EPI so once I found something that worked it was best not to fool around with different brands anymore. He lived to almost 12yo on that mixture of food, well within the range of an average GSD lifespan. I know a lot of people here don't like RC (and to a lesser extent TOTW), but the thing you hear a lot is, "if your dog does well on a certain food, then don't change anything just because everyone says so." Having said that, there are certainly better quality foods than those 2 that I used.

Btw, my current pup is on Victor too....Victor Nutra Pro for Active dogs & Puppies, to be exact. Again, I know many of you think the protein percentage is too high. (Yes, I've seen the postings in the forums.) It's the food that the breeder gave them and swear by it. My pup's been doing great on it. Poop's been good and solid. The kibble is a dark color, and so his poop is a dark color. And his appetite for it is strong. He gobbles it all down real fast. As far as I know 2/4 of his littermates (I'm not in contact with the other 2 owners) are also on it and thriving.

So what I'm trying to say is...find something that works for your pup and not something that everyone tells you to do. Take their advice but make your own decision. Remember, every dog is different. What works for one dog (or many dogs) may not work for yours.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congratulations on your new pup! Don’t worry, I’ve had my 3 month old male for about a month now. He was exactly like that too and still is. I suggest crate training. Your pup will wine, mine still does but he will grow out of it. Whenever you can’t keep an eye on him put him in his crate with some treats and toys. He probably will wine but just try and ignore it (as long as he doesn’t have to potty) he will learn to stop wining eventually, as long as you don’t take him out when he’s wining, unless it’s to take him out to potty. All your pup wants is to be close to you, that’s why he/she will whine when it can’t see you. He’s still young, it will get better I promise. Trust me, I know how you feel, I’m still waiting for my pup to grow out of it too.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts