German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier in the week after a long run, I noticed my pup having issues with one of his rear legs (lifting the paw, kicking it, etc). This only lasted for less than a day, but during that time he was also somewhat lethargic. He very well could have injured himself but since he never has before, it was enough for me to take him to the vet for an exam, tick panel, etc.

Good thing I did - he tested positive for anaplasmosis. :( Our vet said that his test was a very light positive, but still positive nonetheless. I won't have the results of his CBC until Monday, but he's in excellent physical condition, has no other health issues and is considered asymptomatic.

He's two years old and 73 lbs. The treatment plan could change pending his test results, but right now our vet is starting him on 300mg of doxycycline a day for 2 weeks. From what I've read so far (and I'm still going through all the other threads on this, so bear with me!), this is too small a dosage and for too short a period.

For those of you with experience - should I be pushing for a more aggressive treatment? How often should I be testing him from now on? Help!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To add -

Should I order any additional tests beyond the CBC and tick panel? It was a 4DX done in-house.

What data should I pay extra attention to to formulate the correct treatment plan?

Have your dogs experienced any issues with a prolonged course of doxy?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
my 3 have chronic anaplasmosis, we test positive every stinken year, Masi just turned 5 and has never been negative.

Mine aren't clinical, tho every year I treat them with doxy..5mgs per body weight twice a day.. Masi is 75lbs and hers would be 370mg twice per day, but I give her 400mg twice a day because I get the doxy in 100mg pills. I treat for 2 months.

It's a tough call, especially with mine since they are chronic. I would suggest giving the doxy WITH food and probiotic. Doxy can be hard on the gut.

Whether to test or not, I've been told to test 5months after finishing dosage, but for me, honestly what's the point? They are always positive. Just thankful at this point no one is clinical.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my 3 have chronic anaplasmosis, we test positive every stinken year, Masi just turned 5 and has never been negative.

Mine aren't clinical, tho every year I treat them with doxy..5mgs per body weight twice a day.. Masi is 75lbs and hers would be 370mg twice per day, but I give her 400mg twice a day because I get the doxy in 100mg pills. I treat for 2 months.

It's a tough call, especially with mine since they are chronic. I would suggest giving the doxy WITH food and probiotic. Doxy can be hard on the gut.

Whether to test or not, I've been told to test 5months after finishing dosage, but for me, honestly what's the point? They are always positive. Just thankful at this point no one is clinical.
Thanks, Diane. Your old posts have been really helpful too.

My vet said that she wanted to do some more research and then decide on how much doxy. I told her that I wanted to err on the side of aggressive treatment so long as he didn't suffer too many side effects from the meds. Did you vet suggest that much, or otherwise have any reservations about prescribing the amount?

I'm wondering if I should order any additional tests since there are so many mixed opinions about the SNAP 4Dx, and I really want to know if/how much it's progressed (if that's possible). But I suppose the CBC will provide a better picture? Ahh, information overload right now.

I'm just kicking myself that I didn't think to order the test sooner since ticks are so prevalent around here. He's really healthy otherwise but I'm looking into how I can change/add to his diet to boost his immune system. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
PM LisaT--she knows the dosage.

Also, be sure to give the probiotic two hours away from the doxy or it won't have an effect (the doxy will kill the live cultures).

I hope the treatment is effective and I'm sorry about the diagnosis. It's very good that you were so observant and caught it so soon!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PM LisaT--she knows the dosage.

Also, be sure to give the probiotic two hours away from the doxy or it won't have an effect (the doxy will kill the live cultures).

I hope the treatment is effective and I'm sorry about the diagnosis. It's very good that you were so observant and caught it so soon!
Thanks, Ruth - I've read some of her old posts and will make sure to PM her.

I know he's definitely going to need a higher dosage. The ACVIM recommends 10mg/pound every 24 hours for 4 weeks, but that statement is from 2002. I'll be pushing for 8 weeks, like Diane mentioned. I'm confident that I can tweak his diet to manage whatever side effects that may occur.

My big worry at this point is how long this has potentially been in his system. My pup is only two years old but there's absolutely no getting away from ticks here, regardless of how diligent I think I've been. He had bloodwork and a urinalysis back in August and had normal WBC, normal kidney function, etc. I haven't seen any ticks since late fall, so he's been positive for at least 5 months. I really hope he's been asymptomatic and stays that way, but I think I'll have to count his recent lameness episode (it may have been really brief but still abnormal). He also had an annoying bout of lip fold pyoderma (which may be a stretch of a correlation, but it is immune-related).

Now to start looking up what foods interact with doxycycline and how to boost his immune system...

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Hopefully the doxy will do the trick! I know it's hard but worrying about how long it's been in his system or not testing him earlier does absolutely no good now. Best to send healing vibes his way and go easy on yourself instead! :)

Only Natural Pet has some good immune boosters with mushrooms. Buffered vitamin C is good and also helps with inflammation.

Lip fold pyoderma is endemic in gsds. I wouldn't worry about that too much--it's the rare gsd I see who doesn't have it!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
my vet was on board with the dosage, (I have a vet who has no problem being open minded).

I think doing the CBC and kid/liver function is good. Last year I did a PCR test on Masi, but frankly it was worthless, didn't tell me anything I didn't know and cost a bundle..

Definitely get a hold of Lisa..she is much more up on the testings than I am..

I agree with Ruth, doesn't do any good wondering/worrying about how long it's been in his system.

I'm in "lyme" and ticks are a fact of life around here, tho most of the times you will never find the tick disease ticks on the dog since they are so minute.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: CBC came back normal. We're starting on 800mg/day for the next two months. 480 pills = 480 wrestling matches. :eek: They need to make doxy in bigger dosages! Still thinking about doing a urinalysis but will wait a few weeks.

I know there was another thread that touched on this, but man, the prices for doxy vary wildly. I called about seven pharmacies and got quotes into four figures. All the pet sites are OOS for a while too. Luckily my vet should have enough to fill my order at a reasonable price.

Looking into Only Natural Pet now - thanks, Ruth!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
good that the cbc is normal..and yes doxy has absolutely skyrocketed, it's totally ridiculous..

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Last year I paid 39.99 for 500/100mgs doxy, now it's more close to 500 bucks!

Ok, I admit it, I ordered the same amount off of ebay (fish doxy) for 47.00 bucks, quite leery to do this, since it came from Thailand! I had my pharmacist check them out, and it's doxy, I ordered them on april 1 and got them on april 9.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: We're just about halfway into our doxycycline adventure. The first two weeks were trying for the both of us - normal stools, but almost immediately Beckett had a huge decrease in appetite and became extremely picky. What he'd eat happily one day would be rejected the next. Still working on keeping his diet balanced for the duration; adding Pepcid AC seems to help a bit with his food tolerance.

Unfortunately, food pickiness = inability to hide supplements (of which there have been many). In the short amount of time before the immune add-ins arrived, he became itchy and flaky, and developed chin sores and mange-like rashes on his muzzle and feet. But now that he's settling into his regimen, everything is back to normal skin-wise. Most notably, the persistent lip pyoderma he's had for months is gone! Not sure what exactly got rid of it but I'm thrilled.

Here's what he's on (all in pill form):
Doxycycline - 400mg (2x/day)
Flaxseed Oil and Vitamin E (2x/day)
Only Natural Pet Immune Strengthener (2x/day)
Garden of Life Probiotic (2x/day)
Garden of Life Multivitamin (every other day)
Pepcid AC (1x/day)

I'm ordering a urinalysis this week just to make sure things are still normal, but otherwise we'll work through the food issues and continue for another month.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
thanks for the update Nina, sometimes the doxy can cause stomache upset/diarhea, using the Pepcid AC is a good idea..

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the update Nina, sometimes the doxy can cause stomache upset/diarhea, using the Pepcid AC is a good idea..
I've only been adding the Pepcid for about a week and there's a slight improvement, and I'm debating if I should add slippery elm as well. I don't think he'll get his old appetite back until we're finished with the doxy anyway, so the priority now is to make sure I keep a large variety of foods on hand so he'll eat enough. Thankfully he hasn't lost much weight (at least visually).

It's going to be fun when this is over and he realizes we're not playing the "Oh, you don't want to eat this? Let me switch it with something else!" game anymore...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts