German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I’m just looking for some help I have a 15 week old panda German Shepard and I’ve never had one act the way she dose and I’ve had 5 GSD through out my life time So I’m not new to the breed and they have all been happy go lucky but she just lays around and is scared to death it seems like when I put her in her crate at night she goes all the way to the back and lays down and when I come home from work she won’t even look at me
And she won’t eat won’t play won’t go out and use the bathroom and when I finally get her out to go use the bathroom anything she sees that she thinks she can get under she will try I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong I’m just looking for a little help cause I’m baffled thank you in advance Luke

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
How long have you had her and did she exhibit this fearful behavior when you first met her at the breeder's?

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
Ok.I have a thing for shy dogs and puppies:) It's very gratifying to bring them out of their shells and help them build their confidence.Think of her as a feral creature and speak to her softly and handle her gently,slowly, and patiently.Sitting next to her feeding her by hand can be helpful.Hugging and staring directly into her eyes is to be avoided.She'll come around when she realizes this is her new home and family.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok.I have a thing for shy dogs and puppies:) It's very gratifying to bring them out of their shells and help them build their confidence.Think of her as a feral creature and speak to her softly and handle her gently,slowly, and patiently.Sitting next to her feeding her by hand can be helpful.Hugging and staring directly into her eyes is to be avoided.She'll come around when she realizes this is her new home and
Ok.I have a thing for shy dogs and puppies:) It's very gratifying to bring them out of their shells and help them build their confidence.Think of her as a feral creature and speak to her softly and handle her gently,slowly, and patiently.Sitting next to her feeding her by hand can be helpful.Hugging and staring directly into her eyes is to be avoided.She'll come around when she realizes this is her new home and family.
Thank you so much I will try that I’ve tried to feed her by hand and give her treats when she goes out to the bathroom and she will not eat or take the treat that’s what started throwing me off like I’ve had a couple that’s a little shy the first day but the next day it was as if they had been here since birth and the rest I’ve had was just like Part of the family instantly wasn’t shy or anything so this has been a new adventure for me and the last 3 days has been a little rough she jumped into the front of my oven door and busted the glass out of it trying to get away from me I’m not going to say I was emotionless but I walked away and left her alone and eventually went and found her and made sure she was ok she was fine but but I never yelled never told her no just thought to myself that’s not good I’ll clean up the glass and go find her and give her some time to settle down....also she has met my sisters dog 2 times and seems to do good with her she actually wags her tail so is that something I should continue or just kinda wait till she comes out of her shell a little bit

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
If your sister's dog is calm and friendly, it could help quite a bit to have her around this puppy. The dog could help show the puppy that people are not to be feared!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
As you know the dog is a bit older than normal when first brought home.
Was it re-homed? That could tell you a lot right there.
If at the breeder all this time (15 weeks) was it not overly socialized at the breeder (very common with COVID). In this case the breeder's responsibility was to have socialized, began early training, house trained fully etc. Or it could have been in a pen in the basement or stall in a barn. what was its situation?
What were the breeders other dogs like?

At 15 weeks, it would have been fully engaged with it's dam (sire) and littermates. This is a huge shock to suddenly go home with you and you are crating for significant periods right off the bat? ("when I come home from work"). You needed to arrange for some time off imo.

Even at that. it's rare for a pup not to be interested/ecstatic to get out of the crate. If she's not eating, playing or even going to the bathroom, have you ruled out a health issue.

Have you been to the vet yet?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts