German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’ve just seen a Breeder for a new puppy and he has white markings on his toes ,tail and chest is this common or should I look else where please help

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Well, I guess that depends. Is the breeder ethical? Do they at least health test the parents? Some white areas aren’t uncommon on a German shepherd, though they aren’t usually as good for showing, and lots of super nice dogs have white on them, even show dogs! Assuming the parents have had the appropriate health tests done and are solid dogs, having some white isn’t an issue. It doesn’t affect temperament or anything like that.

·
Registered
772 Posts
We can’t assume that every new person is Jchrest. That isn’t very fair, though I do get it. That whole thing was extremely confusing.

You're 100% correct....the forum couldn't function if everyone felt like me ( which is that I was snookered by a member)...it's just the similarities in Cavendar (one of her aliases) and the OP name here...well that and the other current thread "Help-what's going on with"...which has an OP with a puppy with white markings also....any way apologies to the OP for the high jack....

OP to your question ....no...white markings are not a deal breaker I've owned 2 from what I considered good breeding that had white toes-one also had a small white spot on his chest but I meant the sire and dam and thought the pups would out grow it and they did mostly...one kept a tiny spot on the rear feet

·
Registered
30,384 Posts
The white on German Shepherds is called residual white. It happens in utero. The color on the chest and toes are the last to develop which is why you see it there most often.

My girl is 1. She still has her white spot. Her sire has a white spot. I've seen puppies from another sire that has white spots. I think there is a genetic component to it as well but it has not been proven for German Shepherds.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Welllll... .Jchrest how you doing
Literally laughing out loud!! I'll tell ya, every suspicious first-post thread has me thinking if it's that wack job. I actually made a similar wise crack yesterday and immediately apologized. I'll never be sure though. Not gonna lie, I did feel a sort of redemption when he/she/it was outed as I called he/she/it out a bunch of times for passive aggressively stirring the pot. Little did I know she was talking back and forth with herself (or grampy). You can't make this sh!t up!

Anyway, OP, I hope you aren't the troll we are speaking of. Do you have any pictures? Also, make sure you meet with lots of breeders. In the end, you will know what breeder and pup is right for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts