German Shepherds Forum banner

Help, any suggestion to reduce scarring?

8K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  krystyne73 
#1 ·
Sasha got into a fight with Macy last week. I am so mad the Vet refused to stitch it. Today the scab peeled of and now she has the large gash on her face. Any suggestions on the best ointment to prevent scarring?

I am not sure how to insert a photo on here to show the wound.

#2 ·
I think your best hope is that the fur grows back. There are scar reducing creams out there for people, but I've not found that they work (have a facial scar and the ointment did nothing to help). Maybe others have had success...

#3 ·
http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m527/Christine_Normand-Durham/?action=view&current=sasha-1.jpg

#7 ·
vitamin E. Puncture the capsule and squeeze out the liquid and put on wound. Try to keep it 'moist' with the vitamin E until it has healed. Vitamin E is actually sticky.

#9 ·
I have liquid Vitamin E oil, would that work? I've been putting Antibiotic ointment on it. She looks awful

#10 ·
Two things: Aloe vera + calendula cream.

Rafi had a run-in with a porcupine and ended up having to have emergency surgery to remove quills that were under his skin. He had several huge scars from the surgery. I applied the above twice a day, putting on the aloe vera and allowing it to dry and then applying the calendula. He healed up very nicely. Calendula is also a natural antibiotic.

If it's still oozy then I would skip the aloe vera and just use the calendula. Once it's healed over you can use both.

#12 ·
Your dog has a full thinkness laceration and your vet refused to stitch it. Did he have a good reason for it? If he didn't have one, I would have found a vet that would stitch it.

One of my previous dogs had a cut on the inside of the ear flap and the vet didn't want to stitch it because she thought it was too small of a lac to be worth sedating the dog to do and was also worried about potential infection. I put my foot down and said he didn't need to be sedated and I wasn't about to let his ear get all puckery from a badly healed wound. She settled for injecting local lidocaine, stitching it, and sending me home with topical antibiotic creme. It healed perfectly.

It's possible your vet was thinking the same thing. Too bad it's too late to stitch now.

#13 ·
yeah, the vet often sends me home telling me I have over reacted ( he didn't charge me for the visit either).
Sasha's dog trainer thought it didn't need stitches either.
The guys pretty much just chuckle at me, like I am a paranoid dog owner, but now I am pretty mad.

#17 ·
well Christmas day it actually had a flap of skin over it. I have been cleaning it and treating with antibiotics. Her whole nose was swollen and her dog trainer laughed at me when I said I had taken her to the Vet for stitches.
This morning the flap(scabbed skin) fell off leaving this wound exposed.

Did I tell you how it happened? Sasha and Meika were running in the yard, play chase , Sasha collided into Macy , my golden retriever mix.
Macy just attacked Sasha and they were in a full blown fight.

#22 ·
yeah, I am still fuming over this. Wish I would have insisted on stitches, but I thought maybe I was overreacting since I am not a professional. I am wondering if the vet had holiday plans and thats why he opted not too. He has dismissed me before on issues so I might have to look at another vet.. He has been my vet for 18yrs ugh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.