German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm gonna be attempting to tape my 6 1/2 month gsd ears. I have the foam, I didn't have any hair curlers so I took off the handle bar of a dirtbike lol. I have the surgical tape but its not white, its the clear one. Does it HAVE to be the white surgical tape? What's so different about that and this clear tape? Much appreciated

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
I am thinking the handle bar is too heavy and will be uncomfortable. The idea is to guide them to stand not weigh them down.
No knowledge of surgical tape. I think it would be easier for you to do the foam insert with glue method.
Just wait until tomorrow, buy what you need and go for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have taped up my german shepherd and i went through 3 rolls of clear tape and athletic tape and after 4 months of taping and i ran out only 1 ear stood up if u are committed to taping do it just it might not be successful or it will take a while the dog may not like it and take off the tape by shaking his head or scraping his ears on something. once u start i reccommend shaving the area where the ears will tape so the hair won't stick on it and try to keep him/her from bothering it. good luck::)
here is how my dog, he has a reverse mask, looks like now after taping:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/r90/150005_258673524263729_183435638_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/734909_258672154263866_1062136274_n.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am thinking the handle bar is too heavy and will be uncomfortable. The idea is to guide them to stand not weigh them down.
No knowledge of surgical tape. I think it would be easier for you to do the foam insert with glue method.
Just wait until tomorrow, buy what you need and go for it.
It actually ways literally like nothing, its not the handle bar, its the foam that goes on the handlebar, cut it in half and it should be a good size for it, doesn't weigh anything. Ok. Do you have any instructions on the glue method? I'm hoping I don't have to get like some rare glue or something

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
As weird as this sounds. Try Breathe Right strips. They are firm, but not heavy and may be just enough lift your boy needs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
It actually ways literally like nothing, its not the handle bar, its the foam that goes on the handlebar, cut it in half and it should be a good size for it, doesn't weigh anything. Ok. Do you have any instructions on the glue method? I'm hoping I don't have to get like some rare glue or something
Look at the bottom of the Leerburg page:

Oh, foam, OK... I was thinking a plastic cover. Silly me.

Here is the glue.
http://www.torbot.com/ecom/product/featured/147/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have taped up my german shepherd and i went through 3 rolls of clear tape and athletic tape and after 4 months of taping and i ran out only 1 ear stood up if u are committed to taping do it just it might not be successful or it will take a while the dog may not like it and take off the tape by shaking his head or scraping his ears on something. once u start i reccommend shaving the area where the ears will tape so the hair won't stick on it and try to keep him/her from bothering it. good luck::)
here is how my dog, he has a reverse mask, looks like now after taping:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/r90/150005_258673524263729_183435638_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/734909_258672154263866_1062136274_n.jpg
Thanks for the tips. I'm not planning on having the tape on there for that many months, since hs already 6 1/2 months I'm shure there's a cutoff of the ears standing, like 8 months or something. I was just wondering if it mattered white or clear surgical tape cause if not I was gonna do it tonight with clear surgical tape. I'm hoping it will work, otherwise I thin he could look weird as a full grown gsd with floppy ears??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look at the bottom of the Leerburg page:

Oh, foam, OK... I was thinking a plastic cover. Silly me.

Here is the glue.
TORBOT Liquid Bonding Cement-4oz Can
Ok so that's the glue, and you just glue it to the ear itself or? I feel like the tape might be easier for me since I already have the tape and foam and I believe that's all I need, maybe the popsickle stick thing.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Yes, that is the glue.
You also need the remover... do try the tape, but make sure you have the right things and also make sure you keep things clean.
The last thing you need is an ear infection.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also if I do the taping method, should I just use round foam, or cut it in half so it looks like the picture above. Sorry for so many questions. Just want to get it right

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I wouldnt be concerned about how your dog will look with floppy ears as much as I would be concerned with him not having proper vet care... He could get distemper or lepto. or rabies or parvo, or any number of deadly diseases if he does not have the proper shots to protect him against it, the vet could also help you with his ears.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well he also just posted another thread asking about another puppy he has and he has mentioned a boxer too. Are these animals getting proper vet care too?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts