German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am just starting to look at breeders and needless to say the amount of information out there is overwhelming. Unfortunately it appears most internet searches return less than ideal breeders so I am trying to get myself grounded and pointed in the right direction.

A thread is this forum suggested the GSDC of Minneapolis & St.Paul as somewhere to look so I have started there.

What I am looking for (I think to use some of the terminology) is a service line Black/Tan or Black/Red male to be primarily a companion pet.

Has anyone had any good experience with any breeders in this area they would suggest contacting or other resources I could look at?

Also what is a typical price range for a 8-11 week old puppy? I am not hung up too much on price but more trying to determine what corners a breeder may be cutting or what they do that justifies a premium. I've seen everything from 1300-3000+ and don't have a good idea what in that range is generally reasonable.

·
Registered
813 Posts
1500-2000 is the average price for a working line pup. I just drove from California to Illinois to pick up my little guy last week. Don’t limit yourself.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Definitely don't limit yourself to a particular area. Know the type of dog you like, and what you can handle and find a breeder that will match you with a puppy.

I flew from Ontario Canada to Kansas to pick up my girl. Eight months in and still the best thing I have done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will certainly look to expand my search. I have to imagine somewhere in MN or the surrounding states I should be able to locate a quality breeder.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this individual? I located them through Hoobly.

lakeviewshepherds (in battle Lake MN)

It seems to hit on all the things I would want to see:

All puppies sold come with Full AKC, 2 year Health Guarantee, 30 Month Hip/Elbow Guarantee, and Lifetime Breeder Support. The puppy selection is based on suggestion by the breeder.
Both parents are on site (i think), OFA certified Hips/Elbows, DM cleared.

The things I am balking at a little are:
Dual sired litter (at least this one I am looking at specifically). I am not sure if this is something to be cautious of. The breeder did say they would be DNA testing the puppies to register them with the correct parents.
The price of 2500-3000+tax seems on the higher end of the range. The breeder and quality of dog may be worth it in this case though although the Dame and 1 of the Sires is not well titled.
Raw food diet, I would be leaning towards a high quality kibble diet over raw food so that may not be a good fit if that is what the pups are used to

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Type Minnesota breeders in the "search" box and you'll find plenty of info!

The first 4 or so listed are ads, so choose the ones that have "/germanshepherd.com" at the beginning of the site line. Some threads are old and some are more recent. You have to search thru them.

Don't limit your area, as other's have said.
For our 3rd GSD, we flew into Montana, rented a van and drove the pup home about 2,500 miles!!!

There are many qualified people here to assist you! A little info will help!

*Which "TYPE" of German Shepherd are you looking for? Show Line? ... Working Line? (see this page for "Types": (Types of German Shepherds, by Wildhaus Kennels ) )

*What activities or sports do you plan on doing with him/her.

*What type of lifestyle do you have that will include the dog?

*Tell a little about yourself/your family!

*What is your price range? (usual is $1,600 to $3,000)

*How far are you willing to travel (hours)?

*Are you willing to have a dog shipped?

Here are some good reading materials!
Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder

http://www.germanshepherdguide.com/h...a-breeder.html

Best of luck!
Moms :)

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
I will certainly look to expand my search. I have to imagine somewhere in MN or the surrounding states I should be able to locate a quality breeder.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this individual? I located them through Hoobly.

lakeviewshepherds (in battle Lake MN)

It seems to hit on all the things I would want to see:

All puppies sold come with Full AKC, 2 year Health Guarantee, 30 Month Hip/Elbow Guarantee, and Lifetime Breeder Support. The puppy selection is based on suggestion by the breeder.
Both parents are on site (i think), OFA certified Hips/Elbows, DM cleared.

The things I am balking at a little are:
Dual sired litter (at least this one I am looking at specifically). I am not sure if this is something to be cautious of. The breeder did say they would be DNA testing the puppies to register them with the correct parents.
The price of 2500-3000+tax seems on the higher end of the range. The breeder and quality of dog may be worth it in this case though although the Dame and 1 of the Sires is not well titled.
Raw food diet, I would be leaning towards a high quality kibble diet over raw food so that may not be a good fit if that is what the pups are used to
dual sired litters are kind of cool. they do DNA to determine which sire it is. Usually happens when the female is reaching the end of her breeding career or the male is limited availability.

Feed whatever you want to feed. If you find a breeder is putting in the contract what they say you HAVE to feed - RUN. I see they are NuVET sellers. Is that in the contract? Sellers seem to put it in the contract that you MUST use this or it voids the contract. Ask them to see the contract.

Are they giving the 1st vaccine at 6 weeks? It implies it on their puppy page. It's way to early. And it ineffective because they still have their mother's immunity.

My personal choice would to pass based on the website. I don't see anywhere that they are working and titling their dogs It appears they are either titled when they come or running on previous generations accolades. You should ask them if they are working their dogs.

Having both parents on site could be a red flag depending on the circumstances. Good breeders will find the right male for the right female and the male will often be owned by someone else.

You asked for "service line" shepherds. What exactly are you asking for? these are show lines. Show will be more expensive. But working lines are not black/red like this. YOu can find black and tan but not red.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Type Minnesota breeders in the "search" box and you'll find plenty of info!

The first 4 or so listed are ads, so choose the ones that have "/germanshepherd.com" at the beginning of the site line. Some threads are old and some are more recent. You have to search thru them.

Don't limit your area, as other's have said.
For our 3rd GSD, we flew into Montana, rented a van and drove the pup home about 2,500 miles!!!

There are many qualified people here to assist you! A little info will help!

*Which "TYPE" of German Shepherd are you looking for? Show Line? ... Working Line? (see this page for "Types": (Types of German Shepherds, by Wildhaus Kennels )[/URL] )

*What activities or sports do you plan on doing with him/her.

*What type of lifestyle do you have that will include the dog?

*Tell a little about yourself/your family!

*What is your price range? (usual is $1,600 to $3,000)

*How far are you willing to travel (hours)?

*Are you willing to have a dog shipped?

Here are some good reading materials!

Best of luck!
Moms :)
I am looking for a companion animal for myself. I believe a show line would be most appropriate for my circumstances.
I primarily plan to include them on walks/jogs and other activities as it makes sense (i.e. lake/cabin).
I am a 29 yr old working professional living in the city.
$3,000 is the upper end of what I was probably looking to spend.
~8 hours drive and would prefer not to ship them, if it was farther I would fly and drive back I think like you had done (and wow that is a hike)

dual sired litters are kind of cool. they do DNA to determine which sire it is. Usually happens when the female is reaching the end of her breeding career or the male is limited availability.

Feed whatever you want to feed. If you find a breeder is putting in the contract what they say you HAVE to feed - RUN. I see they are NuVET sellers. Is that in the contract? Sellers seem to put it in the contract that you MUST use this or it voids the contract. Ask them to see the contract.

Are they giving the 1st vaccine at 6 weeks? It implies it on their puppy page. It's way to early. And it ineffective because they still have their mother's immunity.

My personal choice would to pass based on the website. I don't see anywhere that they are working and titling their dogs It appears they are either titled when they come or running on previous generations accolades. You should ask them if they are working their dogs.

Having both parents on site could be a red flag depending on the circumstances. Good breeders will find the right male for the right female and the male will often be owned by someone else.

You asked for "service line" shepherds. What exactly are you asking for? these are show lines. Show will be more expensive. But working lines are not black/red like this. You can find black and tan but not red.
This is very helpful thank you. I am asking about the diet and supplement and if they are required. I am also asking them about how the parents are chosen and if they are working towards any titles on Laica and King specifically (Dabo is well titled it appears).

AKC recommends first set of vaccines between 6-8 weeks. Do GSD have something with their immune systems that would suggest having the vaccines later in that window? If it is too soon what does that mean from a vaccination standpoint? Should they receive an extra booster of their 6 week vaccinations or repeat them at 8 or 10 weeks?

I meant show line instead of service line (still learning the correct terminologies). I believe the show lines will be better suited to my living situation and lifestyle.

I am inclined to proceed cautiously with this breeder. The distance (~3 hr drive) and availability of male puppies from this litter are very appealing to me right now despite some of these concerns. Dabo/King and Laica all look like very healthy and are beautiful black/red german show lines. The breeder is leaning a bit heavy on pedigree with King/Laica I agree and having all the dames/sires on site likely show limited matching of parents but I am getting some good vibes from the breeder puppy suggestions, health checks/screening, and the questions she is asking of me in our first exchange.

I will continue my search and keep everyone updated on what I decide. Once again I appreciate all the help and feedback through this process and everyone who is sharing their knowledge with me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I decided to move forward with the breeder I found (lakeviewshepherds).
@Jax08 Your feedback was incredibly helpful. I did ask specifically about the food and supplements as well as the breeding arrangements and titling/working. She has very good responses that I felt (along with everything else) gave me a good feeling about the her as a breeder and the parents/litter.

I took your suggestion very seriously and wanted to make sure the answers were appropriate. As I was looking for a companion animal I was not as too worried about the titling (or lack of). Dabo is well titled and King is a service dog in training for her military veteran husband while Laica has her SG Show title. All 3 are also West German showline and adhere to the SV Standard.

I might be placing a little too much premium on the locations (~3 hours drive) and availability (Aug 28) but I am really excited and have a very good feeling about her. I can't wait to post some pictures!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I’m never on anymore because I don’t love Tapatalk but it sounds like you’ve found a breeder.

I don’t really know much about her beyond some cursory interactions on Facebook. She seems nice, but I can’t say one way or another about her dogs because I just haven’t met any of them.

I’m in the city and have a rock solid American/German dog I bought from one of the MSP club breeders. I can take my dog pretty much anywhere and she does great. She didn’t love the State Fair, but she handled herself perfectly appropriately. I recently got another recommendation (ASL) from a trainer and met one of the dogs from this breeder, and this dog would be a phenomenal dog to have in the city.

It does sound like you’re set but PM me if you have any questions or decide to go another direction and want input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts