German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 week old german shepperd puppy and I’m already feeling overwhelmed.

I dont know what to do to entertain him 24/7....I’m trying to stick to a routine. 8:30am wake up, go outside to pee. Have breakfast. Relax for a bit...Then take him for a walk and play. But when i get back to the house if im not sitting there with him playing he whines and howls non stop.

I just dont know what to do...Ive tried leaving him in a gated area, but hes so loud im scared my neighbours are going to get mad. I know hes young and requires a lot of attention...I just dont know if im doing too little or if i need to be more firm.

Right now he was howling and whining for over half an hour so loud that i took him into my room and hes asleep on my bed beside me.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I have an 8 week old german shepperd puppy and I’m already feeling overwhelmed.

I dont know what to do to entertain him 24/7....I’m trying to stick to a routine. 8:30am wake up, go outside to pee. Have breakfast. Relax for a bit...Then take him for a walk and play. But when i get back to the house if im not sitting there with him playing he whines and howls non stop.

I just dont know what to do...Ive tried leaving him in a gated area, but hes so loud im scared my neighbours are going to get mad. I know hes young and requires a lot of attention...I just dont know if im doing too little or if i need to be more firm.

Right now he was howling and whining for over half an hour so loud that i took him into my room and hes asleep on my bed beside me.

First off relax and take a deep breath! It gets better with time I promise :wink2: . Sticking to a routine if you can is a good idea but you don't have to be super strict about it. What kind of living situation are you in that you are worried about neighbors, is it a house or an apartment? This pup needs to learn to be independent, mine was the same way... if we left the room even to go to the bathroom he would cry bloody murder. What I did was set up two crates, one in the bedroom where he would sleep and another in the family area so he could observe us during the times we were busy and had to get things done yet this way he could still feel included. An X pen would also work or baby gate a safe area with nothing he can get into. Unfortunately this part is tough and he WILL cry... maybe talk to your neighbors and show them the new puppy and explain to them that he misses his mom and siblings and it will be a few weeks of noisy adjustment... unless they are completely unreasonable people they should understand. Something I did with my puppy to work on the crying was reward him with a clicker and treats when he was quiet. This is not an instant fix but takes time... put the pup in the family room crate and take one step back, even for a milisecond of silence click and reward. Slowly progress to two steps, three steps, etc. If he starts to whine before you can click and reward then you went too far and need to go back to your previous step. Eventually practice stepping out of the room for one second and click, praise, reward. Eventually pup will learn that you will always come back and it isn't a bad thing when you leave. The results from this method are good, my puppy could be left home alone out of the crate without destroying things at 4 months old and he has never exhibited any separation anxiety. Don't be afraid also to just put the pup up for an hour so you can have a break and let him cry it out... it feels harsh but if all his needs are met (pottied, fed, water) then he is just crying for attention. Do not let him out while he is crying, always let him out when he is quiet and reward for that behavior. Shape the behavior you want to see more of, patience is key. Be careful you don't overdo the exercise, at this age walks should be him free roaming and moving at his own pace. Remember that just like babies puppies also get cranky when they are tired and will misbehave more... sometimes a cranky puppy just needs crate time and a nap. The most helpful advice I was given when raising my puppy was to take his kibble for the day and put it in a treat pouch, puppy doesn't get any food or treats but his MEALS. Start young and shape those good behaviors, actively work with him and have your treat pouch on 24/7. If by the end of the day he still has most of his meal left then you didn't work with him enough. Before you go outside potty have him sit at the door and wait, click and treat. On your walk if he sees another dog and is interested, click and treat. If he is laying on the floor relaxing, click and treat. This way you are constantly training the pup and showing him appropriate behavior. Use toys to redirect inappropriate mouthiness or chewing on items he shouldn't. Teaching new tricks at that age is so much fun because they are just little sponges, get him engaged in you! There are lots of great tips out there! Everyone has different ways of raising puppies so i'm sure you'll get lots of different suggestions and responses, just do what works best for you and your situation. You're going to miss these puppy days soon!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Congrats on your new addition! What you’re feeling is completely normal!!! You’re doing a great job!!! My pup is 16 wks and it does get somewhat easier as time goes on.
When I first got Caesar I was soooo overwhelmed!!! I always had Caesar tethered to me unless he was in the crate.....at that age they’re scared and missing the interaction with their littermates.
Either use a 6 ft leash and attach to your waist or on your wrist or they have a leash that you put around your waist. If the pup is with you he’s not going to howl.....I take him in the bathroom with me.....no privacy!!! LOL. Having them on the leash helps them get used to it.
If you have s crate I would put it in your room near the bed....knowing you are there will comfort him. I went to my neighbors and asked if they hear the dog barking because I was worried about that as well.....they said They didn’t hear anything....told them I was training a pup and if they did hear him in the future to please let me know.
You will get wonderful advice from the ppl here! Post often....it saved me from going bananas MANY times!!! 🙂

·
Registered
110 Posts
First off relax and take a deep breath! It gets better with time I promise :wink2: . What I did was set up two crates, one in the bedroom where he would sleep and another in the family area so he could observe us during the times we were busy and had to get things done yet this way he could still feel included. An X pen would also work or baby gate a safe area with nothing he can get into.
Something I did with my puppy to work on the crying was reward him with a clicker and treats when he was quiet. This is not an instant fix but takes time... put the pup in the family room crate and take one step back, even for a milisecond of silence click and reward. Slowly progress to two steps, three steps, etc. If he starts to whine before you can click and reward then you went too far and need to go back to your previous step. Eventually practice stepping out of the room for one second and click, praise, reward. Eventually pup will learn that you will always come back and it isn't a bad thing when you leave.
Put something in his crate that has your scent on it, like a worn t-shirt.
Other than that, I'd be repeating Gandalph. Great advice, every little bit.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Put something in his crate that has your scent on it, like a worn t-shirt.
Other than that, I'd be repeating Gandalph. Great advice, every little bit.
Yep just be careful he doesn't eat it!! Some puppies do try to eat things in crate and some don't. Good point though this also reminded me.... get a kong! Stuff some portion of his meal in the kong and put him in the crate with it and it'll keep him entertained. Microwave it with some cheese or freeze it with pumpkin or yogurt if he needs more of a challenge. Just be careful and make sure you supervise him though, apparently a few people on this forum have had issues with their puppies getting mouths and tongues stuck in kongs... i've used them for over 10 years or so and i've never personally had a problem though . Probably depends on the puppy as well, I would watch him a few times and just see how he does with it. Puzzles are great ways of keeping a pup entertained... use a portion of his meal and lay a track of kibble around the house or outside and let him find them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off relax and take a deep breath! It gets better with time I promise :wink2: . Sticking to a routine if you can is a good idea but you don't have to be super strict about it. What kind of living situation are you in that you are worried about neighbors, is it a house or an apartment? This pup needs to learn to be independent, mine was the same way... if we left the room even to go to the bathroom he would cry bloody murder. What I did was set up two crates, one in the bedroom where he would sleep and another in the family area so he could observe us during the times we were busy and had to get things done yet this way he could still feel included. An X pen would also work or baby gate a safe area with nothing he can get into. Unfortunately this part is tough and he WILL cry... maybe talk to your neighbors and show them the new puppy and explain to them that he misses his mom and siblings and it will be a few weeks of noisy adjustment... unless they are completely unreasonable people they should understand. Something I did with my puppy to work on the crying was reward him with a clicker and treats when he was quiet. This is not an instant fix but takes time... put the pup in the family room crate and take one step back, even for a milisecond of silence click and reward. Slowly progress to two steps, three steps, etc. If he starts to whine before you can click and reward then you went too far and need to go back to your previous step. Eventually practice stepping out of the room for one second and click, praise, reward. Eventually pup will learn that you will always come back and it isn't a bad thing when you leave. The results from this method are good, my puppy could be left home alone out of the crate without destroying things at 4 months old and he has never exhibited any separation anxiety. Don't be afraid also to just put the pup up for an hour so you can have a break and let him cry it out... it feels harsh but if all his needs are met (pottied, fed, water) then he is just crying for attention. Do not let him out while he is crying, always let him out when he is quiet and reward for that behavior. Shape the behavior you want to see more of, patience is key. Be careful you don't overdo the exercise, at this age walks should be him free roaming and moving at his own pace. Remember that just like babies puppies also get cranky when they are tired and will misbehave more... sometimes a cranky puppy just needs crate time and a nap. The most helpful advice I was given when raising my puppy was to take his kibble for the day and put it in a treat pouch, puppy doesn't get any food or treats but his MEALS. Start young and shape those good behaviors, actively work with him and have your treat pouch on 24/7. If by the end of the day he still has most of his meal left then you didn't work with him enough. Before you go outside potty have him sit at the door and wait, click and treat. On your walk if he sees another dog and is interested, click and treat. If he is laying on the floor relaxing, click and treat. This way you are constantly training the pup and showing him appropriate behavior. Use toys to redirect inappropriate mouthiness or chewing on items he shouldn't. Teaching new tricks at that age is so much fun because they are just little sponges, get him engaged in you! There are lots of great tips out there! Everyone has different ways of raising puppies so i'm sure you'll get lots of different suggestions and responses, just do what works best for you and your situation. You're going to miss these puppy days soon!!!
Thanks for the advice...

I live in an appartment just until the end of this month and my boyfriend and i move into a house.

I’m mostly worried about someone who lives beside us because she works evenings so she stays up most of the night when hes sleeping and then sleep all morning when hes the loudest.

I haven’t left him alone yet but tomorrow i have an appointment and will be gone for an hour and im terrified of how hes going to react...

He also got really sick when we brought him home so hes on rice and boiled chicken and an antibiotic from the vet so I’ll probably try the treat thing this weekend when hes feeling better and can eat his kibble!

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
The first few weeks I always second-guess my puppy decision, no exceptions, no matter how much I wanted them. But around the 16th week it starts to pay off when they start to understand our crazy world, getting used to routines etc. It is quite a job to raise a good GSD. I just went though this with Griff, who is about 15 weeks old.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Thanks for the advice...

I live in an appartment just until the end of this month and my boyfriend and i move into a house.

I’m mostly worried about someone who lives beside us because she works evenings so she stays up most of the night when hes sleeping and then sleep all morning when hes the loudest.

I haven’t left him alone yet but tomorrow i have an appointment and will be gone for an hour and im terrified of how hes going to react...

He also got really sick when we brought him home so hes on rice and boiled chicken and an antibiotic from the vet so I’ll probably try the treat thing this weekend when hes feeling better and can eat his kibble!

I feel your pain. I raised my 8 week old puppy on the third floor of an apartment. Which floor are you on? I've got some tips if you aren't on the first level lol. Things will be much easier when you move into a house for many reasons. We had pretty thin walls in the apartment and from the neighbors I talked to surprisingly they didn't even hear his banshee cries, it's worth talking with your neighbor if you bump into her in the hall to put your mind at ease. Oh boy... you are starting to remind me of someone, sick pup too? No wonder you are stressed. What did the vet say he had ? What was their reasoning for the antibiotic? Did he have a parasite? Coccidia ? Giardia? And what food was he on prior to the boiled chicken and rice and is the new diet helping? Try not to worry about your appt tomorrow, just crate him and leave a radio or the TV on to comfort him, he will survive. Many people raise puppies and work full time jobs and aren't home most the day.. they somehow make it. Sick puppies may have to go outside more, I know mine did from drinking tons of water to compensate for the diarrhea.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel your pain. I raised my 8 week old puppy on the third floor of an apartment. Which floor are you on? I've got some tips if you aren't on the first level lol. Things will be much easier when you move into a house for many reasons. We had pretty thin walls in the apartment and from the neighbors I talked to surprisingly they didn't even hear his banshee cries, it's worth talking with your neighbor if you bump into her in the hall to put your mind at ease. Oh boy... you are starting to remind me of someone, sick pup too? No wonder you are stressed. What did the vet say he had ? What was their reasoning for the antibiotic? Did he have a parasite? Coccidia ? Giardia? And what food was he on prior to the boiled chicken and rice and is the new diet helping? Try not to worry about your appt tomorrow, just crate him and leave a radio or the TV on to comfort him, he will survive. Many people raise puppies and work full time jobs and aren't home most the day.. they somehow make it. Sick puppies may have to go outside more, I know mine did from drinking tons of water to compensate for the diarrhea.
They said giardi but the breeder I got him from was not clear on the food he was on...Really left us in the dark about a lot even though I asked. So with a vets recommendation hes on Royal canin for german shepperd puppies.
His diarrhea has stopped now but I’m just worried about when he starts back on the royal canin food what hes going to do...I’ve been giving him half a cup of the kibble throughout the day so that he can get somewhat used to it still...

I’ll definitely do that, with the tv/radio! Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
11,132 Posts
Royal Canin may be too rich....I have seen a few dogs do fine on other stuff that have the runs on it....

Good luck!

Lee

·
Registered
744 Posts
The first few weeks I always second-guess my puppy decision, no exceptions, no matter how much I wanted them. But around the 16th week it starts to pay off when they start to understand our crazy world, getting used to routines etc. It is quite a job to raise a good GSD. I just went though this with Griff, who is about 15 weeks old.

Ditto. I went through it with the first GSD. I almost returned him after the first week. And I'm going through it with the current 11.5 week old too. I keep saying to myself "what did I get myself into again." But I know it'll get better and I just have to be patient. In the 3 weeks I've had him, it's already getting better. Stay strong!

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Change it gradually, about 1/4 C a day, increase the new food, decrease the old. Mine had giardia. I switched him to Fromm, gave him probiotics and a little pumpkin. He was on meds that did not work.

He can learn to stop whining in one day. Put him in his crate and walk in and it of the room 100 times. If he whines, ignore him. If he’s quiet, use your voice and praise him but don’t take him out. You have already rewarded whining by putting him in your bed. I have done that with my last two puppies and they stopped whining within a day. Mine sleep in a crate right next to me at night until they are old enough to sleep on their own beds outside a crate.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Something I’ve learned with multiple dogs over the years is every dog is different. I had a male that had to be crated every time we left the house for almost 2 years. My youngest shepherd just turned 2, and she almost never had to go up. I can count the number of potty accidents she’s had in the house on one hand(and that’s from 8 weeks on), and she always did really well sticking to her toys. Just keep doing what your doing and be strong. I’ve never met a new puppy that “loved” their crate, and yet in a few months they’ll freak if you move it.

Also, if you keep having stomach problems I personally recommend Victor dog foods. I spent several years gradually working through foods, and my male was even on Royal as a puppy. My wife says that’s why he’s monstrous. Since he was on his fancy food as a puppy.

Out of curiosity, did you purchase the food at your vets? I’ve found over the years that vets have a food “partner”, and will push their food to customers. Near me one vet only sells Royal and the other across town only sells Eukanuba. So while they aren’t bad foods they might not be the best for you and your puppy.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Also, if you keep having stomach problems I personally recommend Victor dog foods. I spent several years gradually working through foods, and my male was even on Royal as a puppy. My wife says that’s why he’s monstrous. Since he was on his fancy food as a puppy.
We got our puppy at 8 weeks, a little too early from the breeder imo, and she had crazy diarrhea. I gradually changed her over to Victor, was recommended by our trainer, and she quickly started pooping solid. She's finally 100% switched. I did half and half. Her food the breeder was feeding was some local tractor trailer store brand called Puppy Retriever.

I feel ya on the craziness with a puppy. Some times I'm glad i work during the week, but then I feel bad for my wife LOL. We have her on a routine as well and even get her out to play with other puppies/dogs to get the energy out. I also have a Kong rubber thing I put some treats in that entertains her for quite a while. I also bought some Bully Sticks (pizzle sticks) from Costco that keeps her busy for quite a while. When I gave her the first one she's ever had, she chomped on it for a good hour. Once she's been up for a while during the day, 3 hours, playing or whatever we put her down for a nap and she goes right down for a little over an hour. I was told puppies need at least 18 hours of sleep a day. Sounds crazy and I don't think Mei even gets that much, but she does go down for naps easily. We also have her crate in the master bedroom, like someone mentioned doing.

Once she begins nipping at people too, that tells me it's time for her to go lay down.

I also can't wait till the puppy stage is over! lol

·
4,497 Posts
You can't wait but trust me, you'll also miss it. Be careful because once you realize your charming do isn't a little puppy anymore, it is common to get "puppy fever" thinking that you might want another. :wink2:

·
Registered
744 Posts
You can't wait but trust me, you'll also miss it. Be careful because once you realize your charming do isn't a little puppy anymore, it is common to get "puppy fever" thinking that you might want another. :wink2:
With my 1st GSD, I was hoping he'd grow up fast and that I didn't have to deal with the puppy stage anymore. When he got older and after he was gone, I wished I had spent more time enjoying the puppy stage and taken more pictures. I told myself before I got this new puppy that I would take the time to enjoy the puppy stage this time but I find myself now going through the same emotions as last time...lol. Puppy stage is hard work and for those of us who spend all day with them, it's exhausting. He's now 12.5 weeks old now and the biting is slightly better and the potty training is almost there. The big problem I'm having is the constant eating (or trying to eat) rocks, twigs, mulch, trash, dead worms, grass, leaves, dirt, concrete, asphalt, etc... It's tiring and frustrating having to pick out things from his mouth every 10 secs. But what I'm trying to say to you, OP, is you're not alone. There are many of us who feel "overwhelmed." Just hang in there and know that you have a "support" group here in the forums.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With my 1st GSD, I was hoping he'd grow up fast and that I didn't have to deal with the puppy stage anymore. When he got older and after he was gone, I wished I had spent more time enjoying the puppy stage and taken more pictures. I told myself before I got this new puppy that I would take the time to enjoy the puppy stage this time but I find myself now going through the same emotions as last time...lol. Puppy stage is hard work and for those of us who spend all day with them, it's exhausting. He's now 12.5 weeks old now and the biting is slightly better and the potty training is almost there. The big problem I'm having is the constant eating (or trying to eat) rocks, twigs, mulch, trash, dead worms, grass, leaves, dirt, concrete, asphalt, etc... It's tiring and frustrating having to pick out things from his mouth every 10 secs. But what I'm trying to say to you, OP, is you're not alone. There are many of us who feel "overwhelmed." Just hang in there and know that you have a "support" group here in the forums.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it :) Yeah it has even gotten better in the last couple days...only thing driving me crazy now is the hard biting during this teething phase.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We got our puppy at 8 weeks, a little too early from the breeder imo, and she had crazy diarrhea. I gradually changed her over to Victor, was recommended by our trainer, and she quickly started pooping solid. She's finally 100% switched. I did half and half. Her food the breeder was feeding was some local tractor trailer store brand called Puppy Retriever.

I feel ya on the craziness with a puppy. Some times I'm glad i work during the week, but then I feel bad for my wife LOL. We have her on a routine as well and even get her out to play with other puppies/dogs to get the energy out. I also have a Kong rubber thing I put some treats in that entertains her for quite a while. I also bought some Bully Sticks (pizzle sticks) from Costco that keeps her busy for quite a while. When I gave her the first one she's ever had, she chomped on it for a good hour. Once she's been up for a while during the day, 3 hours, playing or whatever we put her down for a nap and she goes right down for a little over an hour. I was told puppies need at least 18 hours of sleep a day. Sounds crazy and I don't think Mei even gets that much, but she does go down for naps easily. We also have her crate in the master bedroom, like someone mentioned doing.

Once she begins nipping at people too, that tells me it's time for her to go lay down.

I might try that Vector stuff...

When we got him he was on Royal canin for puppies...has had diarrhea since...Has now been on meds from the vet and a change to some GI sensitive food from the vet, but still have the diarrhea. Its getting expensive and exhausting lol

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I might try that Vector stuff...

When we got him he was on Royal canin for puppies...has had diarrhea since...Has now been on meds from the vet and a change to some GI sensitive food from the vet, but still have the diarrhea. Its getting expensive and exhausting lol
Natasha Giardia can be extremely hard to cure if you've never dealt with it before and have a vet who is inexperienced with it. We went through the same thing with our 8 week puppy and spent over $5,000 and it took 8 months to cure (explosive diarrhea every single day of those 8 months we literally never got a break). Being in an apartment is even more difficult since you can't do anything about the yard... and traveling up and down stairs throughout the night. I recommended reading all the threads you can on here about Giardia including mine and how we managed to finally get rid of it. We were also recommended Royal Canin for GSD, it's not a good food and your puppy's immune system is a wreck right now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts