German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My living room started to stink like dog. I am clean, I vacuum and sweep etc...keep my house clean. So, I noticed it was around the couch where it was stinky. I couldn't see anything, I have neutral colored carpet and fabrics. So, I got a black light at the pet store. Oh man, can I just say GROSS!!!! :( I could actually see the patch on which he had been marking. Oh yucko. I got some urine eating enzyme de-stinkifier stuff and used it on the area. Has anyone ever used that stuff and if so, what were your results? I'm so grossed out, I want to cry. I want new carpet. I want tile floors and plastic furniture. I want to cry.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry; that's just awful. :(

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Euwwww, I feel your pain.
We got rid of all or our carpets because I couldn't stand that "dog" smell in the summer or when the dogs got wet on a rainy day, it made a big difference. So much easier to keep clean. (If you don't count the dog fur that's constantly floating around)

Hope whatever you used worked. :)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I sweep or vacuum my hard surface floors at least 3 times a day. Based on that, I don't think there's any way you can keep carpets clean if you dog has access to them. I'm lobbying for hardwood throughout the house right now. OR we might move.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We just built this house 6 years ago. I would like new carpet...but I'm afraid he may stink them up again! I sweep the hardwoods and tile entry daily. I just pray that the enzyme stuff works!! I wish I knew people who have tried it with good results. ugghhh..

·
Registered
367 Posts
I prefer hardwood and tile too, given my way the whole house will be nothing but hardwood and tile/linoleum flooring. Your pet stains are going to be a long term problem for a male I have only had one male in my house and it wasnt my dog. every time he was loose overnight he pooped on corner and marked corner of my couch. ir was my room mates dog and she did not crate him. the only way to break him is to put in crate overnight take him outside in the am. then watch like a hawk. old saying is "a dog's always got a little pee in him". it is in reference to a male's natural tendency to not eliminate all pee in order to store some for territory marking.

As for your carpets the only way I know to be permanently rid of the problem is to rug doctor the carpets with pet stain remover and a TINY amount of bleach in it. If you check at the local rug doctor suppliers they may have a rug doctor spot treatment machine. good luck.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Joshua. He sleeps in my room on his bed. He isn't doing it while I'm home. I walk him first thing in the morning for 45 minutes and I come home at lunch to let him out to urinate and then I walk him again for another 45 - 60 minutes when I get home after work. He doesn't defecate in the house, just likes to mark the couch. I bet I could talk my husband into puting hardwoods in the living room.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
We just built this house 6 years ago. I would like new carpet...but I'm afraid he may stink them up again! I sweep the hardwoods and tile entry daily. I just pray that the enzyme stuff works!! I wish I knew people who have tried it with good results. ugghhh..
When our first shepherd got older she started having accidents in the house. (poor ole girl) Anyway..we had carpet then and I found that Nature's Miracle worked really well.
The problem if you have wall to wall is that the urine sinks down into the carpet pad and then spreads out. (think sponge) You'll have to clean a bigger area than what showed up with the black light. :(

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I would be crating him when I couldn't watch him and treat him like a puppy. There is NO excuse for a dog to be marking in the house. As you can tell, it's disgusting.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Sorry no advice I'm just dyig laughing. Destinkifier is a great word,lol I have tile and hardwood on our main floor and carpeting upstairs....it's easy to clean and no destinkifying needed:D

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I had to pull up my carpet after Doerak died. He had cancer and the combination of the Tramadol and Prednisone caused him to pee in the house. I think he was too spaced out to know he was doing it, because I was right there and trying to get him outside. But he was a rock and just stood there peeing a river.

Well, anyway, I took up the carpet and primed and put down Pergo. So far, so good.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I agree with the crating...

But I have a dog who is older and just last year started to pee in the house. We don't have much carpet but we did have to hire someone to come and treat and clean it (and they did a great job, used a blacklight and everything). And then, we went on Ebay and bought Belly Bands. They are just fabric with a velcro closure... made from nice soft material. The idea is you put this thing on them (males only) like a belt and then they will only pee when you take it off them and let them outside. You can use a pad in the band at first. They learn very fast that it is NO FUN to mark in the house anymore... they get wet and nothing else does. After my dog got the point, he never pees in his belly band anymore. He waits for us to take it off him and let him out! Looks a little silly, but NO pee in the house anymore!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Belly bands, eh? I'll have to look that up. But really, I just think it is because he is new, in a house that had once had a dog, and he is being a dog himself. I just want the smell GONE. I sprayed the natures miracle on the couch where he marked. I used a lot like they said. It dried, and I checked it with a blacklight again, and it doesn't show, so maybe that is a good sign?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've always found rubbing alcohol to be great with dog urine. After you've sopped up as much urine as possible, you pour (Yes, pour!) rubbing alcohol in the same area. Let set for just a couple minutes, then sop THAT up. That tends to eliminate the scent, and MAY break the marking cycle.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've always found rubbing alcohol to be great with dog urine. After you've sopped up as much urine as possible, you pour (Yes, pour!) rubbing alcohol in the same area. Let set for just a couple minutes, then sop THAT up. That tends to eliminate the scent, and MAY break the marking cycle.
Thanks. You must be right, because this Nature Miracle smells like pure rubbing alcohol but it supposedly has special enzymes that eat urine. How would you like that for a job! So far that has worked. The carpet is another story. I cleaned it first with regular carpet cleaner so they say the enzyme stuff won't work unless you use it first. D'oh. Well, we'll see. I told my husband that I want hardwood floors in the living room, he seemed to agree it is a good idea. Now to pay for it will be a different thing altogether!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts