German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i took my 11 month old GSD for a long walk to my local cigar shop. Along the way I saw quite a few people that I knew, and had no issues with Ty barking. I arrive at the cigar shop, and a dog in a parked car is going NUTS, ty didnt bark back, but he was definatly watching that dog. We go inside, and a little maltese runs up barking at him and this is when he started barking. He wouldn't let anyone get near him without barking at them. I seem to think I have done a decent jod socializing him, but obviously not enough, and since he barks at some people, it is difficult to have them come up to him and be properly introduced because now they are afraid of him. BTW, he has never bitten anyone, just barks.

Where should I start?

·
Registered
671 Posts
My guess would be that the barking dog got him really amped up and then the small dog in the shop put him over the top. You probably should have taken him out and walked him around a bit to let him calm down and then maybe tried it again. Ty was over his threshold as the say. Too much stimulation I suspect.
You mention that he barks at "some people". When?? Where? What are the circumstances?? I bet there are triggers we have to figure out what they are. GIve us some more details to work with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the thing, i am having trouble finding the triggers. It has only ever been male adults. I think (correct me if I am wrong) that he just needs to spend a lot more time around new people that aren't afraid to let him approach them and warm up on his own. Eye contact is always present, and you know how it goes, once he barks, no one will take their eyes off of him...

·
Registered
53 Posts
You need to make the dog focus on you until he calms down. With Rosie I have a really hard time because when she is amped up she WILL NOT look at me. I have to really work with her to get her to pay attention, sit, stay, calm down, etc. Then we can walk a little, sit & stay again, etc. I stay around the area of whatever it is that amps her up (as long as it isn't trying to get in her face). This is usually a cat, one of my horses or new people (who don't cooperate and then she jumps up on them-grrr!!!). Once she settles down we move closer but with the neighbor's cat I don't want any incidents so we haven't actually been real close to that one yet. Rosie has her own cat but it took a while to get them sociallized when I first got Rosie so I don't want any incidents with this other cat or her kittens. Taking her to agility class has really helped because when the other dogs run she thinks its PLAYTIME!! Her first instinct in play is to attack, so I have to get her calmed while they run the course.
And Rosie doesn't show any triggers either, other than she totally focuses on them and won't look at me. Then I know she might lash out - Jumping on people or attacking another dog. So when you said he was really watching the barking dog, that would be the trigger cue and you need to get his focus on you. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts