German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure where this would go so if it is in the wrong place feel free to move it.

last may i lost my heart dog. i always said i wouldn't get another dog if i lost one of the two i had, to much work, ware on the house, cost of two, etc etc.. well i couldn't handle the void anymore (my boy i still have is different personally then the one lost. he doesnt have that got to be with you all the time personally) and for the last month and half i been looking at rescues, checking out breeders, even went and met one dog but wasn't sure if i was ready or to soon.. my emotions, fears, everything been all over the place with this.. so when i did find a few rescues they ether didn't adopted out state or dogs was already placed... anyways to make along story short... i saw a new posting of a gsd in a shelter about 7 hrs away from here. i called about him and the shelter said he was a nice dog and they spent some time with him, thought he was a awesome dog. so since we had to make trip that brought us about 4 hrs from there, we went and checked him out... and i did it.. i adopted him..he is a 3 1/2 yr old male that was a owner surrender because of job lose. been indoors, only knows sit and shake. owners said he likes to play with balls and sticks.. he needs some training. like a 3 yr old puppy... ball crazy, i think thats all they did with him is play ball..only had him for 3 days. after he gets heeled from his snip snip. i will start working on that. i was thinking and worrying about making a mistake the day i agreed to adopted him. because he was somewhat reserved since he only been there 5 days but he was playful. but the next morning i was more excited and couldn't wait to get him. i told my boyfriend you never know what your getting from a shelter. but i just had a gut feeling about him i hope i'am right. when he settles i well really see how he is. so far he is being that true shepherd shadow that i miss having.

now the question. i don't care for the name he had. i have most the time kept a dogs name if they knew it and its not that bad. i dont care for his name much. for one it sounds to much like come and i will need to teach him this. they called him "Cub"

i dont know how to post pics but here is the link to his petfinder page. note: thats sun shining across his noise i think he may have german line in him.
Adopted German Shepherd Dog: Cub~ pending: Petfinder

after 2 days i narrowed it to 2 names and then 5 hrs ago i thought of another, i kinda like. which one do you like? i need to decide. my problem is i like different names. for my own animals, not over used names or majority of people names.. but i getting to the point i need to decide, so iam not going to worry about this.

'Logan'..........'Griffin'..........'Reno'........or keep current name 'cub'

Thanks for your help and reading this long post..... any advice on teaching a new name.. thanks guys

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I don't care for "cub" either. I like your 3 picks, I vote for Logan only because I know a Reno and a few Griffins

The way I taught Sage his name was to say his name and when he looked at me I marked and treat/praise. I said his name a lot!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Yep, instead of feeding him a true meal, become and walking treat dispenser (treats would be kibble). Doesn't need to be anything formal, just "Logan", he looks and you praise and treat. You can also use a clicker here, if you plan on using that as a method of training. :)

And I like Reno or Logan as names best! :) Although truthfully, all three names are great!

·
Registered
475 Posts
He's beautiful!!!! :) I'm very excited for you.
I like Logan to. I read on another thread a while back that the way someone changed their dogs name was to start with the original then end with the new then slowly drop the old. Eg Cub Logan come. Just a thought. He's already been threw a few changes, perhaps you could try it just till he is comfortable coming to you, I don't think it would take long.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Great looking dog! I have never named any of my pets! Instead I do what you are doing, put their story out (they always seem to have a story) and their pictures and get other more talented namers to make suggestions.

Then I get the final approval. Course I like the '2 name' thing though. Maggie Mae, Elsa Rose, Bretta Lee and then Glory B (then their the cat named Ringo Ray Miles.....)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
He's a gorgeous dog, congratulations! I really like the name Logan for him. I think out of the 3 names you picked, Logan fits him best from looking at his pic. Good luck with picking a name and best wishes to you all!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Congratulations to you, I rescued " YET ANOTHER" last week who was due to be PTS within a matter of days, I would say change the name I have done with all of mine apart from the ones I have had from puppies. I always thought Rommel was a cool name for a GSD

·
Registered
179 Posts
Its funny when people think they don't want another dog..they always end up getting one! There will always be one that pulls on your heart! Congrats on your new addition! So glad to see so many animals in need rescued on this board.

I would have to agree with Logan out of the three names you picked. I have always been partial to picking names from movies for some reason. lol.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
He looks like such a sweetheart! I bet he's gone straight to your heart already. I have to agree, he doesn't look like a "Cub"- Cubby maybe but not a Cub.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition!!!

My vote goes to Logan too (thought Stosh's suggestion of Cubby isn't bad). I always used the "two name" method to rename a dog ... Cub/Logan come! Cub/Logan sit! etc. Then slowly drop Cub and just start calling him Logan.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lol I can see why they called him Cub... He kinda looks like a bear to me and he probably looked like a bear cub as a puppy. :p But I agree, you should change the name.

Logan is a great name (but I wouldn't call my dog that only because I know 2 people named Logan, LOL!) - it suits him! :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your opinion... all my friends and family pick 'Logan'.. iam driving everyone crazy because i cant decide... i know why because honestly don't like to name people names... but everyone suggest it.. and its not bad name but i know a couple people that have named there baby Logan.. iam terrible i ask you all for help and i still cant decide.. if you can see a different name that would fit him but not overly used please suggest..
ill give you a example of the only name i gave to a dog i renamed..'Kuruke' but everyone had problems remembering it so iam trying to avoid that...
everyone is telling to name him already...
this is his personalty so far.. great focus, ball crazy, smart and showing signs of being affectionate and wants to be with you.. really 3yr puppy.. besides all that he is handsome nice gate when he moves.. fast on the run for the ball.. i was trying to come up with two syllables but iam open to one..............
i cant believe how hard time iam having with this no wonder i kept my other dogs names...... please any suggestions .....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Congrats on your new family member. Over the years I have been involved in many rescues, some of which we kept because of health issues. Most of the time I tried to find a name that rhymed with the name they were given at the shelter. One of the dog's name was Rage and she was a Pitbull that was the sweetest little girl. Her name became Sage and it fit her well. Bud sounds like Cub, Buddy like Cubby which is really easy. Something like that.
Some dogs we named from favorite author's books we read or a favorite movie. We like Westerns so our latest puppy became Smokey: from Gunsmoke series and because his eyes are a grayish brown. He is a white GSD so people always ask about his name. I had a GSD many years ago that looked very much like yours does and because she was always right there beside me, you guessed it, I named her Shadow. I know it is a really common name but that is what I would call him. Other wise I like the name Logan best also.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I like the name Logan also. I have fostered many dogs who were in Shelters with no clue what their original name was. They seem to learn a new name quickly especially for food. ;) One thing that I do if I can't make up my mind is I try out different names and see what the dog responds to. They pick their own name. :)

Kristina

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
It is extremely easy to change a dog's name - it doesn't even have to be a name that sounds like the old name. My dogs all end up with lots of nicknames and sometimes those nick names don't sound anything like their real names but they respond just the same. Dogs just don't have the same association with their names that humans do. Just pick a new name that you like and start calling your dog that name. It helps at first to pair the name with treats: say the name and give your dog a treat.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Thanks everyone for your opinion... all my friends and family pick 'Logan'.. iam driving everyone crazy because i cant decide... i know why because honestly don't like to name people names... but everyone suggest it.. and its not bad name but i know a couple people that have named there baby Logan.. iam terrible i ask you all for help and i still cant decide.. if you can see a different name that would fit him but not overly used please suggest..

this is his personalty so far.. great focus, ball crazy, smart and showing signs of being affectionate and wants to be with you.. really 3yr puppy.. besides all that he is handsome nice gate when he moves.. fast on the run for the ball.. i was trying to come up with two syllables but iam open to one..............
i cant believe how hard time iam having with this no wonder i kept my other dogs names...... please any suggestions .....
Since you're kind of rejecting Logan and other people names ...

... and since he enjoys playing ball, his current name is Cub (like in Chicago Cubs), why not somthing with a baseball theme? This idea isn't original - Slider's breeder named a lot of her dogs with baseballl names? Like you could go with Stosh's Cubby suggestion (which I liked as a second choice to Logan).

I know there are better ideas but I came up with a few examples. Catcher. EZ (short for squeeze play or suicide squeeze). Pitcher. Slammer (grand slam). Slugger or Sluggo. Fielder. Bunt. Striker (strike zone, strike 1.2.3, or strike out). And of course as already mentioned Slider (had to say it).

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Well..first..CONGRATULATIONS!
2nd...since you're not totally sure on a name (even though you posted a couple prospects)...
Think perhaps differently?!.....they called him "CUB".
LEO (the Lion), GRIZZ (a bear cub), OSO (bear cub), SOSA (Chicago Cubs), KODIAK (bear cub),
Use you imagination! & Best wishes!
Robin

·
Registered
475 Posts
I really liked Logan, but since you already know some kids named Logan why not compromise and go with Rogan(this is a personal fav of mine). I also like the names Odin, Trooper and Scout. Congrats again he is beautiful.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts