German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Is this food that was recalled or do you mean the food just expired two weeks ago? If it just expired, it probably shouldn't cause a problem. If the dog isn't vomiting or has any other symptoms, he is probably fine.
I would get fresh food right away, though and get rid of the older food.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Does your pup seem fine otherwise? I had a beagle that found and ate a very old leathery squirrel. She swallowed it whole as she ran from us, I thought for sure it would have at least made her ill, but nothing, she was fine, crazy what they are able to eat.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Expiration dates are guidelines not the bible. If your dog is fine that's great. Dump the food if your worried. After two weeks I wouldn't be worried.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have been using cold medicine that expired in 2005. Oops! I didn't die, but I did throw it away. ;)

The date on your dog food is probably a "sell by" date, so it doesn't mean the food is no good.

·
Registered
190 Posts
...and expiration dates are usually to guarantee freshness, not that it goes bad and inedible like milk.

·
Registered
542 Posts
A retailer told me kibble expiration dates are sell by dates not finish by. I have often bought kibble close to or even a little past the bag expiration date for 20 to 60% off the regular price, and have never had a problem feeding it. It is laughable to get worried over something with an April 30 date. Your mom probably knew exactly what she was doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts