German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure I'm in the right place, sorry, and I'm going to have a read on posts too but looking for advice.

We have a female gsd/labrador cross who's just 12 months old. We've only had her 3 months so expected problems but not this.

She has started to jump and bite at arms, usually when out for a walk and can't have her own way (very much like when you see police dogs chase and pull down the bad guys) and she'll grab at clothing and try to pull you down. She has bruised but not broken the skin but she is getting stronger.

She is also barking and her hackles are up if people knock on the door.
She also seems to have a dislike of men with long scruffy hair and people in high viz clothing. I really don't want her to attack anyone.

When we are with other doggy friends she plays really nice and shows no signs of aggression.

Please help

Em x

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not sure I'm in the right place, sorry, and I'm going to have a read on posts too but looking for advice.

We have a female gsd/labrador cross who's just 12 months old. We've only had her 3 months so expected problems but not this.

She has started to jump and bite at arms, usually when out for a walk and can't have her own way (very much like when you see police dogs chase and pull down the bad guys) and she'll grab at clothing and try to pull you down. She has bruised but not broken the skin but she is getting stronger.

She is also barking and her hackles are up if people knock on the door.
She also seems to have a dislike of men with long scruffy hair and people in high viz clothing. I really don't want her to attack anyone.

When we are with other doggy friends she plays really nice and shows no signs of aggression.

Please help

Em x
I think that you need obedience training for your dog. You shold be able to tell your dog "no" and have her listen to you. If they do not, then they need more training. Always bring treats with you on your walks and when she listens to your commands, then praise her with treats.
Also, since she is in a new environment and still fairly young, she is probably trying to get a sense of everything around her. Biting and jumping is usually a way for a dog to get a feel for people and her surroundings. However, she should not be able to do as she pleases. Obedience training is a must.
You can by books on obedience training, search the internet (this forum has alot of great tips), or hire somebody.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have got her down on the next obedience training course that starts in August.

Her first owners encouraged her to jump and bite, no idea why, so I think she thinks its allowed still. We're her 3rd owners so no wonder she's confused.

·
Registered
172 Posts
We have got her down on the next obedience training course that starts in August.

Her first owners encouraged her to jump and bite, no idea why, so I think she thinks its allowed still. We're her 3rd owners so no wonder she's confused.
Yup - that makes sense. Great choice on signing up for obedience training. It will make a huge difference and you and your dog will be much happier!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts