German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tonight I discovered Rambo (5 months old) scratching at his left ear. I didn't think anything of it until he started whining occasionally while doing it. I noticed then that sometimes he was holding his ear down more, and shaking his head often.

I looked closer and could see blood right down around the base (on the inside) probably what would be the top of the ear canal??

Anyways, I plan to take him to the vet tomorrow or Wednesday, but in the meantime is this common, or is it most likely something dry skin/allergy related? Should I clean it with a cotton swab and some kind of alcohol?

His skin has been very dry and itchy so I've been trying different foods. Went through two bags of Canidae all life stages with no change, just tonight picked up a bag of the canidae grain free salmon formula to see if that helps. So I wondered if this dryness and/or allergy could be the cause, or if its something else?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
it sounds like he may have an ear infection. either way he needs to be checked out ASAP!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree that he needs to get to the vet, just wondering if in the meantime there's anything I can do to relieve it for him?

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Rambo probably has a yeast infection, and what you are seeing is not blood, but dried, yeasty, ear wax. A trip to the vet is in order for a yeast infection - he'll need anti-fugal ear drops. And if it is not a yeast infection - well, you definitely will need to see a vet, especially if I'm wrong and that is blood in his ear.

Untreated ear infections can lead to permanent damage, so good to catch an infection early at the first signs and get it treated.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
He probably has an ear infection, I'd get him into the vet for proper meds. It could be yeast or bacterial or both so a swab/culture is needed to get the right meds. Could be the time of year, everyone is turning on furnaces so the dry air inside/ cold air outside is making the coat/skin dry. Do you give salmon oil? I'd start supplementing with that after you get him to the vet. When giving fish or salmon oil you also have to supplement with vitamin e. I get human grade(cheaper than the petstore and quality is high) 400iu daily of E and about 2000mg daily of fish/salmon oil. I wouldn't do anything with the ears until you've had the swab done, otherwise you'll squew the results and an infection may not show up. There are home remedy's for ear maintenance, so many on the net....

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I agree that he needs to get to the vet, just wondering if in the meantime there's anything I can do to relieve it for him?

really all you can do until you get to a vet is clean the loose stuff out as best you can and give an allergy pill to help relieve some of the itchy so he doesnt make it worse. 1mg for every lb. so if your dog weighs 50lbs he can have 2 25mg benedryl or store brand allergy meds of the same dosage.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot guys. I'll go get him some benedryl right now. I'm with him almost 24/7 and this is the first I've noticed any kind of irritation what-so-ever, so it should be early enough that no real damage is done! *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. I'll go get him some benedryl right now. I'm with him almost 24/7 and this is the first I've noticed any kind of irritation what-so-ever, so it should be early enough that no real damage is done! *fingers crossed*

keep in mind that if its a yeast infection, your boy will be more prone to getting them often. Zena got her first ear infection a couple years ago and has been getting them since. Her last one required corrective surgery ($600) that my MIL paid for and Zena is living with my inlaws because there is less humidity there so its easier on her. They clean her ears twice a week and she's not had any issues since. Zena's ear infections came on so fast we barely had time to get her to the vet before it required a pretty good amount of antibiotics and other meds to take care of the issue. I wish you luck. Its not fun at all. Hope your boy gets to feeling better soon!

·
Registered
77 Posts
It -could- also be Something Stupid like the puppy getting startled while it was scratching its ear and managing to scratch the inside of the ear, and now it's being weirded out by the blood trickling down. Either way, prolly a good idea to see a vet. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was in fact an ear infection, and as someone had said it wasn't blood just the wax/infection build up.

Now my problem is that I have drops that I have to put in each ear twice a day...and he FLIPS out!! I've tried keeping the bottle hidden but, its pretty big and when he catches a glimpse of it he goes off. I need an effective way to get these drops in there deep enough that they're doing some good. I hate constraining him because a) it just makes him panic, and b) it really doesn't make it much easier when he's lashing around.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
It was in fact an ear infection, and as someone had said it wasn't blood just the wax/infection build up.

Now my problem is that I have drops that I have to put in each ear twice a day...and he FLIPS out!! I've tried keeping the bottle hidden but, its pretty big and when he catches a glimpse of it he goes off. I need an effective way to get these drops in there deep enough that they're doing some good. I hate constraining him because a) it just makes him panic, and b) it really doesn't make it much easier when he's lashing around.
Glad you got him to the vet and know what's going on. I also think my boy has the samething-we have an appt later today. He had a yeast infection in his ears a couple of months ago.

I'm also curious what others say about getting drops in the ear of a dog that flops around like a fish when trying to get drops in the ear! I will be in the same exact boat!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad you got him to the vet and know what's going on. I also think my boy has the samething-we have an appt later today. He had a yeast infection in his ears a couple of months ago.

I'm also curious what others say about getting drops in the ear of a dog that flops around like a fish when trying to get drops in the ear! I will be in the same exact boat!
Rocky has it and we are dealing with it. We wait for bed time when he's pretty settled down and put the drops in at that time. We try not to make a big deal about it so it does not cause him to panic, or flip out. And praise him big time after we get the drops in. It get easier every day.

·
Registered
906 Posts
If you have someone to help you, after he is settled down, have the other person distract him with treats. When we clean Brodys ears (he gets dirt in them from playing) I have my husband grab a handful of treats and let him knibble on them while I squirt the ear stuff in. It's not the best way, but is easier then chasing him around :)

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Onyx is so use to it, she doesn't care any more. I think she knows the drops will soothe her itchies.
Get her allergy shot needle out, and her sixth sense kiks in immediately, she is so smart!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have tried being very calm, and slow about it...spent 1/2 hour trying to do one drop just to see if it would help. I had treats, and got him used to have the drop bottle right around, and even part way in, his ear. But it's nearly impossible by myself. I'll try getting help and trying a calmer approach again. He just has that sense and knows whats coming! I have two weeks of this so hopefully he gets used to it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm sure he will with time! Good luck!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
With Zena we had to lock her pretty tightly between out legs and literally hug her head otherwise we just couldnt get the drops in her ears where they needed to be. Think doggie headlock. Its the feeling of the drops going in their ears. Make sure the drops are warm because the cold going in their ears doesnt help sooth. It tickles too. So hold the drops in your hand or carry them in your pocket for a half hour before you are going to put them in so they're warmer and wont be such a shock. And make it quick. Massage it in gently and then let him shake to his hearts content. Really not much else you can do except restrain the bucking bronco just long enough to get those drops in. good luck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah its crazy, he's only 5 months and a couple weeks, but at 62lbs I can barely restrain him (and I've been a wrestler for 15 years!) lol. I was on the verge of asking the vet if there is some kind of sedative or something to give prior to the drops but...I'll try it again today and see if there's any improvement. I'm just afraid the drops aren't getting down in there deep enough to do what they need to do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts